Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Flexible Spending Accounts - Total Sham

Flexible Spending Accounts - Total Sham

Old Jan 19th 2014, 3:59 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flexible Spending Accounts - Total Sham

That's good for you guys. Perhaps your accounts are in good places.

We were offered HSAs managed by HSA Bank this year. Our plan has no minimum balance, waives some of the fees, and "allows" us to avoid the rest. However, one look at their fee schedule for regular customers gave me a bad vibe, so I'll let my colleagues try it out for the first year.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Not sure how many others here take advantage of FSA's but I'm counting myself in the no camp as of next year. Apart from seemingly always having to provide receipts for everything (makes you feel like you are cheating them), I just had a situation that proves that corporate robbery is alive and well.

Back at the end of Nov I had some dental work done. Paid $260, which was my ESTIMATED co-pay on the FSA card. Two weeks later (mid Dec) I get the usual 'please submit more details' email, which I duly do. Just after Christmas I get a letter from my dentist with a check for $116 attached saying that insurance paid more than the estimate and here's the difference back. Around Dec 28th I get an email saying that the FSA overpaid and they want my money back! By the time I contact them it is the new year and they are insisting that they get repaid for the overpayment.

I ask ok, fine, but since my company didn't allow a roll-over (IRS changed the rules late last year and most companies decided not to allow roll-overs) what will happen to the money? Get this -they tell me that since we are into the new year and my plan doesn't allow for a roll over the money is forfeited (going to my employer with a service fee deduction). I don't blame my employer here BTW.

So my money, that I have in my bank account (and yes I would pay tax on it if that were an option) has to be repaid and I have no option to spend it. Of course if I had any money left before the end of the year I would have spent it but I didn't due to the FSA's tardiness in getting this all figured out.

At this point I am getting more than a little annoyed and ask what will happen if I don't repay. They said they would suspend my FSA (which they have done), they would report me to the IRS and the account will go to collections along with penalties and interest. To cap it all since open enrollment is now closed, I can't withdraw from this years FSA contributions, which are $50 per month. So basically they are holding me over a barrel.

I can't wait for open enrollment this year to select no on the FSA. Good riddance!

Grr

- Tim, Aka grumpy old man
Just an update, I managed to find a receipt from last year that was $0.60 short of the amount I 'owed'. The claim was accepted but then they refused to unfreeze my FSA account as I 'owed' them $0.60. I eventually paid the $0.60 with 60 checks for 1c each. I had to put it in 3 envelopes and the mailing cost was something like $5-6 for all those checks (and the associated form for each one). I hope the processing cost for each check is going to add up to a tidy sum for these cretins. Roll on open enrollment. I tried pointing out that even the IRS would not care if the amount was <$1 but oh no, it had to be repaid. This was the most painful way I could think to repay this amount. Muppets.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

My FSA debit card experience has been great. Been using it for 5 years. I've probably submitted 10 receipts in that time.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rose tea
My FSA debit card experience has been great. Been using it for 5 years. I've probably submitted 10 receipts in that time.
I can't remember the last time I had to submit a receipt. As my FSA is administered by my health insurance provider, they automatically pay any out of pocket medical expenses I have. Plus the debit card can be used for things like vision expenses.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 8:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I can't remember the last time I had to submit a receipt. As my FSA is administered by my health insurance provider, they automatically pay any out of pocket medical expenses I have. Plus the debit card can be used for things like vision expenses.
I have not been requested for receipts since before I switched to a HSavA more than three years ago. I don't know if the is a difference in the way that a savings a/c is administered.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

I gave up on mine. The last HR person we had couldn't tell me if I had to almost immediately spend the money put into my FSA account during xmas week in that tiny time window since it didn't roll over. They just recommended on stocking up on contact lens solution, which you can't even do now the law has changed.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
I gave up on mine. The last HR person we had couldn't tell me if I had to almost immediately spend the money put into my FSA account during xmas week in that tiny time window since it didn't roll over. They just recommended on stocking up on contact lens solution, which you can't even do now the law has changed.
They gave you bad information. With an FSA you are legally entitled to spend what the entire year's contribution would be on Jan 1st of that year. Most years I seem to end up at some point or other with having spent more than the deposits I've made up to that point in the year.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Since HSAs roll over, why wouldn't that be the preferred route for employers to seek out, rather than FSAs?

I should add that I know this sounds too easy, so perhaps I'm missing some really important points. In which case, someone will be along to tell me.
Old Feb 7th 2014, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Since HSAs roll over, why wouldn't that be the preferred route for employers to seek out, rather than FSAs?

I should add that I know this sounds too easy, so perhaps I'm missing some really important points. In which case, someone will be along to tell me.
HSAs must be used in conjunction with IRS-approved high-deductible insurance plans; FSAs can be used by any employee regardless of insurance (or lack thereof).

As pointed out previously, $500 max in an FSA account can be rolled over from this tax year onwards.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 7th 2014 at 8:51 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2014, 12:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Everytime I spend an amount over $100 I have to submit proof (more than a receipt) or my account becomes suspended.

I submitted the hospital receipt to say I was using $500 to pay towards M's Stent procedure. The receipt had the date of service, the facility name and the name of the doctor and showed the money was for a cardiac procedure. They still want more information. When I called they told me to fax a copy of the insurance EOB That has less information than I already sent them...crazy
Old Feb 8th 2014, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

FatFrank is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had a HSA for the last few (4?) years and have never had to submit a receipt, although the small print says that they can ask for them. Whatever I have left in the account at the year end rolls over, but that is usually a nominal amount. I max out my pre-tax contribution to the HSA each year and practically spend it all each year on "normal" medical expenses!......that is the total sham. The cost of healthcare in the US is disgraceful.