Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Five go on an adventure

Five go on an adventure

Old Oct 23rd 2018, 8:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Five go on an adventure

So, my life this year has been an interesting one. I'm not sure if I have mentioned it here at all, but I was laid off at the end of April, after my company sold a big package of assets. I went to a few job interviews over the following months, but nothing ultimately came of them. I did pick up some good contracting work for a couple of months, but that finished in August. Me being free left us able to do this, though:

Yes, we've just moved from Texas to Anchorage, AK, with my wife's work. I'll be driving kids to and from school and keeping the house running for a while, but I will be looking for work in my field too. It's going to be cold and sometimes challenging, but we're all looking forward to it. The first snow is probably coming next week.
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Five go on an adventure

Wow what a large move in every sense of it
Old Oct 23rd 2018, 10:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I envy you the move. Alaska is a beautiful state, regardless of the weather, and Anchorage is one of the major cities. Enjoy the change and I'm sure you will be a great cook and bottle washer for the family until you find employment.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I envy you the move. Alaska is a beautiful state, regardless of the weather, and Anchorage is one of the major cities. Enjoy the change and I'm sure you will be a great cook and bottle washer for the family until you find employment.
Thanks Rete,

Yes, it's beautiful, and it's great to be somewhere less flat. The school for the younger two is nestled up close to the edge of the mountains above the city, and the sunrise after I dropped them off on Monday was a great welcome.

And I'm OK with not working for a while. It gives me time to help everyone settle in, and there's plenty to explore when I'm not keeping the household running.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Owen778
Thanks Rete,

Yes, it's beautiful, and it's great to be somewhere less flat. The school for the younger two is nestled up close to the edge of the mountains above the city, and the sunrise after I dropped them off on Monday was a great welcome.

And I'm OK with not working for a while. It gives me time to help everyone settle in, and there's plenty to explore when I'm not keeping the household running.
Wow - Congratulations, I'm sure it'll be a great experience.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Owen
Bold move and certainly a major change of scenery. I made it to Alaska a few times doing Navy Reserve Duty. We just passed thru Anchorage on the way to remote sites along Bering Sea. I and probably many others would be interested in hearing more about your adventure as it unfolds.
Old Oct 24th 2018, 9:16 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, man, I'm sorry. Arkansas sucks. Keep your chins up, things'll turn around soon.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Oh, man, I'm sorry. Arkansas sucks. Keep your chins up, things'll turn around soon.
So does the OP's SatNav device if it took him through Arkansas!
Old Oct 25th 2018, 2:54 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

So, my life this year has been an interesting one. I'm not sure if I have mentioned it here at all, but I was laid off at the end of April, after my company sold a big package of assets. I went to a few job interviews over the following months, but nothing ultimately came of them. I did pick up some good contracting work for a couple of months, but that finished in August. Me being free left us able to do this, though:

Yes, we've just moved from Texas to Anchorage, AK, with my wife's work. I'll be driving kids to and from school and keeping the house running for a while, but I will be looking for work in my field too. It's going to be cold and sometimes challenging, but we're all looking forward to it. The first snow is probably coming next week.
You mean you're running away from Houston crazy weather. From all the chemical plants. From the flat ugly scenery. From the humidity and the mosquitoes. From the hurricanes and the flooding.

And you are happy to leave? Wow, you gave up the Texas life for somewhere else. Really there is no pleasing some people!

Seriously, I am totally envious and really pleased for your new adventure. Well done that man ( and his family)
Old Oct 25th 2018, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Owen
Bold move and certainly a major change of scenery. I made it to Alaska a few times doing Navy Reserve Duty. We just passed thru Anchorage on the way to remote sites along Bering Sea. I and probably many others would be interested in hearing more about your adventure as it unfolds.
Thanks, it's all going well so far. It's unseasonably warm this year, so we've arrived before the first snow, which will most likely come on Sunday or next week. The kids have had no break from school, and that seems to be working well. We're going to have them try out skiing and/or snowboarding and sledging over the winter, but we won't be exploring the rest of the state much until spring arrives.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You mean you're running away from Houston crazy weather. From all the chemical plants. From the flat ugly scenery. From the humidity and the mosquitoes. From the hurricanes and the flooding.

And you are happy to leave? Wow, you gave up the Texas life for somewhere else. Really there is no pleasing some people!

Seriously, I am totally envious and really pleased for your new adventure. Well done that man ( and his family)
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Honestly though, we were pretty lucky with where we were in Houston. We lived in one of the nicest parts of the suburbs, with lakes and trees and plenty of walking paths. Harvey didn't flood any of the houses in our own neighbourhood, though it did hit many places along Cypress Creek and Little Cypress Creek in other parts of Cypress, some only a couple of miles to the north. And the chemical plants are all much closer to the coast and the Ship Channel.

That said, I won't miss the flat terrain, or the humidity and mosquitoes, or the hundreds of identikit strip malls, or the highway traffic.

Alaska is going to be amazing in many ways, but the winter is going to be very dark and very cold. Time will tell if that becomes a problem.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 6:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

This is one move that you'll have to keep us up to date with - I think most of us have considered Alaska at one point or another.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 1:02 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Honestly though, we were pretty lucky with where we were in Houston. We lived in one of the nicest parts of the suburbs, with lakes and trees and plenty of walking paths. Harvey didn't flood any of the houses in our own neighbourhood, though it did hit many places along Cypress Creek and Little Cypress Creek in other parts of Cypress, some only a couple of miles to the north. And the chemical plants are all much closer to the coast and the Ship Channel.

That said, I won't miss the flat terrain, or the humidity and mosquitoes, or the hundreds of identikit strip malls, or the highway traffic.

Alaska is going to be amazing in many ways, but the winter is going to be very dark and very cold. Time will tell if that becomes a problem.
You've not escaped mosquitos or black flies, unfortunately. They are bred even bigger in Alaska, I understand.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

davenay67 will become famous soon enough

Good luck on the move!

That's quite a change in weather, the heat of Texas to the cold of Alaska.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 8:45 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davenay67
Good luck on the move!

That's quite a change in weather, the heat of Texas to the cold of Alaska.
AK is Arkansas, not Alaska; that's AL. Dumasses in this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.