Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fish And Chips!

Fish And Chips!

Old Oct 4th 2005, 12:24 am
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish And Chips!

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Ahhh i need fish and chips now, all the posts of instances with fairly decent ratings, but none in indy haha. Cant wait to see what i find in florida, i might be getting my hopes up a bit tho LOL. If anyone has any decent recipes for making fish and chips, and i mean making them like they are outta a chippy LOL, i would be open to having a go! Have been trying to explain mushy peas to my hubby and he keeps looking at me like im crazy, anyone got a decent description for him?
There is one in Indy - Rob n jays chippy in Indianapolis .
Old Oct 4th 2005, 12:40 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
I did read about that online, as of august it has permanently closed though, according to their website Wish i had known about it before august as i would have definitely tried though. Its back to the looking for a decent indy one, or else ima eventually have to find another brit to open one LOL. Thank you
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:07 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fish And Chips!

Originally Posted by Lottie
You star, what a tip!! Will definitely be taking a cool bag with me...oh I can't wait!!!

You might want to buy some pies as well......

http://www.dubpies.com/index.html
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:14 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Englishmum

Just be sure you have a big freezer. You need to buy quite a few to make it worthwhile
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:51 pm

James Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant futureJames Box has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Unfortunately, Rob n Jays closed down a couple of months ago

http://www.robnjayschippy.com/

On the positive side, my wife is learning how to cook them with a deep fat fryer
Old Oct 5th 2005, 8:55 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James Box

On the positive side, my wife is learning how to cook them with a deep fat fryer
I'm going to go that way too. Even if its just for real chips
Old Oct 5th 2005, 9:22 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James Box

haha if your wife manages to get it down, i would really like the recipe! do u know of anywhere in indy that has good english fare?
Old Oct 5th 2005, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Englishmum

You're a very dangerous lady to know. I'm actually heading to NYC with expat friends, of which some are from Oz and NZ. They will really appreciate this link.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

aboding is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbj1000
It seems that this is one of those rare occasions that I wish a particular restaurant was part of a national chain.

We went to the "Down Under Pub & Grub" here in Frisco, Texas and had quite acceptable (verging on good) Cod & Chips and Haddock & Chips served with pints of Youngs bitter (I think). From the style of the place, we took it for granted that it was part of a chain, but according to their website they're only in three locations around DFW.

Not of any use to you in Indy (unless you have them send you a very cold and congealed take-out!) but hopefully of interest to my fellow metroplex inhabitants.
I have been to the Londonder Pub in Addison Tx
Reasonably authentic food but great range of English beer on tap
Great place to see the latest UK football games
Also found this link that shows many Tea Rooms and Pubs in USA
http://www.britishinamerica.com/pub.html
Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Hi, I am new to the forum, so please forgive any faux pas. I am from London and i am currently living in indy with my hubby . My one favourite food, which i have been craving for months and months is decent fish and chips. Not the awful stuff i seem to come across. Does anyone know anyone of anywhere in indy or even nationally, that does a proper british fish n chips? Thank you in advance!!

do you have a 99 resturant anywhere near you........thats the best fish and chips I have had in the US
Old Oct 17th 2005, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

gloria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dragonfly
There is a new British fish & chip shop opened up in Easton PA which is quite a way from Indy this particular shop is owned by Brits, we also have a local Friendly's that serves a fairly decent fish & chips even my husband is impressed and he is a Cornish man from very near the sea. Hope this helps

We found the new fish and chips shop in Easton on Saturday, its called Southampton Fish and Chips on N 4th street. Its owned by a bloke from London with his partner and they are soon opening another one in Bethlehem, PA.

They do cod, haddock and other fish as well as pastys (or should that be pasties?) The chips were pretty good and the fish was the best we have had in the US so far.

You can find details at www.MenuLizard.com