Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:21 am
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I took Bart to SFO yesterday.
Glad you avoided the latest trouble on BART:

Two pepper-sprayed in teen robbery on BART – The Mercury News
Old Aug 7th 2017, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
Try finding a parking space at 12:55pm. My biggest gripe about BART is the parking, and the Pleasanton BART parking lot is huge, also 12:55 is not exactly the busy time of day. I think your example a not the typical BART experience.
Clearly we need more BART crime to reduce the number of people using the system.

Alternatively... there are more ways than driving to get to a BART station, for example being driven there - as Steerpike was - or taking public transit/uber etc. Or, as in my case, walking...
Old Aug 7th 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Clearly we need more BART crime to reduce the number of people using the system.

Alternatively... there are more ways than driving to get to a BART station, for example being driven there - as Steerpike was - or taking public transit/uber etc. Or, as in my case, walking...
Absolutely correct, and that's why I'm getting disillusioned with the Bay Area.
Life is becoming more and more of a hassle, I find myself restricted to a
10 mile radius because of traffic, parking and general over crowding. BART is just a symptom of the overall problem. I guess the reason I feel this way, having lived in the Bat Area since 1970, the quality of life here has diminished on an exponential scale.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 8:59 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely correct, and that's why I'm getting disillusioned with the Bay Area.
Life is becoming more and more of a hassle
Same here. Plus the cost of living (driven by but not limited to housing costs). On a limited retirement income I could enjoy a materially higher standard of living if (when) I move away.

Crime rates are also rising. Not just on BART. I live in a nice neighborhood but almost every day someone is subject to petty crimes like mail theft, car windows smashed and the like. Such events were rare when I first moved here 15 years ago.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

This Road is now a four lane busy road with houses on either side.
Taken circa mid 1990s

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .-old-doughety-road006.jpg
Old Aug 7th 2017, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

This Road is now a four lane busy road with houses on either side.
Taken circa mid 1990s

Attachment 128254
I very much doubt that any major metropolitan area in either the US or UK is much different in having sprawled over the last quarter of a century.

Originally Posted by malch
Crime rates are also rising. Not just on BART. I live in a nice neighborhood but almost every day someone is subject to petty crimes like mail theft, car windows smashed and the like. Such events were rare when I first moved here 15 years ago.
That's certainly true of where I live too.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

I very much doubt that any major metropolitan area in either the US or UK is much different in having sprawled over the last quarter of a century.

Of course you are right, and it's been going on for generations. When I talk about this I'm reminded of my Father saying the same thing about West London. "All this use to be fields and farms"
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:11 pm
in Northern California

I think the photo is from somewhere near San Ramon.

The population there has grown from about 4,000 in 1970 to almost 80,000 today. And it's a similar story in neighboring Dublin and Pleasanton too.

I consider that more than the usual "sprawl".

Last edited by malch; Aug 7th 2017 at 10:14 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The population there has grown from about 4,000 in 1970 to almost 80,000 today. And it's a similar story in neighboring Dublin and Pleasanton too.

It's not very meaningful to take places that were on the edge of the conurbation and look at their increase in population. If you look at the Bay Area as a whole, it's grown from 4.6m in 1970 to 7.68m today.

Bay Area Census -- County Population, 1860-2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_Bay_Area

It would be interesting to know equivalent figures for the population of London and its surroundings.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wasn't aware of those figures, but it doesn't surprise me, and it's getting worse. Now I'm really getting depressed.
Oddly enough my wife said a few minutes ago, she we go to San Francisco this week, I said how are we going to get there? She thought we might go just after 9:00am and wait for a 10:00am spot. Really is that what we have to do just to catch a freaking train.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oddly enough my wife said a few minutes ago, she we go to San Francisco this week, I said how are we going to get there? She thought we might go just after 9:00am and wait for a 10:00am spot. Really is that what we have to do just to catch a freaking train.
No, you can uber/lyft it to BART...
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:50 pm
in Northern California

It would be interesting to know equivalent figures for the population of London and its surroundings.
I'm guessing you'd see comparable population growth in Milton Keynes.

But I don't believe there's been anything like that kind of growth in the towns that I lived in around Surrey, Bucks and Berks.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:55 pm
in Northern California

To be honest, we rarely make the trip anymore. We have a couple of friends who make the daily commute into the city and they do NOT enjoy it one little bit. I think both are looking for new jobs closer to home.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 10:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm guessing you'd see comparable population growth in Milton Keynes.

But I don't believe there's been anything like that kind of growth in the towns that I lived in around Surrey, Bucks and Berks.
What about the overall population growth of, say, a forty mile radius of London compared to the population growth of the Bay Area?
Old Aug 7th 2017, 11:12 pm
in Northern California

What about the overall population growth of, say, a forty mile radius of London compared to the population growth of the Bay Area?
I don't think it's Bay Area large. No published numbers for a 40 mile radius but there are some for "Greater London". e.g.:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_London

Of course, the population did fall in around the 1980's. But 1970-current is something like 7.5 to 8.5m, well short of Bay Area growth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.