Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flights in June

Flights in June

Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold
Default Flights in June

I usually fly back to the UK with my family each year between March and May, when there are generally lower prices. However, this year we have a wedding to attend on June 21st.

Have been monitoring flights from New York to London for a while on Kayak, and have seen the prices inch down recently - currently the best price is on Continental for $903 (including taxes). I was recently excited when I got a BA "summer fare sale" email, only to find the prices were $399 each way plus taxes.

So, question...anyone think that airfares in June are likely to get any lower ? Is it worth waiting until Open Skies comes into effect to see if there are any sales ? Trouble is, June is kind-of summer, and fuel is a bit expensive right now, so I'm caught in indecision land. Any (reasonably relevant) thoughts much appreciated.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all
Default Re: Flights in June

Last June we travelled on Virgin from DC to London for about $660 each and we were pretty pleased with that, especially to be travelling on Virgin. I reckon you probably could do better than $900 on Continental if you are up to risking it, but I'd suggest checking really regularly. We are flight-watching for July, but all pretty expensive at the moment.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 9:52 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur
I usually fly back to the UK with my family each year between March and May, when there are generally lower prices. However, this year we have a wedding to attend on June 21st.

Have been monitoring flights from New York to London for a while on Kayak, and have seen the prices inch down recently - currently the best price is on Continental for $903 (including taxes). I was recently excited when I got a BA "summer fare sale" email, only to find the prices were $399 each way plus taxes.

So, question...anyone think that airfares in June are likely to get any lower ? Is it worth waiting until Open Skies comes into effect to see if there are any sales ? Trouble is, June is kind-of summer, and fuel is a bit expensive right now, so I'm caught in indecision land. Any (reasonably relevant) thoughts much appreciated.
Open Skies is in effect. All the airlines have now published their timetables for the summer, March 30 onwards so that will not effect prices as there will be no additional services added now.

Last edited by lansbury; Mar 13th 2008 at 9:54 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:39 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Flights in June

Try taking a look at

http://www.farecast.com

The box on the right has a predictor based on previous airfare patterns.

Airlines constantly check flight loads based on past history to predict which flights are likely to be full and flights likely to have fewer passengers and base their fares on these patterns.

The 'predictor' (sounds like that brand of pregnancy testing kit sold in the UK) on Farecast indicates if it's best to 'buy now' or to 'wait' as fares will drop for the route and dates you want to travel. It's not an exact science I suppose but probably the best predictor you will get based on your original question!

By the way......Air India from JFK to LHR is coming up as the cheapest fare for the Summer ($871 in July)...! Also the 'Tip' is to "Buy" - Prices Steady or Rising - 80% confidence (based on Newark EWR to LHR which is my personal setting as I live closer to EWR) . You will see this prediction just above the graph on the left hand side. Also the fare predictor may even show how many seats are still left on that particular flight at that fare...eg. 3 seats left.

Last edited by Englishmum; Mar 13th 2008 at 10:55 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 10:47 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to look for is an 'added' flight--i.e. a service they add in the Summer only. It's not going to be necessarily cheaper, but it might not be as fully booked, meaning you have a chance at a cheaper ticket from the inventory available or better, you have a chance for a spare seat next to you (to stretch out).

Some airports add a morning flight (which I really like and recommend) during the Summer months.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Flights in June

Originally Posted by penguinsix
One thing to look for is an 'added' flight--i.e. a service they add in the Summer only. It's not going to be necessarily cheaper, but it might not be as fully booked, meaning you have a chance at a cheaper ticket from the inventory available or better, you have a chance for a spare seat next to you (to stretch out).

Some airports add a morning flight (which I really like and recommend) during the Summer months.
How do you find an 'added flight'?

Whenever I travel to the UK I try to take the morning flight on BA from Newark which operates year-round and departs around 8am-8-15am......this flight almost always has plenty of spare seats in all classes as it's too early for passengers transferring from domestic flights elsewhere within the US.

Best of all, you arrive at LHR at around 8pm and the terminal is usually very quiet at this time (it will be interesting to see how the new T5 will be operating!) but I do like to get to my destination in London or the Midlands, then I'm ready for bed straightaway and it's easier to get over the jetlag.

I hate arriving in the UK after being on a red-eye for just under 7 hours, having had little sleep on the plane and trying to stay awake for the rest of the day. My husband does it on business trips and heads from the airport straight into meetings. I don't know how he does it - I would be like the living dead!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinosaur

We too are going in June (16 - 30 tentatively) and I was really excited last night when I saw the BA email about the summer fare sale - even though we live in Seattle. Ugh.....what a let down! And I'm still looking as well, will consider leaving from any reasonable airport and landing somewhere between London and Edinburgh.....
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The prices go up once school is out. We were originally going in June, now August, ours cost $890 and it was more in June. So it sounds like a reasonable price.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The prices go up once school is out. We were originally going in June, now August, ours cost $890 and it was more in June. So it sounds like a reasonable price.
Isn't that odd? I noticed they were cheaper in August as well. I would have thought the reverse. But, August isn't an option for us now, especially since BIL has re-done his travel plans to accommodate us.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:35 pm

Post Re: Flights in June

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Isn't that odd? I noticed they were cheaper in August as well. I would have thought the reverse. But, August isn't an option for us now, especially since BIL has re-done his travel plans to accommodate us.
I think a lot of American colleges and schools (eg. in Florida) have their new academic year beginning in August! Perhaps demand drops for departing and returning flights at this time for the US market.....

I have to go to the UK in July...I'll have to see if I can use a combination of cash and FF miles..
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

mumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud ofmumof4 has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Englishmum;6059989]Try taking a look at

http://www.farecast.com

The box on the right has a predictor based on previous airfare patterns.

That's a great link, thanks!! Does anyone have any thoughts on best way to get a one-way ticket (home!) mid-July? Would there be much price difference to leave earlier or is it determined by USA vacation not UK school holidays?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Appologies to Dino for taking this slightly off-topic.

When I booked my flight to the U.S. I purchased a return-ticket with no real intention of using the return portion. I purchased the ticket through Expedia, so it is an E-ticket and the return is June 04.

I just wondered is there anything I can do with the return part, for example would I be able to change the name on the ticket so that someone else could get some use out of it or even extending the period of validation? Any suggestions, or I am just resigned to letting it expire?
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

if u collect airmiles a lot of new stuff is happening including the use of the airmiles to pay for just one way of ur ticket instead of having to clock up enough airmiles for return tickets!!!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to beholddinosaur is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to everyone for their input...thinking I may bite the bullet, since on balance I kind of need to be able to have confidence to plan...so, be prepared for a fantastic fare sale the week after I book
I usually like to fly to LGW which has mean CO from EWR....however, noticed that now they're using 757s on the route - presumably they're flying their 777s to LHR. Not sure about a 5 year old and a 3 year old on a narrow body over the Atlantic
Old Mar 14th 2008, 1:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

the 757s are actually quite alright going, coming back is a bit of a pain. The one thing you have to think about is hand luggage, it does get quite tight! so dont bring all the heavy coats and stuff because u end up with them at ur feet! pack light on the hand stuff!! There are no individual monitors on the seat backs which is a pain when u have kids... but everyone seems to have their own nowadays anyway!

and it doesnt take ages to get fed.. less people less hassle.