fix-me-ups

Old Jan 30th 2007, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

linda and nick is an unknown quantity at this point
Question fix-me-ups

I expect to receive my Green Card shortly and having 40 years experience in the Uk on house renovations and building, would like to become involved with fix-me-ups in Florida - where I will live.

Does anyone know whether there would be restrictions on me carryiong out this sort of work eg. permits, licences etc., as I would hope to resell the properties after renovation.

Thanks,
Nick
Old Jan 30th 2007, 11:50 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fix-me-ups

Originally Posted by linda and nick
I expect to receive my Green Card shortly and having 40 years experience in the Uk on house renovations and building, would like to become involved with fix-me-ups in Florida - where I will live.

Does anyone know whether there would be restrictions on me carryiong out this sort of work eg. permits, licences etc., as I would hope to resell the properties after renovation.

Thanks,
Nick
Everything has to have a permit, a licence is required for virtually everthing as well ....but with a GC ..not a great problem... at the moment in Florida the housing market is at a standstill...but will no doubt come back eventually ..
try www.thefloridaforum.us as well
Old Jan 30th 2007, 12:59 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Probably yeah. It all depends on how much you are going to be doing. If you are just fixing up your neighbors hole in a wall or something small (what is known as a handyman type job), than you might be able to skate without it (doubtful though). If you are hiring employees, or making an addition, or doing something else that would require zoning (planning) approval, then you'll probably have to be a licensed contractor (and bonded with insurance). You'd probably want to incorporate as an LLC (Limited Liability Company) to give your assets protection against any liability should the house you build explode or something.

If you are working for someone else, you probably wouldn't have as many requirements.

Apparently there is an exam to be a licensed Florida contractor (google search it). http://www.contractorsexamprep.com/Licensing_steps.htm is one company offering a crash class to help you learn the ins and outs (i.e. the Florida requirement for # of outlets on one wall, etc, etc).
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:49 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

You can't personally do more than one fixer upper a year as they will hound you to get your general contractor's licence if you do more, because you're doing it for 'commercial purposes'.

In order to turnover more than 1 house, you would either need to hire a General Contractor or become one yourself, a tad difficult if you've never worked in the States. To be a General Contractor you need to take a course, write the exam, have $10k liquid in the bank, get verified by a licenced contractor/architect, and have a bond of $1 Miillion.

Just off the top of my head here......

http://www.examprep.org/InfoDialog/18.html
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:09 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
You can't personally do more than one fixer upper a year as they will hound you to get your general contractor's licence if you do more, because you're doing it for 'commercial purposes'.

In order to turnover more than 1 house, you would either need to hire a General Contractor or become one yourself, a tad difficult if you've never worked in the States. To be a General Contractor you need to take a course, write the exam, have $10k liquid in the bank, get verified by a licenced contractor/architect, and have a bond of $1 Miillion.

Just off the top of my head here......

http://www.examprep.org/InfoDialog/18.html

wow

florida is pretty restrictive - 1 a year?