Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fla. to Investigate 34-Minute Execution

Fla. to Investigate 34-Minute Execution

Old Dec 15th 2006, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Fla. to Investigate 34-Minute Execution

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Dec...cution,00.html

Defense attorneys and death penalty opponents were outraged Thursday over an execution in which the condemned man took more than half an hour to die, needed a rare second dose of lethal chemicals, and appeared to grimace in his final moments.

"I am definitely appalled at what happened. I have no doubt he suffered unduly," Angel Nieves Diaz's attorney, Suzanne Myers Keffer, said after Diaz died by injection.

Executions in Florida normally take about 15 minutes, with the inmate rendered unconscious and motionless within the first three to five minutes. But Diaz took 34 minutes to die and appeared to be moving for most of that time.

Prison officials promised to investigate but insisted Diaz felt no pain and that it was not unexpected a second dose would be required, because liver disease had affected his ability to metabolize the drugs. They offered no explanation for the grimace or why officials did not adjust the dosage from the start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am no advocate of the death penalty, and this does seem to have taken far too long. It would be nice if the death penalty was phased out in Florida, and the U.S. as a whole. But it will not be happening any time soon, the death penalty and politics are too interwoven in this country for it to happen.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:09 pm
Tool

Old William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond reputeOld William has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fla. to Investigate 34-Minute Execution

Never mind...if he hadnt brutally murdered someone then he'd not have suffered himself. I'm fairly sure his victim wasnt too pleased to suffer at his hands either but he was given no choice.

For every action there is a reaction.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 5:12 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Old William
Never mind...if he hadnt brutally murdered someone then he'd not have suffered himself. I'm fairly sure his victim wasnt too pleased to suffer at his hands either but he was given no choice.

Exactly.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 7:51 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

So, if it's the suffering you are worried about, are you OK with bringing back beheading instead. I understand it's nice and quick. Looks like that form of punishment was right all along...

And yes, for those that believe we can still see/think with our heads chopped off, we can leave a dance video of Paula Abdhul playing in the basket <- Now that's suffereing
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Kingfisher, a quick question to you, What was your occupation ?,I ask so as not to insult your obvious intelligence once you reply.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Fla. to Investigate 34-Minute Execution

Originally Posted by Dogbyte
Mr Kingfisher, a quick question to you, What was your occupation ?,I ask so as not to insult your obvious intelligence once you reply.
My intelligence is fine thanks, yours I have doubts about, seeing as you need to flaunt it so much.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:18 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Which bit of Stockport do you live in? I ask so as to assess your intelligence.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond reputeDogbyte has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Which bit of Stockport do you live in? I ask so as to assess your intelligence.
I asked his occupation as to judge his knowledge of the act of murder and its resulting aftermath.Intelligence consists of known facts to express an opinion.On location, the south side, but worked the biggest shith*les all my service.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 8:55 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

On location, the south side, but worked the biggest shith*les all my service.
I have friends in Bramhall.

I am staunchly anti-death penalty.

However, even were I not, I would still be against torturing killers to their deaths, on the principle that if we are in part killing these people to remove them from society so that they cannot kill again, and not simply for revenge, then the killing should be as humane as possible. Why should they die humanely when their victims did not? Because they are dying in the name of the state and society, and we judge ourselves to be morally superior to them. We should prove it.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2006Dec...cution,00.html

Defense attorneys and death penalty opponents were outraged Thursday over an execution in which the condemned man took more than half an hour to die, needed a rare second dose of lethal chemicals, and appeared to grimace in his final moments.

"I am definitely appalled at what happened. I have no doubt he suffered unduly," Angel Nieves Diaz's attorney, Suzanne Myers Keffer, said after Diaz died by injection.

Executions in Florida normally take about 15 minutes, with the inmate rendered unconscious and motionless within the first three to five minutes. But Diaz took 34 minutes to die and appeared to be moving for most of that time.

Prison officials promised to investigate but insisted Diaz felt no pain and that it was not unexpected a second dose would be required, because liver disease had affected his ability to metabolize the drugs. They offered no explanation for the grimace or why officials did not adjust the dosage from the start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am no advocate of the death penalty, and this does seem to have taken far too long. It would be nice if the death penalty was phased out in Florida, and the U.S. as a whole. But it will not be happening any time soon, the death penalty and politics are too interwoven in this country for it to happen.
Wonder if the person he murdered suffered less that 34 minutes.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

However, even were I not, I would still be against torturing killers to their deaths, on the principle that if we are in part killing these people to remove them from society so that they cannot kill again, and not simply for revenge, then the killing should be as humane as possible. Why should they die humanely when their victims did not? Because they are dying in the name of the state and society, and we judge ourselves to be morally superior to them. We should prove it.
I used to live on the border of Bramhall/Cheadle Hulme.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:07 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Old William

you got there before me old bill

not much sympathy from me i'm afraid.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are totally entiltled to your own opinion and I will not try to sway you either way.However I asked the original question so that I could give MY opinion having dealt with aggressive deaths on so many occasions.Your friends in Bramhall, will ,if contacted remember the young girl aged 19 years of age, outside the pub, who whilst waiting for her boyfriend inside was dragged out of her car by a young man who had asked her for a cigarette.When she said she didn't smoke he took a carving knife to her throat and slit ear to ear.Then he stabbed in the heart.He then walked off to eventually kidnap another young girl in another part of the town and forced her to drive him to N/Wales where he raped her twice.He was found to be sane and entirely understood what he had done.(He was upset at a domestic problem)That was 1999.He was released this year on licence ?.I had the pleasure! of standing for over 8 hours in the tent with her body and then tranporting it to the Mortuary. I have been involved in many Murder and serious assaults invetigations, so speak from experience.The death penalty is there as a deterent and in my opinion they wait too long in the states to implement it, looking for reasons not to carry it out etc.Until we find a more humane way of exercising this method then the lethal injection will do just fine.In every aspect of life we all have to make a choice.If the circumstances are such then you pay the price if you make the wrong one.The word Revenge does not come into it in my book,I carried out the requirements of the LAW of the country.In the particular case, which this is about I accept that something obviously went wrong but a lesson was learnt.I apologise for the length of this but I try to give a sensible conversation on such an important matter.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

You are totally entiltled to your own opinion and I will not try to sway you either way.However I asked the original question so that I could give MY opinion having dealt with aggressive deaths on so many occasions.Your friends in Bramhall, will ,if contacted remember the young girl aged 19 years of age, outside the pub, who whilst waiting for her boyfriend inside was dragged out of her car by a young man who had asked her for a cigarette.When she said she didn't smoke he took a carving knife to her throat and slit ear to ear.Then he stabbed in the heart.He then walked off to eventually kidnap another young girl in another part of the town and forced her to drive him to N/Wales where he raped her twice.He was found to be sane and entirely understood what he had done.(He was upset at a domestic problem)That was 1999.He was released this year on licence ?.I had the pleasure! of standing for over 8 hours in the tent with her body and then tranporting it to the Mortuary. I have been involved in many Murder and serious assaults invetigations, so speak from experience.The death penalty is there as a deterent and in my opinion they wait too long in the states to implement it, looking for reasons not to carry it out etc.Until we find a more humane way of exercising this method then the lethal injection will do just fine.In every aspect of life we all have to make a choice.If the circumstances are such then you pay the price if you make the wrong one.The word Revenge does not come into it in my book,I carried out the requirements of the LAW of the country.In the particular case, which this is about I accept that something obviously went wrong but a lesson was learnt.I apologise for the length of this but I try to give a sensible conversation on such an important matter.

I think it would be a good idea to leave them in a room with the relatives of the victims. That's what I would want if anyone harmed my daughter....and yes it would be extremely slow and extremely painful.
Old Dec 15th 2006, 9:27 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I think it would be a good idea to leave them in a room with the relatives of the victims. That's what I would want if anyone harmed my daughter....and yes it would be extremely slow and extremely painful.
Thats exactly how i would feel, if anyone harmed someone I loved. I would want the person to suffer as much pain as possible...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.