Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

FL Driving Licence SSN and Buying a car!

FL Driving Licence SSN and Buying a car!

Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Porkis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FL Driving Licence SSN and Buying a car!

Ahh right, I see where I went wrong .. visa to enter with, then GC to stay
Righty .. I was just cutting to the chase .. we have Green Cards, or at least we will have Green Cards after we have presented out temporary visas to initially enter the country with ..
See there's a rumour going around that every thread on the BE USA forum, no matter what the original starting topic is, ends up as an argument over what visa the OP has or hasn't got, or may or may not be entitled to, but this topic surely proves that it's clearly just a rumour
Thanks for all the info so far folks, it's very much appreciated
Old Oct 24th 2016, 5:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porkis
Noorah101, nope, we got our "temp" GCs at the embassy in London, and will be sent the proper ones once we have a US address to send them to

Porkis
Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like you currently have immigrant visas (there's no such thing as a temp green card). Once you use the immigrant visas to enter the USA, the visa will be endorsed and will serve as a green card until the plastic one comes in the mail.

But you don't currently have green cards. Might sound picky, but terminology is important.

Rene
Old Oct 24th 2016, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Porkis
I'm confused, and somewhat frustrated!
Clearly, that's true!

I was just cutting to the chase ..
No, actually - you weren't. Because a visa is not a pass into the country as you and the web site you plagiarized seem to think. It is a travel document only. Nothing more, nothing less. It allows you to get on a plane, fly to the US, and then ask permission to enter. Entry is never guaranteed!

... we have Green Cards...
No, you don't.

... we will have Green Cards after we have presented out temporary visas to initially enter the country with ..
All visas are temporary. They all have expiry dates. So, either you have a visa or you don't. The term "temporary" is totally misleading.

This may not be important to you, but it's important for those who might read your thread after you're done with it. Immigration terms are not interchangeable!

Ian