British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fishing off a Pier in Florida - what rod and reel do I need? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fishing-off-pier-florida-what-rod-reel-do-i-need-768237/)

The Horticulturalist Aug 13th 2012 9:39 pm

Fishing off a Pier in Florida - what rod and reel do I need?

We will be in the Fort Walton Beach area in mid September and would like to take our two boys ages 8 and 10 fishing off a pier, I think a charter boat is way out of our price range and I have read that in theory we should be able to catch something decent from one of the long piers.

So, they have some cheap rods that I bought a while back from Walmart, I couldn't tell you what kind of lines are on them though.
I would hate for them to not be able to reel something in because the line snapped or that they can't catch anything because I've not got the right gear for them.

If anyone has any other tips or tricks I'd love to hear them, I don't think the boys will care what they get as long as we catch something! :)

Rete Aug 13th 2012 10:31 pm

Re: Fishing off a Pier in Florida - what rod and reel do I need?

Hubby said a spin casting rod would do it. You can get a kid's fishing rod. Check in Walmart. Their sales people can point you in the right direction.

Bob Aug 13th 2012 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 10225903)
...Check in Walmart. Their sales people can point you in the right direction.

If they're anything like my local one, they won't :lol:

One thing to look into is a fishing license, chances are the kids won't need it, but they might need to be accompanied by an adult who does have a fishing/hunting license.

All depends on the state.

The Horticulturalist Aug 14th 2012 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10225989)

One thing to look into is a fishing license, chances are the kids won't need it, but they might need to be accompanied by an adult who does have a fishing/hunting license.

Thanks all, you pay to get on the pier and that includes a license. We may just rent rods there, but it depends how much that cost in all.

Bob Aug 14th 2012 2:39 am

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist (Post 10226051)
Thanks all, you pay to get on the pier and that includes a license. We may just rent rods there, but it depends how much that cost in all.

That's pretty cool then :)

Keith S Aug 14th 2012 12:55 pm

I'd be looking for something a bit stronger than a spinning rod. On our local pier the catches would regularly be too much for a small rig. Again, cheap enough in Walmart.

robin1234 Aug 14th 2012 3:26 pm

I wish someone had taken me fishing when I was a kid :confused::frown::unsure:

Rete Aug 14th 2012 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10225989)

Don't believe you need a license in any coastal city to fish in the ocean. You do certainly need a special license for a reservoir and a state license for a lake.