Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

Old Feb 16th 2008, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

I am looking to go this summer, but with travelling on my own with 3 kids, I ONLY want to go direct from Orlando to Manchester. If any one has a heads up when Virgin releases their cheaper summer rates, please let me know! Unless an airline starts flying direct from Tampa to Manchester which would make it even easier.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

If you are looking at Virgin, check out their Miles plus Money fares as well - for a small number of airmiles you can sometimes get a much reduced fare. Even if you are not already a member of their mileage club, you can purchase the miles and it sometimes still works out cheaper than the regular fare. A friend of ours did this last year when they came out to visit us.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 5:39 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danfan
Ahhhh yes, their fees. That's probably it.
Orbitz typically charges an extra $5 a ticket on airfares, so don't be expecting too many savings.

Also looking to take a trip home at same time as you - at the minute prices seem to be about 30% more than they were last year.

Last edited by BigDavyG; Feb 16th 2008 at 5:56 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

We always fly from Newark to Manchester with Continental and find that the cheapest time seems to be 3 months before our departure date. We are heading back this July and at the moment the flights are coming up at $800 + taxes so fingers crossed these prices will come down otherwise it's going to be an expensive trip. We also went back last summer and I seem to remember the prices started around $700 but we managed to book (about 3 months before) and got them for approx $400 + tax.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
We always fly from Newark to Manchester with Continental and find that the cheapest time seems to be 3 months before our departure date. We are heading back this July and at the moment the flights are coming up at $800 + taxes so fingers crossed these prices will come down otherwise it's going to be an expensive trip. We also went back last summer and I seem to remember the prices started around $700 but we managed to book (about 3 months before) and got them for approx $400 + tax.
I would say $700 is about right for a July/Aug flight on that route. My inlaws paid around for a flight in June 1999 and they booked months in advance.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 2:39 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Flights to UK - are prices even higher?

This website apparently monitors airfares from US airports for domestic flights, to Mexico and to Europe and informs you whether you should 'buy now' or wait before going ahead with the booking as it forecasts when the fares should go down.

I've seen this website listed in travel reports in 'Budget Travel' and "Travel and Leisure' magazines:

http://www.farecast.com

Example of fare predictions and price fluctuations (Newark to London Heathrow from Feb 16 - March 16)

http://www.farecast.com/flexibleTrav...&destPort2=LHR

(click on to the next page and you can see which fares are rising and which ones remain steady etc)

Last edited by Englishmum; Feb 17th 2008 at 2:48 am.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

belfastflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Continental fly to a lot of local UK airports (Belfast, Edinburgh, birmingham, Gatwick and I'm pretty sure there is another...) and AA, CO, US and DL fly to dublin so there is plenty of choice
Old Feb 17th 2008, 12:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by belfastflyer
Continental fly to a lot of local UK airports (Belfast, Edinburgh, birmingham, Gatwick and I'm pretty sure there is another...) and AA, CO, US and DL fly to dublin so there is plenty of choice
That would be Manchester.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

yorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond reputeyorkshirelass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would say $700 is about right for a July/Aug flight on that route. My inlaws paid around for a flight in June 1999 and they booked months in advance.

I agree -- I would snap that up for July!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

BeachBunny is an unknown quantity at this point

When I started out searching for fares from LAX to LHR I was looking at over $1000 each... I signed up with farecompare.com and they emailed me when prices started coming down. I ended up booking our flight (last half of Sept) for $671 each total (includes tax, fees, etc) r/t. When we went back 2-1/2 years ago in the same timeframe we didn't book until closer to the time and paid just over $800 each.

Good luck... funny think is that I always wished we lived on the East Coast so that our flights would be cheaper... doesn't seem to be the case.
Old Feb 17th 2008, 5:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BeachBunny
When I started out searching for fares from LAX to LHR I was looking at over $1000 each... I signed up with farecompare.com and they emailed me when prices started coming down. I ended up booking our flight (last half of Sept) for $671 each total (includes tax, fees, etc) r/t. When we went back 2-1/2 years ago in the same timeframe we didn't book until closer to the time and paid just over $800 each.

Good luck... funny think is that I always wished we lived on the East Coast so that our flights would be cheaper... doesn't seem to be the case.
It's usually the route that accounts for the price...as opposed to the distance. There are far many airlines flying into LHR from the US than Manchester...thus greater competition which results in cheaper fares.