Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flight to UK: tax is more then flight used to be.

Flight to UK: tax is more then flight used to be.

Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flight to UK: tax is more then flight used to be.

Just looking at booking, 2 flights NYC - Heathrow. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
When did the taxes + addons, get to this?
Total taxes, fees, charges and surcharges. This includes the September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per segment, and carrier imposed fuel and insurance surcharges. NOW $217.00 per person ECONOMY.

I flew into UK Feb 2005, taxes etc, $106.00? Not so long ago was
£10. Okay 15 years ago. But $217!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seems like someone is Gouging, guess can't report the Government?
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:56 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Flight to UK: tax is more then flight used to be.

Originally Posted by frrussre
Just looking at booking, 2 flights NYC - Heathrow. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
When did the taxes + addons, get to this?
Total taxes, fees, charges and surcharges. This includes the September 11th Security Fee of $2.50 per segment, and carrier imposed fuel and insurance surcharges. NOW $217.00 per person ECONOMY.

I flew into UK Feb 2005, taxes etc, $106.00? Not so long ago was
£10. Okay 15 years ago. But $217!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seems like someone is Gouging, guess can't report the Government?
Reg. Frank R.
I was shocked too when I booked my two flights. Who are you flying with? I'm flying virgin for the first time. Hope they're good.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I was shocked too when I booked my two flights. Who are you flying with? I'm flying virgin for the first time. Hope they're good.
Personally, I think they're the best.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I fly AA, BA & Virgin. All good, but have found in recent years Virgin are to cocky, think they sing the "We are the best" company song every morning. They are certainly the most booked up flights, though have less actual flights then the others. My only argument with them is if you complain (Even really, really politely) they are no longer your friend "How dare you question them. Plus In Feb, they charged me about $500 extra for the door seats, surcharge paid at the counter. Wife 5'11 son 6'4". Having paid $2200 for 3 seats, (Most ever paid for economy) they refused to give me air miles. On any or all, of the trip. They said "I got the special, discounted flight"
Reg. Frank R.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 7:30 pm

Shahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of lightShahlax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by frrussre
I fly AA, BA & Virgin. All good, but have found in recent years Virgin are to cocky, think they sing the "We are the best" company song every morning. They are certainly the most booked up flights, though have less actual flights then the others. My only argument with them is if you complain (Even really, really politely) they are no longer your friend "How dare you question them. Plus In Feb, they charged me about $500 extra for the door seats, surcharge paid at the counter. Wife 5'11 son 6'4". Having paid $2200 for 3 seats, (Most ever paid for economy) they refused to give me air miles. On any or all, of the trip. They said "I got the special, discounted flight"
Reg. Frank R.
I just joined their frequent flier program. Will get the card once I do one return flight. Is it any good?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

britchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud ofbritchicknyc has much to be proud of

You need to shop around. BA and Virgin's taxes are around $217 (from NYC) but American's are more like $100 and a bit.

I know for sure that BA added a fuel surcharge recently, and I assume Virgin did too, judging from the high taxes and fees.

Do shop around....
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm flying on Monday OKC to MAN (via ORD), American Airlines - the tax on my ticket is $114.95, booked direct with AA online at beginning of September.
Maybe taxes have risen since then, but that seems a very steep rise!!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:00 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dimsie
I'm flying on Monday OKC to MAN (via ORD), American Airlines - the tax on my ticket is $114.95, booked direct with AA online at beginning of September.

DOH! - your figure is for 2 tickets?? Hmmm.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just joined their frequent flier program. Will get the card once I do one return flight. Is it any good?
Yes, I have used it previously. Though last 2 trips have been more point restricted. 2 years ago, they only gave me points for half the flights, say JFK - LHR. They said return was at a discount so no points. Then as I said previously, this Feb 2005 they told me after I requested missing points. No points, because discounted flights.
Reg. Frank R.
I prefer American Air points.
But if your getting rewards points from any airline or hotel, car rental. Join and take them, does not cost you a dime. If your paying for membership, thats another thing.
Reg.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dimsie
AA quote: $388 + 107 tax etc = $495 x 2 = $1000.

BA: $298 + $217 tax etc = $515 x 2 = $1030.

VA: $288 + $217 tax etc = $505 x 2 = $1010.

Odd AA says fare higher taxes lower. The other 2 lower fares & higher taxes.

Either way, this is the price $1000, we paid in the past for 3 tickets. More inflation I guess.

Or just another way for them to play games. BUYER BEWARE.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 4:50 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

My Continental flight ABQ -> IAH -> LGW has $104 in taxes for Christmas. BA would have been almost $300 in taxes. So, yeah, it really pays to shop around.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

A year and a half later, this crazy tax pricing is still going on.

Just looking to book some flights, taxes are running at $173 per person with BA, and that's cheap; some others (Virgin) are over around $270 a person.

It is what it is, I suppose - I'm just wondering which side it is who is doing the ripping off. Flying around the US a lot as I do, taxes appear to be pretty reasonable for internal flights, but not sure how the US fares internationally.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
My Continental flight ABQ -> IAH -> LGW has $104 in taxes for Christmas. BA would have been almost $300 in taxes. So, yeah, it really pays to shop around.
Are the taxes not based on the number/location of takeoffs? For my upcoming TUS-IAH-LGW (3 US takeoffs, one UK takeoff) return the taxes have all been itemised on the receipt. The UK Air Passenger Duty, for just one take-off from the UK, is greater than the sum of all the other US taxes and fees. The total tax is significantly lower than what I paid for my last PHX-LHR-NCL return, which has 3 UK and 1 US takeoffs..
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

The increase is partly due to passenger air duty in the UK $80.00ish for long haul economy tickets.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6258327.stm
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:36 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Personally, I think they're the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.