Florida

Old Sep 1st 2011, 2:59 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In your dreams sunshine.
I jest of course!
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You do not understand at all

Well your task this week is to find it
Yeah right. I'll make it my top priority.

Originally Posted by ljaw2002uk
I jest of course!
Of course...that's what we do here.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah right. I'll make it my top priority.

Course you will sweetheart
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the task is carried out by one's wife.
The servants, surely?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 3:43 am

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicolaH
Gosh i think I might be in Culture shock. We have green card so permanent residency.

New Yorkers living down here have said food is much better up North. I find the food here very salty. My daughter has lost a stone in weight. The Dr said she was too pretty and naive and must be careful mixing with locals.

It's too hot to go out and the beaches here in Brevard don't allow dogs!

I think I lost my sense of humour when a car smashed into the back of me and no one understands my humour! Oh and I don't know any expats here.

Thanks for everyone who helped x
Hi Nicole,

Culture shock can be sneaky and make you react in ways you wouldn't normally. I once burst into tears in a West London Safeway (after being in the country about five months) because I couldn't find a flavour of crisps I liked (just SALT! Come on, who needs Roast Chicken an Mustard flavour crisps anyway??) It does get better. A car accident definitely doesn't help anyone feel at home. How long have you been in the US?

New Yorkers in Florida - or any transplants - will have their own preferences from home and their own culture shock to deal with and they will always say certain things are better back home. You will know your daughter better than your doctor does. There may well be perfectly healthy reasons that she has lost weight. And yes, it'll be hot right now but in a couple months it will start to turn really nice and you will be out in short sleeves in February while the rest of the country is bundled up in parkas.

Give it some time - a full year at least. Approach it with the mindset that Florida is a place that you CAN leave in the future if you want to; you're not chained to it. Sometimes that realisation can help shift the blues.

Have you tried asking on the Meetups area to see if there are any fellow expats in your region?
Old Sep 1st 2011, 4:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Culture shock...two pieces of advice I was given often ring through my head.

#1 It would be easier to adjust to life in the US if English wasn't the first language.

#2 Life in the US isn't better or worse than the UK...it's just different.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Montreal is noticeably much more European in feel than anywhere else in North America that I've visited. A moot point, most likely, as the OP's probably wanting to stay in the US, but just thought I'd mention anyway.
Nice - look forward to visiting then. I've heard similar things about Quebec City e.g

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=128317

Also heard good things about the beer from Unibroue

#1 It would be easier to adjust to life in the US if English wasn't the first language.
Don't know about that. My brother was forced to move to France last year and has found the language the hardest thing. In fact he is too scared to leave the house a lot of the time and comes back to the UK to do stuff like get his hair cut.

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, well apart from Portland, though it's getting that way, anywhere decent you've listed is in a order of magnitude more expensive to live in than Florida. Andover is cute though, but it's tiny. Wellesley has a lovely town centre, but very expensive. Northampton, getting a bit isolated, but a lovely town, decent size and far more affordable if you're able to work out there.
If I recall - having passed through your town earlier this year as a teaching job for the missus was advertised there - it was very walkable and it has a pub just off the main street with Speckled hen and a host of other beers on tap. Probably helps if you speak a bit of Spanish or Portuguese.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Sep 2nd 2011 at 1:05 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Culture shock...two pieces of advice I was given often ring through my head.

#2 Life in the US isn't better or worse than the UK...it's just different.
So true, so true, so true
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Nice - look forward to visiting then. I've heard similar things about Quebec City e.g

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=128317

Don't know about that. My brother was forced to move to France last year and has found the language the hardest thing. In fact he is too scared to leave the house a lot of the time and comes back to the UK to do stuff like get his hair cut.

If I recall - having passed through your town earlier this year as a teaching job for the missus was advertised there - it was very walkable and it has a pub just off the main street with Speckled hen and a host of other beers on tap. Probably helps if you speak a bit of Spanish or Portuguese.
What I meant was because Americans speak English many Brits assume living in the US is going to be similar to the UK. If one moves to a non English speaking country you are more prepared for the culture shock.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 3:02 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

What I meant was because Americans speak English many Brits assume living in the US is going to be similar to the UK. If one moves to a non English speaking country you are more prepared for the culture shock.
Agreed. DH often commented, when we first arrived, that because most things were so similar he was often thrown for a loop when suddenly encountering the different parts.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC

That beer is amazing!

And my town, it's pretty walkable, but unless you are down town, not very practical in winter as the snow banks are mean. There's a few pubs in town, one of which is really good, the one with 80 odd on tap....and yeah, this place has a massive Brazilian population
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 4:46 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the task is carried out by one's wife.
Washing Ironing Food Etc
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

No.

I don't know what the original question was, but 'Florida' is in the title - so no.
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
No.

I don't know what the original question was, but 'Florida' is in the title - so no.
Aha... you were fooled this time.

OP wants to get OUT of Florida, not try and get in
Old Sep 2nd 2011, 7:25 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicolaH
My daughter has lost a stone in weight.
I lost a stone in my first few months. New food, hot weather, drinking so much water I didn't fancy much food. We moved a year ago today. In the first few months I found it too hot to walk the dog any distance. I got used to it. I find some of the doctors have an unusual sense of humor. My annual well woman check got described as a chance for a good rummage around

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.