Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fishing anyone?

Fishing anyone?

Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:14 am
Payed up premium member

evoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond reputeevoal2003 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing anyone?

Originally Posted by Mark1976
Brilliant. A fellow carper I'll send you a message rather than bore everyone else with my carping questions.
Cheers everyone!
I used to fish for Carp in a big way. I made 3 trips to the mecca of carp fishing with Mark Law. I was with him when he made the 2 world records. My biggest was 44'14.

We went herehttp://http://www.mirrorpool.co.uk/mirrorlocation.htm

ALAN
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I have just noticed this thread.

I used to fish for carp and barbel a lot in the UK.

I have no experience of the East Coast but have fished a lot in Oregon.(I am now in Australia).

There are a lot of huge carp in the Columbia river in Oregon but rarely fished for.

Tony Davies-Patrick used to write some interesting articles on carping in the US in the 'Carpworld' magazine.

My advice would be to get out of the Boily, bivvy, buzzer, bolt rig mentality and try different methods...although some friends of mine use that successfully on the St. lawrence river in Canada.

You will catch as much on floatfished sweetcorn or maize as anything....remember many of these fish have never been fished for.

As for tackle you will be able to buy virtually anything you need in the US except, maybe, 12 or 13 ft. rods. If you feel you need these then take them with you....same with buzzers etc. Travel rod tubes are easy to buy and I have carried 12ft. rods all over the world several times with no mishaps.

Alternatively take up fishing for other more local species...there are plenty of them.

G
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

Mark1976 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by evoal2003
I used to fish for Carp in a big way. I made 3 trips to the mecca of carp fishing with Mark Law. I was with him when he made the 2 world records. My biggest was 44'14.

We went herehttp://http://www.mirrorpool.co.uk/mirrorlocation.htm

ALAN
Wow, that looks amazing. My uncle fishes a lot in France. There's some big fish to be had and some beautiful locations. You must have really enjoyed it.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
I have just noticed this thread.

I used to fish for carp and barbel a lot in the UK.

I have no experience of the East Coast but have fished a lot in Oregon.(I am now in Australia).

There are a lot of huge carp in the Columbia river in Oregon but rarely fished for.

Tony Davies-Patrick used to write some interesting articles on carping in the US in the 'Carpworld' magazine.

My advice would be to get out of the Boily, bivvy, buzzer, bolt rig mentality and try different methods...although some friends of mine use that successfully on the St. lawrence river in Canada.

You will catch as much on floatfished sweetcorn or maize as anything....remember many of these fish have never been fished for.

As for tackle you will be able to buy virtually anything you need in the US except, maybe, 12 or 13 ft. rods. If you feel you need these then take them with you....same with buzzers etc. Travel rod tubes are easy to buy and I have carried 12ft. rods all over the world several times with no mishaps.

Alternatively take up fishing for other more local species...there are plenty of them.

G
Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely weighing up all the options at the moment. I'd like to get my tackle over here but I live in NYC in a small apartment and don't have a car.
So I think I will definitely have to get out of the bivvy boilie mentality. At least for now!
Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Rete, I don't understand. Why would you catch something you don't plan on eating? Hunting and fishing are essential skills. Do you let them go? Catch and release and all that?

Sorry, OF, just looked at this thread again. Yes, we catch and release from any place other than the ressies. The Hudson River has too high a PCP and Mercury count and the NY Fisheries Department recommends that you not eat certain fish more than x number of days per month, etc.

However, if we catch at Seneca Lake we will eat the bass and trout. Also if you are living in a part of New York where you can take a fishing trip into the Long Island Sound you can eat those fish.

Mark

Here's a few websites:

http://www.nybass.com/

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/

http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/

BTW you are in a good location for fishing. Metro North will take you upstate a bit for fishing. The line runs along the Hudson River so most places where you get off is only a short walk to the river and/or the Croton ressie.

Also you can take the LIRR to many areas on the Island for fishing. A car is not required.

Last edited by Rete; Jan 6th 2009 at 1:57 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 1:59 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

With the DEP pass you can park anywhere and walk down to any point in the Croton Resevoir for fishing. You can also leave your boat at any point on the reservoir edge for future use. You can chain it to a tree and/or just leave it on the shore and take the oars with you.

Originally Posted by Graxley
I have been in the same situation for several years now with looking for places to fish for carp north of new york city. The reservoirs such as Croton and Kensico are vast with no obvious places to fish from the bank although there are massive carp in most of them and there are many more to explore further north. The easiest place that I have found is United Waters Lake Tappan Reservoir in Rockland County which can be fished if you join their watershed recreation program. I only caught singles here and most of the other people who fish for carp were Russians who take them home to eat. The methods that they use are very crude however bow fishing is not allowed. I did here rumours here of much larger fish but it was a shame that any decent sized carp would have been doomed.

There are also huge carp in the Hudson River but this is also a vast area and tidal so the water tends to be too brackish for carp in lower westchester. I found one possibility at Oscawana Island Boat Launch but never fished there.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:13 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I miss carp fishing. I used to do a lot in the UK.

Does anyone carp fish over here? Specifically near NY?

If not, does anyone just fish generally? If so what type of fishing? What's it like?

Cheers!
Mark
Have you seen this: http://www.carp-usa.info/ ? I just assumed you had Googled already.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:29 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Used to go sea fishing quite a bit from a buddy's boat here in CA and Mexico. Mostly barracuda, mackerel and rock cod which make decent fish & chips. Caught a few tuna and types of groupers too. Halibut are available but I never caught one.
We went shark fishing once at about 5AM, armed with a huge bucket of chum, a glock .45 handgun to shoot the 'monster' when we landed it and some beer. Caught **** all but the beer was good.
Did some snorkeling once for lobster too, off a reef at night, almost drowned as I got disoriented and swirled around the rocks in the pitch black, just about made it back to the boat and immediately threw up as I was so panicked and exhausted, that was smart
Old Jan 8th 2009, 1:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Sorry, OF, just looked at this thread again. Yes, we catch and release from any place other than the ressies. The Hudson River has too high a PCP and Mercury count and the NY Fisheries Department recommends that you not eat certain fish more than x number of days per month, etc.

However, if we catch at Seneca Lake we will eat the bass and trout. Also if you are living in a part of New York where you can take a fishing trip into the Long Island Sound you can eat those fish.

Mark

Here's a few websites:

http://www.nybass.com/

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/

http://www.sportfishermen.com/board/

BTW you are in a good location for fishing. Metro North will take you upstate a bit for fishing. The line runs along the Hudson River so most places where you get off is only a short walk to the river and/or the Croton ressie.

Also you can take the LIRR to many areas on the Island for fishing. A car is not required.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the sites.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Graxley will become famous soon enoughGraxley will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rete
With the DEP pass you can park anywhere and walk down to any point in the Croton Resevoir for fishing. You can also leave your boat at any point on the reservoir edge for future use. You can chain it to a tree and/or just leave it on the shore and take the oars with you.
I have a DEP pass but have never used it as it is impossible to cast out from almost the entire bank due to the overhanging trees. Carp fishing is not normally very sucessful from a boat.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

I miss carp fishing. I used to do a lot in the UK.

Does anyone carp fish over here? Specifically near NY?

If not, does anyone just fish generally? If so what type of fishing? What's it like?

Cheers!
Mark
Hi Mark,

My husband and I have just noticed your thread and he is an avid carp fisherman. We live in New Jersey. If you are interested then PM me and I will give you his email address and maybe you can get together sometime or just have a chat about it in general.
Old May 21st 2009, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

BakePhom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
Hi Mark,

My husband and I have just noticed your thread and he is an avid carp fisherman. We live in New Jersey. If you are interested then PM me and I will give you his email address and maybe you can get together sometime or just have a chat about it in general.
Hello!

I was actually reading another thread and fell onto this one, thankfully!

The Englishman and I are also avid fishers. We haven't had an luck with carp fishing, specifically because we do not know where to fish for them.

We are in the NYC area and can get anyone, we go where the fish are hehehe.

Any help with carp fishing location would be great!

Thank you!
Old May 21st 2009, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Wow, that looks amazing. My uncle fishes a lot in France. There's some big fish to be had and some beautiful locations. You must have really enjoyed it.
Hi Mark,

Have you found any good fishing locations yet?

The Englishman and I are in the hunt for good carp fishing. We have all the tackle and gear BUT haven't found any carp, sadly.
Old May 21st 2009, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BakePhom
Hello!

I was actually reading another thread and fell onto this one, thankfully!

The Englishman and I are also avid fishers. We haven't had an luck with carp fishing, specifically because we do not know where to fish for them.

We are in the NYC area and can get anyone, we go where the fish are hehehe.

Any help with carp fishing location would be great!

Thank you!
Hi,

My husband has found a few places to carp fish in New Jersey and would probably be grateful for some company - not sure about places in New York. Don't know if you are happy to come this far out? Let us know. Whereabouts in the uk are you from?
Old May 21st 2009, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
Hi,

My husband has found a few places to carp fish in New Jersey and would probably be grateful for some company - not sure about places in New York. Don't know if you are happy to come this far out? Let us know. Whereabouts in the uk are you from?
Actually so far we've only fished in NJ; recommendations from NJ fishing books and online blogs. With all our research we're still catching catfish and NO carp. Again, we are more than willing to go where the fish are . Do you and your husband night fish?

I just setup this account for the Englishman (he is originally for Tetney) and I'm not at all from the UK, actually from upstate NY.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.