Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

fixing a camera

Wikiposts

fixing a camera

Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:57 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fixing a camera

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Very good point. Also, it is more expensive / difficult to put a zoom with 28mm wide-angle on a camera than a zoom with a 35mm wide-angle; so often, you will only see 28mm on the more expensive models, and - on a camera with 28mm wide angle, you may see less of a total zoom factor. That is - you may see 28mm-90mm (3.2x), compared to other models with 35mm-140mm (4.0x). In general, you'll get more benefit from the former, even though it has 'less' zoom factor, and may cost more.
Wide zooms can add to the price - but I'd rather pay for a wide zoom on a model that's been out a year than the same price for a newer model that only goes 38mm.

I just got a Panasonic Lumix jobby that goes to 25mm and I'm really happy with that. It's amazing how much difference a couple of millimetres makes at the wide end. Got some great pictures with it.
Old Nov 8th 2010, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
Wide zooms can add to the price - but I'd rather pay for a wide zoom on a model that's been out a year than the same price for a newer model that only goes 38mm.

I just got a Panasonic Lumix jobby that goes to 25mm and I'm really happy with that. It's amazing how much difference a couple of millimetres makes at the wide end. Got some great pictures with it.
I have the Lumix LX3, which goes down to 24mm, and at a pretty impressive f2.0 to boot. They've just released the LX5, which has similar specs but a bit more zoom. I'm tempted to buy the LX5 but I need to find out more about what else they've improved from the LX3 ... and make sure they didn't change anything for the worse!
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Ooh, can I guess? SD1000?
I got one of them. Great little camera
Old Nov 8th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I have the Lumix LX3, which goes down to 24mm, and at a pretty impressive f2.0 to boot. They've just released the LX5, which has similar specs but a bit more zoom. I'm tempted to buy the LX5 but I need to find out more about what else they've improved from the LX3 ... and make sure they didn't change anything for the worse!
As a professional photographer, my advice is to let your feet do the zooming as much as possible....The average compact camera, despite advances in technology, just just doesn't produce good images using zoom.

Apart from my work camera, I have a Sony Cybershot W90, cost me about $100 refurbished, great little thing! These days you can't go wrong on most cameras over $80.