Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

first time question...newbie!!!!

first time question...newbie!!!!

Old Nov 27th 2003, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

oreo_kid_69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default first time question...newbie!!!!

hi there,,i live in UK all my life...i am 23. I met my girlfriend online 8 months ago. she lives in texas. i went to visit in oct, and she is coming in jan. the thing is....soon, i might wanna move out there. can someone basically tell me what this involves. i know some things, and from what i've senn, it takes some time and a lot of effort. would it be easier for her to come here??
any help at all would be greatly appreciated.....thanks
dave
Old Nov 27th 2003, 10:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first time question...newbie!!!!

Originally posted by oreo_kid_69
hi there, i live in UK all my life...i am 23. I met my girlfriend online 8 months ago. she lives in texas. i went to visit in oct, and she is coming in jan. the thing is....soon, i might wanna move out there. .....
If you are prepared to get married, or commit to getting married within 90 days of arriving in the USA, then option (i) is for you, if not you are left with the options every other would-be immigrant else is stuck with - as a British citizen, the only realistic options you have are (ii) or (iii) in my list below, and neither is easy.

It is barely any easier for you girlfriend to go to the UK, though if she is eligible for a visa then the process is actually much quicker than for you to get a visa to come to the US. It typically takes a minimum of four-five months, and sometimes longer, for the US embassy in London to issue a marriage or fiancé's visa.

I hope this helps.

Pulaski

=====================================

There are basically six ways (seven if you have a close relative who is a USC and is willing to sponsor you) that you can get a visa to live and work in the US:

(i) Marriage (or engagement in anticipation of marriage) to a US citizen.
(ii) You have skills that are in short supply in the US e.g. IT, scientific or medical training. (The list of qualifying occupations is actually quite long, but visas are very limited for 2004 going forward, making it a difficult route to follow, and you have to have the backing of an employer, which isn't easy as employers are likely to take a local employee before going to the trouble and expense of helping an immigrant obtain a visa.)
(iii) You have an employer who is willing to transfer you - but even the employer has to make a good case for you - so you have to be a manager unless you fall under category (ii), above.
(iv) get a greencard in the diversity lottery (UK citizens, except N.Ireland are not eligible)
(v) You own a business (does not get you permanent resident status i.e. no greencard)
(vi) You are an "investor" i.e. you have at least US$1m in assets to bring with you.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 28th 2003 at 10:08 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2003, 11:10 am
Just Joined

oreo_kid_69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thanks

thankyou very much for the response...very informative....looks like marriage is the best option!!!!!
Old Nov 28th 2003, 10:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: thanks

Originally posted by oreo_kid_69
thankyou very much for the response...very informative....looks like marriage is the best option!!!!!
You're welcome, and good luck with what ever you decide to do!