Reload this Page >

First time UK Passport Application- No news

First time UK Passport Application- No news

Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

taralp is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy First time UK Passport Application- No news

Hi,
My first time UK passport application (my mother was born in the UK) was recevied by the DC passport office on the 31st of August. I put a travel date of August 25th (unrealistic, I realize). After 3 weeks from the date of receipt, I sent fed-exed a letter to them requesting them to expedite it and attached my offer letter from London School of Economics. My registration starts 22nd September and I need to make it in time for my Masters programme, which technically starts October 1st (this was all stated on the offer letter). It's now almost been 5 weeks since they received my application (will be on Friday) but I have not heard anything. Given that I probably need an interview shouldn't I expect to hear something from the embassy? If I call the careline can they do anything about it? I live in Montreal, so if I contact the consulate in Ottawa will that help? I am desperate, I cannot mess up getting to school in time because of this!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:17 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First time UK Passport Application- No news

did you pay by credit card - and if you did - have the fees been taken?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 5:57 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taralp View Post
My first time UK passport application...
First time UK passports often take up to 10 weeks. The stated time of 4 weeks for processing is after payment has been taken.

Given that I probably need an interview...
Why? If you're eligible for a passport, you're eligible - no interview.

If I call the careline can they do anything about it?
No.

... if I contact the consulate in Ottawa will that help?
No.

I am desperate, I cannot mess up getting to school in time because of this!!
With respect, you should have applied many months ago. Why did you leave it so late?
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
My first time UK passport application (my mother was born in the UK) was recevied by the DC passport office on the 31st of August. I put a travel date of August 25th (unrealistic, I realize). After 3 weeks from the date of receipt, I sent fed-exed a letter to them requesting them to expedite it and attached my offer letter from London School of Economics. My registration starts 22nd September and I need to make it in time for my Masters programme, which technically starts October 1st (this was all stated on the offer letter). It's now almost been 5 weeks since they received my application (will be on Friday) but I have not heard anything. Given that I probably need an interview shouldn't I expect to hear something from the embassy? If I call the careline can they do anything about it? I live in Montreal, so if I contact the consulate in Ottawa will that help? I am desperate, I cannot mess up getting to school in time because of this!!
I suggest you contact Dean...maybe he will be able to help you. You may be able to get an emergency PP...although I'm not sure as you've not had a UK PP before. Read through Dean's posts (there's a link to them in the link I've given you)...I think there's instructions on how to obtain one.

Edit: You can't use the BE Private Messaging system until you've made at least 3 posts...but you could contact Dean by email.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 1st 2010 at 6:08 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm View Post
Why? If you're eligible for a passport, you're eligible - no interview.
I thought there was a requirement for first time adult applicants to attend an interview, I don't know if it's every applicant though.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts View Post
I thought there was a requirement for first time adult applicants to attend an interview, I don't know if it's every applicant though.
There is.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...tion/DG_174153

Overseas passports usually take about 4 weeks, this is for a renewal so you'd expect to have confirmation or a reply by now. The passport office have to check your identity, this would take a while for people living in the UK, I imagine longer for those overseas. Why do you need a British Passport? Do you have a Canadian one? Are you getting reduced fees for being a UK Citizen or something? I'd at least try the consulate.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbeale View Post
There is.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...tion/DG_174153

Overseas passports usually take about 4 weeks, this is for a renewal so you'd expect to have confirmation or a reply by now. The passport office have to check your identity, this would take a while for people living in the UK, I imagine longer for those overseas. Why do you need a British Passport? Do you have a Canadian one? Are you getting reduced fees for being a UK Citizen or something? I'd at least try the consulate.
I'm thinking the OP would need a student study visa if she entered the UK without a UK PP. As the OP has not been a resident of the UK for the last 3 years she will be paying international student fees.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I'm thinking the OP would need a student study visa if she entered the UK without a UK PP. As the OP has not been a resident of the UK for the last 3 years she will be paying international student fees.
Yeah, I currently have an Indian passport. I will not get reduced fees by any means but I figured why go there on a visa when I can get a passport. When I applied, the website said new passports take 4-6 weeks. The website now says 6-8 weeks. I would at least expect to have heard from them by now. No confirmation, no interview request...nothing.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah, I currently have an Indian passport. I will not get reduced fees by any means but I figured why go there on a visa when I can get a passport. When I applied, the website said new passports take 4-6 weeks. The website now says 6-8 weeks. I would at least expect to have heard from them by now. No confirmation, no interview request...nothing.
Contact Dean...I gave you a link in my post # 4.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

chrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to allchrisbeale is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Well having a passport of some sort means the application for a student visa is possible, time for a non UK passport + student visa would be prohibitively long. My friend (not a citizen but resides here) got his visa very quickly after submitting his materials, I'm not sure if less than a month is enough though - it's certainly not enough to get a visa without having a non-UK Passport already.

As to qualifying for home fees, you have to be an EU/EEA resident for the last 3 years or show that your or your parents residence outside of the 'home zone' is temporary. A UK Passport is hardly qualification for this, but again the same friend as previously mentioned was able to get on home fees by getting UK Citizenship qualified by his residency. You can be resident in two countries at the same time, officially even if it doesn't make sense. It may be the case that a passport goes some way to showing intent of returing to the UK - making you a resident depending on your reason for being overseas. Not likely in the whole situation but I was just having a guess as to why a UK Passport was the goal when a visa is the easy option, especially at a late stage, even in early August a visa would have been the most obvious thing to do.

I'd call the IPS to check the status of your application, I hope you have your applicaton number and were born in/after 1983, provided that you are not already a British Citizen.

Last edited by chrisbeale; Sep 1st 2010 at 9:16 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Well having a passport of some sort means the application for a student visa is possible, time for a non UK passport + student visa would be prohibitively long. My friend (not a citizen but resides here) got his visa very quickly after submitting his materials, I'm not sure if less than a month is enough though - it's certainly not enough to get a visa without having a non-UK Passport already.

As to qualifying for home fees, you have to be an EU/EEA resident for the last 3 years or show that your or your parents residence outside of the 'home zone' is temporary. A UK Passport is hardly qualification for this, but again the same friend as previously mentioned was able to get on home fees by getting UK Citizenship qualified by his residency. You can be resident in two countries at the same time, officially even if it doesn't make sense. It may be the case that a passport goes some way to showing intent of returing to the UK - making you a resident depending on your reason for being overseas. Not likely in the whole situation but I was just having a guess as to why a UK Passport was the goal when a visa is the easy option, especially at a late stage, even in early August a visa would have been the most obvious thing to do.

I'd call the IPS to check the status of your application, I hope you have your applicaton number and were born in/after 1983, provided that you are not already a British Citizen.
The processing time in the Ottawa consulate for the type of student visa I would get (sponsored by my university) is 10 business days for 100% of cases and 5 days for 76% of cases. My tuition fees are paid in full and I have a CAS letter from my uni so it's fine.
The reason I chose to apply for my passport is because it's much more convenient, in terms of travel and working in the UK afterwards. The documents required for a passport were actually more easy for me to gather than those for the student visa at the time. There was no reason for me to waste time and money on a student visa when the passport is meant to be issued within 4-6 weeks. I am not at fault for the uk passport issuing office not complying with the time frame they post on their website.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

It's been a guideline of at least 6 weeks for first passports (drirect.gov) issued from the UK since at least April when I renewed my child passport and had to see if getting an adult one was a renewal or a first adult passport, it's a renewal but that's not important.

The website also says not to book travel without a passport as it's not a guarantee. It's not the IPS's fault. You are also applying from overseas, but what is done is done. Phone the IPS and check the status of your passport. The best course of action is to find out the progress of the application and then decide what to do after. It could well be lost. It's not worth losing your masters place over. Getting a first passport for someone overseas, qualifying through their mother's birth place is no trivial thing. If it's a case of them not having done anything so far then fair enough, but 6 weeks the time for UK based first time applicants.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

British Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond reputeBritish Consul has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: First time UK Passport Application- No news

It's been a guideline of at least 6 weeks for first passports (drirect.gov) issued from the UK since at least April when I renewed my child passport and had to see if getting an adult one was a renewal or a first adult passport, it's a renewal but that's not important.

The website also says not to book travel without a passport as it's not a guarantee. It's not the IPS's fault. You are also applying from overseas, but what is done is done. Phone the IPS and check the status of your passport. The best course of action is to find out the progress of the application and then decide what to do after. It could well be lost. It's not worth losing your masters place over. Getting a first passport for someone overseas, qualifying through their mother's birth place is no trivial thing. If it's a case of them not having done anything so far then fair enough, but 6 weeks the time for UK based first time applicants.
Don't contact the IPS - they currently don't run the overseas passport operation (but will from April next year). A lot of people making fraudulent passport applications try to rush the process (urgent need to travel etc) so don't be surprised if you don't hear anything whilst the application is being verified. The OP has sent a PM so I'll look into it from here.

Dean
Old Sep 1st 2010, 11:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by British Consul View Post
Don't contact the IPS - they currently don't run the overseas passport operation (but will from April next year). A lot of people making fraudulent passport applications try to rush the process (urgent need to travel etc) so don't be surprised if you don't hear anything whilst the application is being verified. The OP has sent a PM so I'll look into it from here.

Dean
Thank you Dean.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by British Consul View Post

Dean
My apologies, thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.