Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Old Jul 15th 2017, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First week in US, Bay Area--keep calm , keep going .

Originally Posted by tom169
In my car I have a small blind spot mirror.

It's very convenient and missed when I drive my Mrs' car.

It shocked me to know how big the blind spot is in my Mrs' small versa. If you don't check over your shoulder you're in for a bumpy ride.
If you follow the SAE's approach on setting up your mirrors detailed here you don't actually need an additional blind spot mirror

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver

Last edited by rbackhouse; Jul 15th 2017 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the OP has encountered the joys of 'Right Turn On Red' yet (and the grief you get if you don't 'go' when you can).

Regarding mini-roundabouts ... they weren't around much when I lived there, so I never really got the hang of them. My brother (who still lives there) insists the rules are the same for mini roundabouts ... give way to traffic in the circle ... but in reality, the circle is so small, what seems to happen is, you are giving way to traffic approaching the circle also - so if you are on a quiet road that is joined to a busy road by a mini roundabout, you seem to get stuck for ages waiting for a gap, which is in theory what the mini roundabout is meant to prevent.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 5:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
I would have said how do people not know to check their blind spot changing lanes etc (via a glance over their shoulder before maneuver)? However after taking the drivers test in Florida, I realize its a stupid thing to ask
Sorry but I don't consider that glancing over my shoulder necessary to check my blindspot. Glancing over my shoulder would require me to turn my upper body and head to see behind me. I glance to the left and right towards my shoulder but the sight line is limited whereas to turn my upper body and head and visually look behind me to see all of the lane takes too much attention away from watching what is happening in front of me.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rete
Sorry but I don't consider that glancing over my shoulder necessary to check my blindspot. Glancing over my shoulder would require me to turn my upper body and head to see behind me. I glance to the left and right towards my shoulder but the sight line is limited whereas to turn my upper body and head and visually look behind me to see all of the lane takes too much attention away from watching what is happening in front of me.

I don't think anyone is advocating turning your whole body to look out the back window. Turning my head left to right over one shoulder or the other means I'm looking out of my rear-seat windows. That, combined with judicious use of mirrors, means you should see 99% of any vehicles in your blind spot.
Looking out of your front side windows is not enough (unless it's a certain type of vehicle, see below). You'd fail a test in the UK for not checking in this way.

I suppose there's cases where your car might have large blind spots*, or someone is changing lanes in such a way that it makes them invisible, but that's what the mirrors are there for.

*I've driven roadsters that with the canvas roof up have zero visibility in huge blind spots - you just have to be extra careful checking your mirrors. Same with vans.

[EDIT]
Because I'm anal about these things, I just started a video selfie, looked over my shoulder the way I would if I were changing lanes, and back again. The video was a second long. That's enough time to check and, if you feel like you're going to need longer and there's traffic up ahead, modulate your speed accordingly after reviewing potential hazards up ahead (i.e. is anyone else signalling that they might be making a move soon?)

I suppose if you have a medical condition (reduced mobility in your neck) then that causes a problem, but otherwise you should always be checking.

Last edited by MorsePacific; Jul 15th 2017 at 8:05 pm. Reason: Extra stuff
Old Jul 15th 2017, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

MorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud ofMorsePacific has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I wonder if the OP has encountered the joys of 'Right Turn On Red' yet (and the grief you get if you don't 'go' when you can).

Regarding mini-roundabouts ... they weren't around much when I lived there, so I never really got the hang of them. My brother (who still lives there) insists the rules are the same for mini roundabouts ... give way to traffic in the circle ... but in reality, the circle is so small, what seems to happen is, you are giving way to traffic approaching the circle also - so if you are on a quiet road that is joined to a busy road by a mini roundabout, you seem to get stuck for ages waiting for a gap, which is in theory what the mini roundabout is meant to prevent.
Oh I LOVE Right On Red!! I wish we had Left On Red in the UK, it helps the traffic flow no end under certain circumstances.
A funny moment last year in Massachusetts - somebody was sat at a Right on Red signal, however he was going straight over, so the light for him was - obviously - red! The woman behind him in the SUV however, well, she wanted to go right.

Despite the obviousness of the fact that the guy in front was going straight over, she was screaming at him. We were in the next lane just looking at her with bemusement. She was apoplectic with rage, yelling and ranting and beeping the horn. What did she expect the guy to do?
Old Jul 15th 2017, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MorsePacific
Oh I LOVE Right On Red!! I wish we had Left On Red in the UK, it helps the traffic flow no end under certain circumstances.
Not so good for pedestrians, particularly in urban areas. The last two words of "right on red after stop" are so frequently ignored.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 11:17 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
When I took my test months ago here in PA, my examiner said I needed to be more thorough about checking my blindspots, so some places are more insistent upon it. Also at our test center you have to parallel park successfully before heading out onto the public road.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MorsePacific

I don't think anyone is advocating turning your whole body to look out the back window. Turning my head left to right over one shoulder or the other means I'm looking out of my rear-seat windows. That, combined with judicious use of mirrors, means you should see 99% of any vehicles in your blind spot.
Looking out of your front side windows is not enough (unless it's a certain type of vehicle, see below). You'd fail a test in the UK for not checking in this way.

I suppose there's cases where your car might have large blind spots*, or someone is changing lanes in such a way that it makes them invisible, but that's what the mirrors are there for.

*I've driven roadsters that with the canvas roof up have zero visibility in huge blind spots - you just have to be extra careful checking your mirrors. Same with vans.

[EDIT]
Because I'm anal about these things, I just started a video selfie, looked over my shoulder the way I would if I were changing lanes, and back again. The video was a second long. That's enough time to check and, if you feel like you're going to need longer and there's traffic up ahead, modulate your speed accordingly after reviewing potential hazards up ahead (i.e. is anyone else signalling that they might be making a move soon?)
Exactly this

I would rather check my blind spot even with a stiff neck than risk ploughing into somebody! Especially bikers, they can often be difficult to spot without a glance Oh well what do I know....20 years driving, ZERO accidents, multiple countries driven in, multiple vehicles (vans, trucks, huge ass loaded trailers attached) and 3 different tests taken!
Old Jul 16th 2017, 12:40 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
When I took my test months ago here in PA, my examiner said I needed to be more thorough about checking my blindspots, so some places are more insistent upon it. Also at our test center you have to parallel park successfully before heading out onto the public road.
Ditto for me & the Husband in CT (Connecticut) 5 years ago!

Parallel parking was part of our road test, and I was told my over-the-shoulder glance before changing lanes on the highway was "almost" too short, though I wasn't marked down for it. This was on a 55 MPH dual carriageway.

In fact, I didn't find the road test so laughably "easy" as many here say they do.... It may not be as rigourous as the UK driving test, but it wasn't a joke either. I suppose it varies from state to state--like everything else here.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 4:51 pm
in Northern California

malch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond reputemalch has a reputation beyond repute

When taking your driving test in CA, it really is necessary to check the blind spots by looking over your shoulder, that is assuming you want to pass.

As for right-on-red in Boston... one time I landed at Logan and the Hertz shuttle bus driver taking us from the terminal to the rental lot announced...

"Welcome to Boston where we have right-on-red. And left-on-red..."

Those who have driven in Boston will know he wasn't joking :-)
Old Jul 16th 2017, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

jellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond reputejellybean_17 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Ditto for me & the Husband in CT (Connecticut) 5 years ago!

Parallel parking was part of our road test, and I was told my over-the-shoulder glance before changing lanes on the highway was "almost" too short, though I wasn't marked down for it. This was on a 55 MPH dual carriageway.

In fact, I didn't find the road test so laughably "easy" as many here say they do.... It may not be as rigourous as the UK driving test, but it wasn't a joke either. I suppose it varies from state to state--like everything else here.
It's good to hear that some states provide a more rigorous test
The test I took in Florida took 10 minutes and consisted of - reverse out of parking spot, drive around the parking lot to the exit, drive across 2 lane barely used road into another parking lot. Drive to the end of the row of parked cars, make a left, drive into a parking spot also marked with cones. Reverse from said spot, proceed out of parking lot, onto the 2 lane road for 10 seconds, turn right, drive 10 seconds, turn right (all on 2 lane barely used roads - I saw one other car). Proceed on empty 2 lane road to a speed of 20mph and perform emergency stop. Reverse until examiner said stop, 3 point turn, drive back to test center all of 1 minute max away at no more than 20 mph Test done! Its the one driving test I don't feel any sense of achievement passing, because lets face it if you fail that 'test' you should stick to public transport
Old Jul 16th 2017, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
If you follow the SAE's approach on setting up your mirrors detailed here you don't actually need an additional blind spot mirror

How To: Adjust Your Mirrors to Avoid Blind Spots - Feature - Car and Driver
Despite the subtitle of that article, "Less obvious than it sounds", that seems to me to be a completely obvious way to (attempt to) adjust one's mirrors. Doesn't everyone do it that way?

The problem is that, on some vehicles, it still doesn't quite eliminate the blind spots.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute

S. Susan how are you dealing with the heat? another scorcher in the East Bay today.
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
oh no , i cant do parallel parking ! i hate it !
Old Jul 17th 2017, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

S.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond reputeS.Susan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
S. Susan how are you dealing with the heat? another scorcher in the East Bay today.
thanks for asking...i literally was joking with my children today that it is far too hot and it is time to go back to England....serioulsy how long it will be like this ?
i miss the rain !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.