Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fishing anyone?

Fishing anyone?

Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Mark1976 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fishing anyone?

I miss carp fishing. I used to do a lot in the UK.

Does anyone carp fish over here? Specifically near NY?

If not, does anyone just fish generally? If so what type of fishing? What's it like?

Cheers!
Mark
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing anyone?

Originally Posted by Mark1976

If not, does anyone just fish generally? If so what type of fishing? What's it like?

Cheers!
Mark
I used to do a bit of fishing back in the U.K-- it also helped that part of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal backed onto a field behind my house.

Since I have been in the U.S. I have taken my hand to fly-fishing which takes some adjustment in the casting stroke, but once you get it down the opportunities and places where you can fish increase ten-fold, certainly here in Colorado, since many of the rivers and streams are do not permit live bait.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 11:55 pm
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

I am Ice fishing at the moment in MN. Never again its bloody cold:curse:
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to try ice fishing but I'm put off by all the gear people seem to need. My kids like the tents when we're in Cabela's though.

I'm in Maine so fishing at some point in the year is mandatory. I seriously thought about getting my husband a 2009 fishing licence for Christmas. He would have just loved that...

Got him a canoe instead, so he can fish in the middle of the lake next year as well as at the edges...
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

By the way, not sure about other states but in Maine you need a licence to fish. There is a booklet produced by the Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife that describes what kind of fish you may catch, what you must throw back, etc. Maine has land-locked salmon, brown trout, brook trout, bass.

There's a website here http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/index.htm with more info.

I assume there's something like this in most states?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

Originally Posted by kins
By the way, not sure about other states but in Maine you need a licence to fish. There is a booklet produced by the Dept of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife that describes what kind of fish you may catch, what you must throw back, etc. Maine has land-locked salmon, brown trout, brook trout, bass.

There's a website here http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/index.htm with more info.

I assume there's something like this in most states?
Pretty much. There's also a license fee you have to pay if you're a resident of a particular state, or out of state. To save your wallet though, I'd recommend a day-license (Or anything shorter than a year, if they have it) if you're wanting to fish out of state, as year licenses for out of state can be unreal.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:41 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
I am Ice fishing at the moment in MN. Never again its bloody cold:curse:
I thought they only let men out on the ice?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Leyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud ofLeyther has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SpaceProg
Pretty much. There's also a license fee you have to pay if you're a resident of a particular state, or out of state. To save your wallet though, I'd recommend a day-license (Or anything shorter than a year, if they have it) if you're wanting to fish out of state, as year licenses for out of state can be unreal.
I second that; most states offer single day, three day and five day fishing licenses, all of which are easy on wallet. If you are fishing in-state then a year license is going to be the most cost efficient depending on the frequency of your trips.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

SpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really niceSpaceProg is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leyther
I second that; most states offer single day, three day and five day fishing licenses, all of which are easy on wallet. If you are fishing in-state then a year license is going to be the most cost efficient depending on the frequency of your trips.
LOL, that reminds me of the time I bought a Tennessee fishing license for a year when living in Georgia (I live very close to the TN line and there's a few nice rivers and lakes up there). I knew it'd cost a lot, but I thought I'd have time to make it pay for itself, as things were stable and I didn't have too much on my plate.

Was I wrong... I got uber-busy for most of that year and only managed to go fishing once.

I pretty much made a $60 donation to the Tennessee Dept of Natural Resources...
Old Dec 29th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

made in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant futuremade in sheffield has a brilliant future

Cheers!
Mark
hi mark, NY is a great area for fishing, i like salt water fishing so google striped bass, the north east is very well known for its world class fisheries , fresh water also where upstate you have great salmon fishing,and also the lakes and ponds carry large mouth bass there great fun to catch ,good luck
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:09 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Carp aren't even considered a game fish in Missouri, not sure about NY. Most people here bowfish for them and then use them as fertilizer. About the only people I've seen that actually fish for them with rod and reel are old black men down by the river, sitting in lawn chairs and taking occasional sips from something wrapped in a paper bag.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Also, try catching bluegill on ultra-light rod and tackle. They're pretty good fighters on a light rod and line. On heavier tackle you'd just be yanking them out of the water and that's no fun...
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

Fishing licences are free and for life seniors in SC.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 12:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby's an avid fisherman and I'm a hook dabbler on occasion. We fish primarily at the New York State reservoirs and have a ten year license to park and fish at any of the State's ressies. Don't need a license to fish in the rivers but then you won't want to eat the catch either. We also enjoy fishing for trout at Seneca Lake in upstate western New York. We get a one year license at WalMarts.

Cheers!
Mark
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:03 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Most states require fishing or hunting licenses. Google is your friend. They don't cost very much and are pretty easy to get, either at a Walmart or a hunting store.

Note: In some states you can get a discount on the hunting license if you are blind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.