Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fit Like NEW YORK

Fit Like NEW YORK

Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about
Default Fit Like NEW YORK

Hi

I am coming over to New York from Scotland in a months time with my wife and our two friends.

We are going to be staying at the Waldorf Astoria, which I believe is pretty central for all the touristy stuff.

Can anyone give advice on any Scottish pubs in Manhattan, also was thinking of taking my kilt, is it advisable to do so??

Thanks

Bill
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fit Like NEW YORK

Wow the Waldorf. You will be two blocks from me every Monday through Friday ;-) Prime location for sightseeing. Don't know about the Scottish Pubs in the city but the kilt is usually worn by the police and fire departments during parades and/or funerals. Not saying that you shouldn't bring it. Will come in handy if you were to be here to for St. Paddy's Day on the 17th of March ;-)

Rete

Originally Posted by BillnLinz
Hi

I am coming over to New York from Scotland in a months time with my wife and our two friends.

We are going to be staying at the Waldorf Astoria, which I believe is pretty central for all the touristy stuff.

Can anyone give advice on any Scottish pubs in Manhattan, also was thinking of taking my kilt, is it advisable to do so??

Thanks

Bill
Old Jan 20th 2005, 11:55 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Wow the Waldorf. You will be two blocks from me every Monday through Friday ;-) Prime location for sightseeing. Don't know about the Scottish Pubs in the city but the kilt is usually worn by the police and fire departments during parades and/or funerals. Not saying that you shouldn't bring it. Will come in handy if you were to be here to for St. Paddy's Day on the 17th of March ;-)

Rete
Be a bit bloody cold though, don't you think, for a kilt

Plenty of Irish pubs.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:06 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Bill
Fit like min? Foos yer doos?

Take your kilt by all means, I think you'd get a good reception from the natives. I was there in March 2003 just before St Patrick's day and we saw several people wearing kilts. There also is a big parade in NY in April to celebrate Tartan Day.

Can't help you with the pubs though. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Bill

it's all irish over here mate....but don't worry whatever accent you have that is from the british isles they think your either irish or australian.......a bit cold for the kilt......nowhere in scotland is it this cold....I live 150 miles from NY and the warmest it will be for the next 7 days is -1 and the coldest -40.......freezing your nuts off woulf be the words I was thinking of
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

BillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura aboutBillnLinz has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for your help guys

Rete, is there any good bars you would recommend round about the area i will be in, it is my first time in NYC but the other three I'm going with have all been two or three times, want to surprise them with some local knowledge, any pointers would be appreciated.

Davec, are you fae the toon min??

psb182, I have been looking at the temperatures and cannot believe how cold it gets, i didn't think it would be that bad!! Bloody hell somewhere colder than Aberdeen!!

Bill :scared:
Old Jan 21st 2005, 11:34 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks

Bill
You're going all the way to New York, and want to go to a Scottish Pub?

I shake my head............
Old Jan 21st 2005, 11:42 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BillnLinz]
Davec, are you fae the toon min??
[QUOTE]
Not really but I've lived in Aberdeen for about 8 years throughout my life (including 80-83 and some memorable times at Pittodrie) and moved to Texas from Aberdeen a couple of years ago. Hoping to go back and visit later in the year.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Fit Like NEW YORK

Originally Posted by Manc

That's exactly what I thought LOL!

Anyway, I have the new 2005 edition of Time Out's 'Eating and Drinking' and this is what it says:

ST. ANDREWS PUB

120 W 44th St between Sixth Ave & Broadway (ie. close to Times Square). Tel 212-840-8413. Subway trains: B,D,F,V to 42nd St - Bryant Park. Open until 4am Tues-Sat, midnight on Sundays, 1am Mondays.

Average main course $21.

St. Andrew's claims to be the only Scottish pub in New York - and really, how many do we need? This one fills the slot admirably, serving 200 single-malt whiskeys and of course, haggis (made with lamb and oats rather than ground offal boiled in a sheep's stomach - more's the pity). There's also a platter of smoked Scottish salmon served with condiments and potato blini: back home brews include Tennant's Lager.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:09 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
That's exactly what I thought LOL!
There's a few oil rigs off Long Island Sound he can visit too no?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:18 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

Seems reasonable to me - maybe he got kicked out of all the pubs in Scotland.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Manc

Yes I have been kicked out a few pubs in Scotland, but its get your own back time, trying to get away from the mostly 'American' type theme pubs we have in Aberdeen!!

Thanks Englishmum for the tip, I will take the troops there when we are over and report back!

DaveC
Glad you got the glory years at the good old dung heap, the munich game will stay in my mind forever, going on sunday to see the Rangers game, hopefully a better result than last time!
We were in Texas a couple of years ago visiting some friends from Aberdeen who lived in Houston, big place, they took us to San Antonio, lovely place, and Austin. Had a great time and would love to go back to San An.

Bill
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc

Yes I have been kicked out a few pubs in Scotland, but its get your own back time, trying to get away from the mostly 'American' type theme pubs we have in Aberdeen!!
go on then, I'll give you that!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:41 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

This confused Irish person wants to know why people would wear a Scottish kilt on St Patricks Day.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:42 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by sibsie
This confused Irish person wants to know why people would wear a Scottish kilt on St Patricks Day.
St Patrick was born in Dunfermline wasn't he?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.