Reload this Page >

First USA driver's licence in TX

First USA driver's licence in TX

Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Mikejmacd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First USA driver's licence in TX

Hi All,

I have just moved to TX from Scotland and I am in the process of sorting everything out (as you can imagine)

The next thing on my list is changing my full UK licence to US. I called the DPS and the woman was really unhelpful and told me I need to come in and discuss. I also emailed and got a generic response back.

I am looking online but does anybody have any personal experiences with changing their licence to a TX licence ? Does it involve sitting tests ?

Thanks,

Mike
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:46 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First USA driver's licence in TX

http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/limitedTerm.htm

You will have to take the theory and written tests. The link above has details. Note all the documentation you will have to take along with you.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 10:48 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You will be required to sit the relevant tests of the state in which you become a resident, you cannot just exchange your British license for a Texan one.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

LJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the roughLJSassy is a jewel in the rough

Hi, Welcome to Texas!!!

We moved here from Scotland nearly 6 months ago - feels longer.

As already stated, you will need to sit a test, and should be within 90 days of arriving (although I know many people who have not bothered to do so for a lot longer).

It involves a multiple choice test of 30 questions (if I remember right) and you need to get 70% to pass. Once you pass this part you then can arrange to do your driving test.

You can do practice multiple choice questions on-line (google search).

We didn't book our appointment ourselves (done by relocation company) but we just needed to turn up with required documents on the arranged day and & time. Was all pretty straight forward. Just make sure you take all documents they want as they will not proceed any further on the day if you forget something.

Good luck x

Last edited by LJSassy; Jan 7th 2014 at 11:02 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Mikejmacd is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent ! Thanks everyone !
Old Jan 8th 2014, 1:12 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

+1 on advice above, you will have to sit the tests - they are nothing to stress about though. Far easier than in the UK.

Pay particular attention on the theory to fines and penalties especially pertaining to different ages. This seems to be something that comes up frequently. I did one nights worth of reading up on the theory and had no problems passing but was glad I'd spent a little time reading up on the fines etc.

Good luck!