Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fish And Chips!

Fish And Chips!

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:29 pm
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish And Chips!

Im in indianapolis lol. All the places are sounding so good! i am very willing to be taking a drive or making a trip around going to a fish and chippie if its very highly rated by you guys. My american husband asked me today why i couldnt just make it from home as im a pretty good cook, i just sighed and said u really can't ever get that level of greasiness in ur home LOL.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ladygwennie
Im in indianapolis lol. All the places are sounding so good! i am very willing to be taking a drive or making a trip around going to a fish and chippie if its very highly rated by you guys. My american husband asked me today why i couldnt just make it from home as im a pretty good cook, i just sighed and said u really can't ever get that level of greasiness in ur home LOL.

I'm actually heading to NYC next weekend for a girlie w/e. I've asked to go to 'a salt and battery'

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/pages/details/2055.htm

I'll let you know if we get there and if it is any good, should you decide to head into the big apple.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 12:58 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fish And Chips!

Originally Posted by Lottie
I'm actually heading to NYC next weekend for a girlie w/e. I've asked to go to 'a salt and battery'

I'll let you know if we get there and if it is any good, should you decide to head into the big apple.
It's not that cheap there but it is authentic. Their curry sauce is excellent..

You can see their menu here:

http://www.asaltandbattery.com

Right next door is Tea and Sympathy:

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com

and a short walk away is Myer's of Keswick...so if you want any pork pies, British bangers etc. then take a cool bag and some frozen ice-packs with you:

http://www.myersofkeswick.com

Have a great time in NYC!
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 1:23 am
Renegade who has it made

ladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond reputeladygwennie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lottie

Hi, actually I go to NY pretty often, as my hubby is a native NYer and all his family is on Long Island. Do please let me know how good it is and if its worth the prices, what part of NYC is it in? Have a great time and enjoy yourself!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much! mmm cod, battered artery clogging, cod! That or a good piece of haddock, I need now! hahaha There must be somewhere in the states, that does it right. I had heard that in florida's epcot centre, in the supposedly english pub they do english fish n chips, has anyone tested this? I am going later this month and i am going to try it for lunch, so i will update on what i think of that!
The Rose & Crown pub in the UK pavillion at EPCOT does serve Fish and Chips, I have had them and they were pretty good... they also have a Harry Ramsden's take out right next to the pub... I never tried those but my parents did and thought they were really nice... However don't expect any mushy peas.

Mmmmm yummy proper salty mushy peas... anyone know where you can find them?

Ash
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:16 am
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
The Rose & Crown pub in the UK pavillion at EPCOT does serve Fish and Chips, I have had them and they were pretty good... they also have a Harry Ramsden's take out right next to the pub... I never tried those but my parents did and thought they were really nice... However don't expect any mushy peas.

Ash

Yea rose and crown i knew served em, i wasnt sure how good tho, i didnt know there was harry ramsden's cos now that would be good, now its a battle of which to have LOL, anyone got any suggestions? Or am i gonna be a pig have to have both lol *dreads the expanding waist line*
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 4:23 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Ash
Our local Kroger supermarket stocks Batchelor's "Chip Shop Mushy Peas" at around $1.50 per can. I don't know if there are Kroger stores in your area, but if there are you can probably request that they carry any of the wide range of British expat fare that ours has - Hob Knobs, Maltesers, Mars Bars, Flake, PG Tips, Lemon Curd (for some reason), Tilda Basmati Rice, Baked Beans... the list is endless
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:06 pm
Tony M1

Tony Mullaney has a spectacular aura aboutTony Mullaney has a spectacular aura aboutTony Mullaney has a spectacular aura about

Hi, I am new to the forum, so please forgive any faux pas. I am from London and i am currently living in indy with my hubby . My one favourite food, which i have been craving for months and months is decent fish and chips. Not the awful stuff i seem to come across. Does anyone know anyone of anywhere in indy or even nationally, that does a proper british fish n chips? Thank you in advance!!
Welcome new Bod !

I live in Georgia and my wife organises a pub night once a month for a group of brits and partners we meet in an Irish bar in Roswell called the harp they have a website it is by far the best fish and chips we have had and they have curry sauce, I have been told of a place in NY that has a black Cab as well, he is supposed to be a proper chippy.

I am no expert of any thing really but I like food a lot and fish and chips was a staple in the North of england and over here the best places seem to be Irish, Good luck with it all maybe we will talk soon.

[email protected]

Old Oct 3rd 2005, 5:17 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

You mean Long John Silver's doesn't qualify as good fish and chips? I mean- it's on their menu...'fish and chips', right above the 'fish and more' and below the 'fish and chicken'.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Our local Kroger supermarket stocks Batchelor's "Chip Shop Mushy Peas" at around $1.50 per can. I don't know if there are Kroger stores in your area, but if there are you can probably request that they carry any of the wide range of British expat fare that ours has - Hob Knobs, Maltesers, Mars Bars, Flake, PG Tips, Lemon Curd (for some reason), Tilda Basmati Rice, Baked Beans... the list is endless
I tried the Batchelor's (they sell them at my local supermarket) I didn't think they were that good... Sorry I should have asked if anyone knows where you can buy the dried peas that you soak over night and cook 'just like granny used to make'.

Ash
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 7:28 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I tried the Batchelor's (they sell them at my local supermarket) I didn't think they were that good... Sorry I should have asked if anyone knows where you can buy the dried peas that you soak over night and cook 'just like granny used to make'.

Ash
Tried looking in the dried bean aisle?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

gloria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dragonfly
There is a new British fish & chip shop opened up in Easton PA which is quite a way from Indy this particular shop is owned by Brits, we also have a local Friendly's that serves a fairly decent fish & chips even my husband is impressed and he is a Cornish man from very near the sea. Hope this helps

I also would love to know the address of this new chip shop. We only live about an hours drive away from there. Have you managed to try it out yet? Its making me dribble just thinking about it.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Englishmum
It's not that cheap there but it is authentic. Their curry sauce is excellent..

You can see their menu here:

http://www.asaltandbattery.com

Right next door is Tea and Sympathy:

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com

and a short walk away is Myer's of Keswick...so if you want any pork pies, British bangers etc. then take a cool bag and some frozen ice-packs with you:

You star, what a tip!! Will definitely be taking a cool bag with me...oh I can't wait!!!

http://www.myersofkeswick.com

Have a great time in NYC!
You star, what a tip!! Will definitely be taking a cool bag with me...oh I can't wait!!!
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 10:00 pm
Renegade who has it made

Originally Posted by Tony Mullaney
Welcome new Bod !

I live in Georgia and my wife organises a pub night once a month for a group of brits and partners we meet in an Irish bar in Roswell called the harp they have a website it is by far the best fish and chips we have had and they have curry sauce, I have been told of a place in NY that has a black Cab as well, he is supposed to be a proper chippy.

I am no expert of any thing really but I like food a lot and fish and chips was a staple in the North of england and over here the best places seem to be Irish, Good luck with it all maybe we will talk soon.

[email protected]

Ahhh i need fish and chips now, all the posts of instances with fairly decent ratings, but none in indy haha. Cant wait to see what i find in florida, i might be getting my hopes up a bit tho LOL. If anyone has any decent recipes for making fish and chips, and i mean making them like they are outta a chippy LOL, i would be open to having a go! Have been trying to explain mushy peas to my hubby and he keeps looking at me like im crazy, anyone got a decent description for him?
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi, actually I go to NY pretty often, as my hubby is a native NYer and all his family is on Long Island. Do please let me know how good it is and if its worth the prices, what part of NYC is it in? Have a great time and enjoy yourself!!!
Will do, they all look to be in Greenwich village. Guess I'll be coming back from NYC the size of a house (again )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.