British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   First-time UK passport applicant overseas--advice please?! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/first-time-uk-passport-applicant-overseas-advice-please-594777/)

sarahdukie Mar 1st 2009 2:26 pm

First-time UK passport applicant overseas--advice please?!

About 3 weeks ago I submitted my completed application for my first UK passport (American born, British citizen by descent through father). My application was complete and supplied ample documentation of my birth, identity and parentage. Last week the British Embassy charged $200 to my credit card, and I am wondering if this is good news, meaning that my application was successful and my passport is on it's way, or bad news, meaning the Embassy merely charged me for processing my unsuccessful application (which they do now--no refunds. Grrr). Has anyone else recently been through this process? After you were charged, how long until you either received your passport, or you unsuccessful application back?

Many thanks for any input! I have been working towards this since November--what a nail-biter!!

lisa67 Mar 1st 2009 2:30 pm

Re: First-time UK passport applicant overseas--advice please?!

I believe it's been stated on here before that usually the passport arrives about a week after you've been charged..someone will come and correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right then you're nail biting days might soon be over :)

sarahdukie Mar 1st 2009 2:49 pm

Thank you, Lisa! Goodness, I hope so!

Jerseygirl Mar 1st 2009 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 7334702)
I believe it's been stated on here before that usually the passport arrives about a week after you've been charged..someone will come and correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm right then you're nail biting days might soon be over :)

That's correct...when payment is taken from your credit card it usually means the PP is ready to dispatched...it's normally received within 7 days.

New PPs usually take about a month...but I suppose it depends on ID checks.

sarahdukie Mar 2nd 2009 2:30 am

Thanks Jersey Girl--so does that imply that my passport application may still be being processed, even though I was charged, and I might still have to wait a month to learn if my app has been successful or rejected?:confused:

Jerseygirl Mar 2nd 2009 2:58 am

Originally Posted by sarahdukie (Post 7336149)
Thanks Jersey Girl--so does that imply that my passport application may still be being processed, even though I was charged, and I might still have to wait a month to learn if my app has been successful or rejected?:confused:

Has the full price of the PP been deducted from your credit card? If yes then your PP is probably on it's way.

sarahdukie Mar 2nd 2009 3:00 am

Yes, the full price ($200) as charged... but since the Embassy now charges for rejected applications as well, I'm nervous... but I have hope!

Jerseygirl Mar 2nd 2009 3:01 am

Originally Posted by sarahdukie (Post 7336219)
Yes, the full price ($200) as charged... but since the Embassy now charges for rejected applications as well, I'm nervous... but I have hope!

Are you a worrier? ;)

sarahdukie Mar 2nd 2009 3:04 am

lol, quite! Particularly because another fellow I met on this site had his application rejected SEVEN TIMES. I'm a student--I can't afford a $1400 passport!

Jerseygirl Mar 2nd 2009 3:06 am

Originally Posted by sarahdukie (Post 7336226)
lol, quite! Particularly because another fellow I met on this site had his application rejected SEVEN TIMES. I'm a student--I can't afford a $1400 passport!

Where are you studying?

BTW don't worry. :)

sarahdukie Mar 2nd 2009 3:11 am

Thanks! I am finishing a master's at Duke.

Jerseygirl Mar 2nd 2009 3:14 am

Originally Posted by sarahdukie (Post 7336239)
Thanks! I am finishing a master's at Duke.

Well done...:thumbsup:

sarahdukie Mar 2nd 2009 5:01 pm

:D last question--when you say new passports take a month, do you mean a month from when the apps were received by the Embassy (Feb 16) or a month from credit card charge? They charged my credit card on Feb 26, only 9 business days after receiving my application, which seems like very fast processing for a first time application...

Jerseygirl Mar 2nd 2009 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by sarahdukie (Post 7338148)
:D last question--when you say new passports take a month, do you mean a month from when the apps were received by the Embassy (Feb 16) or a month from credit card charge? They charged my credit card on Feb 26, only 9 business days after receiving my application, which seems like very fast processing for a first time application...

From the date it was received.

Sometimes they are very fast...I suppose it depends on many factors. You'll probably receive yours towards the end of the week or at the beginning of next week. Now stop fretting.:)

catinhat95 Mar 12th 2009 4:22 pm

Did you have to apply for citizenship before applying for your passport? Would you mind telling me the steps you went through, I am in a similar situation.