British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   First Time UK Child Passport App form OL dumb(?) question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/first-time-uk-child-passport-app-form-ol-dumb-question-802939/)

Sensible Jul 15th 2013 2:41 pm

First Time UK Child Passport App form OL dumb(?) question

I am applying for a UK passport for for my 15 year old, dual citizen son and have a quick (and probably dumb) question about signatures required in Section 8 "Undertakings" on the OL form available on line. There are two signatures boxes in this section. The first one is obviously for the parent/guardian signature, but underneath is a second box to be signed if child applicant is aged 12-15. Who signs this box, the child? The notes only talk about parent/guardian signatures and countersignings by professional known to parent (who signs in section 9).

sir_eccles Jul 15th 2013 3:53 pm

Re: First Time UK Child Passport App form OL dumb(?) question

One assumes your child is very shortly about to turn 16?

Sensible Jul 15th 2013 4:02 pm

He turns 16 in late December this year so according to guidelines his application is as a 12-15 y.o. child. I would wait until he turns 16 to apply for the passport but he is travelling to the UK for the first time as a British citizen this October (having received his Certificate of Registration as a British Citizen a few months ago) and technically requires a British passport to enter...

sir_eccles Jul 15th 2013 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Sensible (Post 10801221)
He turns 16 in late December this year so according to guidelines his application is as a 12-15 y.o. child. I would wait until he turns 16 to apply for the passport but he is travelling to the UK for the first time as a British citizen this October (having received his Certificate of Registration as a British Citizen a few months ago) and technically requires a British passport to enter...

If he is just visiting, no he doesn't. They aren't as strict as the US where he has to enter and leave on his US passport. He can enter the UK on his US passport quite safely.

I'd save your money and wait until the end of the year.

Sensible Jul 15th 2013 4:12 pm

Thanks for the info on the entry requirements. In view of that, waiting until he turns 16 is great advice.

MarylandNed Jul 15th 2013 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10801237)
If he is just visiting, no he doesn't. They aren't as strict as the US where he has to enter and leave on his US passport. He can enter the UK on his US passport quite safely.

I'd save your money and wait until the end of the year.

+1

All 6 of my family (all UK citizens) have visited the UK using US passports at one time or another.

If he's in the UK for long enough, he might even be able to apply for a UK passport while there. It's much cheaper getting it in the UK.

BritInParis Jul 21st 2013 9:50 pm

A 16 year old would get a ten year passport; a 15 year old would only get a five year. Best to wait unless you need it before his birthday.