Florida

Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida

Originally Posted by avanutria
That's what I'm wondering - whether the doctor felt the girls would choose to engage in unsafe practices, or whether the physical area that they are located in is actively or passively hazardous in some way. If the girls decide to engage in risky behaviour then that's hardly the fault of Florida. They could do that anywhere, if they really wanted to.
Nicola needs to elaborate on all of her points really.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Nicola needs to elaborate on all of her points really.
You have to laugh though, finally someone who doesn't want to live in Florida
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I know
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:31 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
However, having their own business suggests that they could have gone anywhere and chose Florida, meaning they had once been like everyone else

No offence Nicola, I don't think any of us get what we were expecting when we moved. I agree with Mummy though that you have described most of the US in the things you don't like, maybe the US just isn't for you, either that or you just need to give it more time to get used to all the bad points and accept them as part of living here.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:20 am
Just Joined

NicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really niceNicolaH is just really nice

Originally Posted by tonrob
Maybe try England?
What was the point in that?

<My husband runs a big business employing a lot of Americans and pays a lot of Tax. I was just saying I don't like Florida and talking to a lot of Europeans here they feel the same.

Sorry to bother posting.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 3:30 am
Yes, I know i'm awesome.

ljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond reputeljaw2002uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicolaH

<My husband runs a big business employing a lot of Americans and pays a lot of Tax. I was just saying I don't like Florida and talking to a lot of Europeans here they feel the same.

Sorry to bother posting.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 5:12 am
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

It was humor, Nicola. Lighten up a bit.

You initially gave scant information as to why you dislike Florida, and even less about what you would like.

The salty food - do you cook yourself? Surely Florida has the equivalent of farmer's markets, Sunflower Market, Whole Foods etc?

So you don't like the people? Are you hanging out with a lot of ex-pats?
If so, don't.

The notion that the further North you go, the more it's like England is, frankly, hooey. Unless, perhaps, you make it to Canada.

Also, what visa are you guys here with? If an E2, your daughters are close to aging out.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Aug 31st 2011 at 5:14 am.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
The notion that the further North you go, the more it's like England is, frankly, hooey. Unless, perhaps, you make it to Canada.
There's an element of truth to it though. Most of Florida seems to be post 1960 sprawl development with little sense of place and my inlaws that vacation there tell me they would hate to live there full time because of that - it's full of retirees and transients. New England has it's fair share of sprawl on the edge of towns but it still has the old town centres - some of which are in disrepair but many of which are booming. The populations are more settled and there are decent bars (got a couple in walking distance of my house). I mean it's not exactly the same as England by any stretch but I think it's less of a culture shock.

I don't know if Canada is any more like England than the US (aside from the healthcare). It just seems that each region of Canada corresponds to it's counterpart to the south - i.e Quebec and the Maritimes are like New England, Ontario is like the Midwest. British Columbia is like PNC etc...

Originally Posted by Dan725
What kind of business is it - I guess the key thing will be to move somewhere your business can be successful...if you move to somewhere where its going to be a flop, you'll end up unhappier than you think you are now. If I were you I'd do some research and have a look-see about where it might prosper.
Having said all that; this is probably your biggest priority.

Last edited by HumphreyC; Aug 31st 2011 at 11:22 am.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:30 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicolaH

Sorry to bother posting.
Sorry you didn't find that funny (many did, though). My attempt at humour based on the fact that your criteria were to find somewhere more like England and less (basically) like America!

I know when I'm in a stressful spot another's attempt at humour often falls flat (I sometimes resort to punching them in the face). I hope you find what you're looking for soon!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:32 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Florida

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
I don't know if Canada is any more like England than the US (aside from the healthcare). It just seems that each region of Canada corresponds to it's counterpart to the south - i.e Quebec and the Maritimes are like New England, Ontario is like the Midwest. British Columbia is like PNC etc...
Montreal is noticeably much more European in feel than anywhere else in North America that I've visited. A moot point, most likely, as the OP's probably wanting to stay in the US, but just thought I'd mention anyway.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I think that some parts of the NorthEast do resemble the culture of Europe in parts. Florida is mostly sprawl, it is very much a car culture and is mostly new development with identakit houses. Older towns in the northeast have a defined town center with more walkability, neighborhood shops, parks. There are older brick houses, European style landscaping. I'm thinking of Boston, Cambridge, Andover MA and Portland ME. In Portland I can park my car and walk to bakeries, restaurants and parks. There are older brick town homes all around and lots of people walking and riding bikes.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Actually I think that some parts of the NorthEast do resemble the culture of Europe in parts. Florida is mostly sprawl, it is very much a car culture and is mostly new development with identakit houses. Older towns in the northeast have a defined town center with more walkability, neighborhood shops, parks. There are older brick houses, European style landscaping. I'm thinking of Boston, Cambridge, Andover MA and Portland ME. In Portland I can park my car and walk to bakeries, restaurants and parks. There are older brick town homes all around and lots of people walking and riding bikes.
Some of the countryside around where I live looks very much like England but the culture is not the same.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Some of the countryside around where I live looks very much like England but the culture is not the same.
Yes the country side in New Jersey does have those rolling hills and farms. I think the culture in the northeast in different to England but I still bet it's closer than Florida. I enjoy visiting Florida but feel more settled (well settled is a strong word since I want to move back) in New England. People in New England eat baked beans and shepherds pie! I bet they don't in Florida.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Thing is, well apart from Portland, though it's getting that way, anywhere decent you've listed is in a order of magnitude more expensive to live in than Florida.

Andover is cute though, but it's tiny. Wellesley has a lovely town centre, but very expensive. Northampton, getting a bit isolated, but a lovely town, decent size and far more affordable if you're able to work out there.

Then again, come winter, there'll be very little walking no matter which town you move to
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Thing is, well apart from Portland, though it's getting that way, anywhere decent you've listed is in a order of magnitude more expensive to live in than Florida.

Andover is cute though, but it's tiny. Wellesley has a lovely town centre, but very expensive. Northampton, getting a bit isolated, but a lovely town, decent size and far more affordable if you're able to work out there.

Then again, come winter, there'll be very little walking no matter which town you move to
I love the summers here in NJ...but I hate the winter months.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.