British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fitness instructor jobs in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fitness-instructor-jobs-usa-748352/)

into_thewild Feb 13th 2012 12:08 pm

Fitness instructor jobs in USA

Hello,
I have posted before that I am looking to move to the US (long term ambition) however the main obstacle is what the heck would I do when I'm there?
Right now I'm a journalist for a local newspaper in the UK which is a great job.
However given the state of the industry just now I am doing a part time course on becoming a qualified fitness instructor at the moment. I'm pretty fit and I do a variety of classes (spin, circuits etc) and I'm a gym nut so I thought why not, it'll give me another option if the worst happens.
I was wondering if anyone knew what the job situation in the fitness industry? In the UK it seems to be doing well considering, and is one of the few sectors that has reported growth.
Any input would be most welcome.
PS I have dual nationality so don't need a visa.

Poppy girl Feb 13th 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Fitness instructor jobs in USA

Originally Posted by Windolow (Post 9899391)
Hello,
I have posted before that I am looking to move to the US (long term ambition) however the main obstacle is what the heck would I do when I'm there?
Right now I'm a journalist for a local newspaper in the UK which is a great job.
However given the state of the industry just now I am doing a part time course on becoming a qualified fitness instructor at the moment. I'm pretty fit and I do a variety of classes (spin, circuits etc) and I'm a gym nut so I thought why not, it'll give me another option if the worst happens.
I was wondering if anyone knew what the job situation in the fitness industry? In the UK it seems to be doing well considering, and is one of the few sectors that has reported growth.

I read the jobs page every day just out of curiosity and to see what's going on, and fitness instructors are a dime a dozen, where you are thinking of locating to in the US, but in CA there are plenty of posts each day, not so sure if Alaska would have such a demand (no offense Jan :) )

into_thewild Feb 13th 2012 3:47 pm

It would probably be the East Coast- family lives there. To be honest I didn't expect much joy in that sector either. Looks like if I move it'll be "would you like fries with that", if I would even get that sort of job ;)

Octang Frye Feb 13th 2012 5:36 pm

I would say your main obstacle would be obtaining a visa.
Unless you are already a citizen or have some kind of status here.

IPM Feb 13th 2012 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Windolow (Post 9899391)
Hello,

CrossFit is still fairly big here. That might be a niche to think about

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 13th 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 9899863)

Most of the trainers I have come across are self employed, basically the Gym gets a cut.

Bit like Hairdressing, if you can build up a clientèle, that is the biggie.

caleyjag Feb 13th 2012 6:20 pm

If you have dual nationality why don't you just come over for a while and test the waters?

I can't imagine you could organize being a fitness instructor without people meeting you in person first.

Not a good day to be a Rangers fan :cool:

Noorah101 Feb 13th 2012 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 9899863)

Read the last sentence in Post #1.

Rene

Octang Frye Feb 13th 2012 6:44 pm

Whoops. Reading comprehension fail. Apologies.

Bob Feb 13th 2012 6:53 pm

Depends.

Each state and cities within them will have different demands.

If you had a reputation and networked in it, you could probably get some work in the burbs of Boston for personal fitness in the richer towns like within the 3 W's.

Probably pretty tough getting a job in a gym though, especially one that wasn't on commission based sub work.

into_thewild Feb 14th 2012 9:32 pm

Thanks for all your input. I will look in to the CrossFit thing.
CaleyJag...I have thought about coming over and testing the waters but right now I have a job here (touch wood) so there's no point in shipping up just yet. It is a plan for the future though. I am going to try and get some spin classes at a gym on some sort of freelance basis when I finish my course. Wxperience would help I'd imagine.