British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fish And Chip Shop (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fish-chip-shop-288329/)

TheWilliamsons Mar 6th 2005 10:25 pm

Fish And Chip Shop

Does anyone have any ideas or where do I start in opening a Fish and Chip shop in Florida. I.E where to get the fryers or even the Chipping machine (would hate to peel all those pots). Any if you know of any regulations

Thanks Williamsons :eek:

AdobePinon Mar 6th 2005 10:33 pm

Re: Fish And Chip Shop

Wow, that's a big one. Can't help you much, but I suggest having the capacity to serve in multiple grease levels. After being gone for so long, my belly no longer has the capacity to handle the full UK grease-to-chips ratio. I think that most Americans are the same way. But you do want to retain the original grease level for all the Brits visiting Florida.

Sarah Mar 6th 2005 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by TheWilliamsons
Does anyone have any ideas or where do I start in opening a Fish and Chip shop in Florida. I.E where to get the fryers or even the Chipping machine (would hate to peel all those pots). Any if you know of any regulations

Have a look at this website http://www.chipshopnyc.com/
A British guy runs two chip shops in Brooklyn, I've never been in them but they were featured on the Food Network recently and they looked so ridiculously mega-British in the style of the seating and fryers etc right down to the salt and vinegar bottles. Maybe you could contact them and ask where they bought all their equipment from?
The USA is the pioneer of everything fried so I'm sure you can get industrial fish and chip fryers quite easily.
Hope this helps
Sarah.

TouristTrap Mar 6th 2005 10:40 pm

My knowledge on the subject is limited to some S.Africans who started a pie shop here a few years ago. They got their equipment via some auctions or other, as it was terribly expensive otherwise.

Hope you're planning on opening on my side of the state ::)

MightBe Mar 6th 2005 10:56 pm

I know where there is a running chippie for sale...west coast

NC Penguin Mar 7th 2005 12:57 am

MightBe is quite right. There is a chippy in FL that is for sale. The owner is retiring I think, so all the equipment is situ.

NC Penguin

Lion in Winter Mar 7th 2005 1:47 am

Originally Posted by MightBe
I know where there is a running chippie for sale...west coast

Rev. really. :D

Yorkieabroad Mar 7th 2005 2:20 am

If you check out your local directories you chould come across some restaurant supply companies that can point you in the right direction. Ditto googling something like "restaurant equipment". I also found a company a few months ago that ran courses for potential chippy operators - they are based in the UK, but may be a useful contact anyway. Unfortunately my PC died a while ago and I can't remember the link, but you should be able to find them quite easily with a search.

On the regulations side, best to start at your local Dept of Health and Human Services - ie hte guys that issue the licenses. Thats what they're called in Texas anyway, not sure about Florida. Found them incredibly helpful on all sorts of questions.

Good luck - let us know when you open - closest we get to real fish n chips is Long John Silvers...ie not very close at all!!!

TheWilliamsons Mar 7th 2005 8:23 pm

Thank you all so much gives me loads of reading to look in to would love to find the man whos retiring that would be call. Im moving to Englewood so fingers crossed its close to me LOL

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
If you check out your local directories you chould come across some restaurant supply companies that can point you in the right direction. Ditto googling something like "restaurant equipment". I also found a company a few months ago that ran courses for potential chippy operators - they are based in the UK, but may be a useful contact anyway. Unfortunately my PC died a while ago and I can't remember the link, but you should be able to find them quite easily with a search.

On the regulations side, best to start at your local Dept of Health and Human Services - ie hte guys that issue the licenses. Thats what they're called in Texas anyway, not sure about Florida. Found them incredibly helpful on all sorts of questions.

Good luck - let us know when you open - closest we get to real fish n chips is Long John Silvers...ie not very close at all!!!

MightBe Mar 7th 2005 8:26 pm

Thank you all so much gives me loads of reading to look in to would love to find the man whos retiring that would be call. Im moving to Englewood so fingers crossed its close to me LOL

Nope! its nowhere near you.
http://bizbuysell.com/cgi-bin/addeta...ab=eb&q=148483

NC Penguin Mar 7th 2005 8:29 pm

What you might consider doing is buying a Captain D's franchise. This is a seafood chain that offers fish and chips, amongst other things. They're not bad.

See-
http://www.captainds.com/

Said to be better than Long John Silver's (according to my USC spouse at least).

NC Penguin

Perfumdiva1 Mar 7th 2005 9:18 pm

A friend of mine looked into opening a chip ship here in Houston (West) full of expats

Only to discover, the rental space, no equipment of anything included, was $5000 per month

Alot of chips

Although, I do believe I would have been her best customer and paid half of the rent LOL

Scarey indeed, but a good fish and chip shop, then my God, people would travel miles, I know for sure me and my pals would....

Bad English I know

PD
:)

franc111s Mar 8th 2005 12:30 pm

If you find a supplier, let me know. I want to build one too, here in North Atlanta.

whistlestop01 Mar 8th 2005 4:51 pm

How about moving to MA? :D

NC Penguin Mar 8th 2005 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by franc111s
If you find a supplier, let me know. I want to build one too, here in North Atlanta.

What's to stop you doing the search yourself? :rolleyes:

NC Penguin