Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flight prices/question.

Flight prices/question.

Old Oct 14th 2010, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flight prices/question.

I used to get really good deals with Best Travel but right now they are running about the same as Expedia. I am looking to go back to the UK net Feb flying GRR-NCL so far the best price I have is $1514 for me and my youngest daughter, booking direct with KLM. Anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations on travel companies? I have tried Delta, United, KLM, Expedia, Orbitz and Best travel.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight prices/question.

Opodo and Travelocity are sometimes worth trying but random dates gets similar prices to what you've got. You've already looked at the airlines' own sites which is what I would have recommended next. Sadly air fares are so expensive these days.

There is a website (or maybe a few) that allow you to make an offer, or bid for non-specific flights. But beware as the connections and flight times can be horrendous since you can't choose the flights, nor know beforehand exactly what you're bidding for.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
There is a website (or maybe a few) that allow you to make an offer, or bid for non-specific flights. But beware as the connections and flight times can be horrendous since you can't choose the flights, nor know beforehand exactly what you're bidding for.
Yeah I would not risk that traveling with a 4 year old. I did find one fare that was slightly less but it had a 12 hour lay over in Amsterdam, no thanks!

Didn't think of Travelocity, thanks.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, air travel is definitely getting more expensive ...

While booking in advance is generally a good idea, you don't want to book too far in advance - there usually don't seem to be any good deals on flights that are more than 6 months in the future - you might want to wait a bit and watch the prices to see if anything cheaper shows up - don't leave it too long but I don't think it would hurt to wait another month or two.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 9:52 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
I used to get really good deals with Best Travel but right now they are running about the same as Expedia. I am looking to go back to the UK net Feb flying GRR-NCL so far the best price I have is $1514 for me and my youngest daughter, booking direct with KLM. Anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations on travel companies? I have tried Delta, United, KLM, Expedia, Orbitz and Best travel.
Will this help?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689595

Rene
Old Oct 14th 2010, 10:52 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if it's in time, but Citi is offering AA credit cards with 75,000 and 100,000 mile introductory offers until the end of the month. It's possible to get two of them (Mrs tonrob and I got two each) so you can net 300,000 to 400,000 AA miles per couple (which should last at least a couple of trips).

Flyertalk's your friend.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 11:41 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
theres a post in the trailer park on BA sale, fly by April something. Check that one out.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Yes, air travel is definitely getting more expensive ...

While booking in advance is generally a good idea, you don't want to book too far in advance - there usually don't seem to be any good deals on flights that are more than 6 months in the future - you might want to wait a bit and watch the prices to see if anything cheaper shows up - don't leave it too long but I don't think it would hurt to wait another month or two.
Very true.... Also, looking at sites like www.farecompare.com might give you an idea of a good time to buy....
Old Oct 18th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Booked this weekend, paying $1514 for me and my 4 year old, geez I remember when I first moved here and paid $400 to fly back oh well I look at it this way, if you break it down the each flight is only costing $126. Ended up booking with best travel as they were the same as KLM in the end but had better flight options. Thanks to everyone who replied.