Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First Message, any help please

First Message, any help please

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:29 pm
Banned

ThomasLovesLions777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First Message, any help please

Hi everyone, Its my first message on these forums so I apologise for putting this on the wrong message board. I would like any ideas or suggestions if possible from everyone, Im 25 years old and have a Business Studies Diploma with A Levels and GCSE qualifications A-C grades. I am single and have about 10,000 UK Pounds saved and looking for a fresh start and to get out of the UK. I am into my fitness and exercise and work in a gym full time. I just want some options about what to do and would love a fresh start somewhere.
Thanks everyone

Thomas
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Message, any help please

Originally Posted by ThomasLovesLions777
Hi everyone, Its my first message on these forums so I apologise for putting this on the wrong message board. I would like any ideas or suggestions if possible from everyone, Im 25 years old and have a Business Studies Diploma with A Levels and GCSE qualifications A-C grades. I am single and have about 10,000 UK Pounds saved and looking for a fresh start and to get out of the UK. I am into my fitness and exercise and work in a gym full time. I just want some options about what to do and would love a fresh start somewhere.
Thanks everyone

Thomas
Hi Thomas,

The US is notoriously difficult to get into and I think from what you've said, it's highly unlikely you'd qualify for any visa.

But check out this link and see if you would fit the criteria for any of them.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

If not, then consider another country. Good luck.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:35 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone

Thomas
Never apologize here... But welcome to the Forum. Do you prefer French Stick, Hog dogs, Paella or Pasta as this may give an indication on what country suits you the best. Then you have to mold your skills to the country in question.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Apr 2nd 2009 at 5:38 pm. Reason: Last edited by President Obama
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

......I am single and have about 10,000 UK Pounds saved and looking for a fresh start and to get out of the UK. ...........I just want some options about what to do and would love a fresh start somewhere.
Thanks everyone

Thomas
What do you hope to gain by moving to the US?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice

If you're 25 look at working holiday visas (WHV's), Canada offers one year WHV's through bunac (www.bunac.org), New Zealand has an unlimited number of WHV's from 12 to 23 months, you can apply online at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ (a medical is required to extend the 12 month to 23 month visa). Apart from that I believe Australia will also offer a similar visa but you have to change jobs every 3 months (I believe).

Forget about the USA.

Timescale wise:

Canada - 6 to 8 weeks to process (you also require a police check) - total cost roughly 1000 GBP with flights, insurance, Bunac fees etc...

New Zealand - Takes a few days, apply direct, it is much cheaper than through bunac. I believe about 85 pounds.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to beholdSir Denis Eaton-Hogg is a splendid one to behold

thomas,

My suggestion...if you are outgoing and self motivated and don't mind your own company. (If you don't want to do it alone look for a similarly minded friend who could be a travelling companion?)

Take a month holiday from work, if you can. Don't give up a good job to try this.

Fly to fairly cheap hub destination like Atlanta or Chicago on a tourist visa-waiver (gives you up to 90 days for a HOLIDAY) on a return ticket that flies out of the country in a completely different location 4 weeks later, rent a car and spend those 4 weeks driving across the county to your departure airport, stopping in non-tourist places and trying to meet real people. Stay in cheap motels and hostels and go where other 25 years olds hang out and strike up conversation. Most Americans are warm and friendly and a British accent is an immediate ice breaker. Try to take in the good and the bad places and experience as broad a range of places as possible. You won't be able to see it all, every town and place is different and 2 weeks in Orlando does not count.

Worst case scenario you will have had an adventure and it should not set you back that much cash, plus you will have broadened your horizons.

Best case once you get home if you liked what you experienced of 'America' you can consider spending the next 5+ years of your life trying to find a legitimate way to come back more long term. Although be warned it is a difficult, expensive and complicated process. There is NO easy way to sample it. Sadly truth is that simply being British affords us marvelous opportunities to go wherever we like in the EU and live and work in a number of exciting countries... but it puts us pretty much at the bottom of the pile when it comes to the USA.

Good luck!

Sir D

Last edited by Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg; Apr 2nd 2009 at 7:10 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

Have you thought about working on a cruise liner. I have a friend whose son has been doing this for a few years. Travelling the world - what a life, or you could apply to work at a resort - perhaps in Canada? I think?? Canada is like USA, but without the crime. Never been to USA, so not sure, but is my belief
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Have you thought about working on a cruise liner. I have a friend whose son has been doing this for a few years. Travelling the world - what a life, or you could apply to work at a resort - perhaps in Canada? I think?? Canada is like USA, but without the crime. Never been to USA, so not sure, but is my belief
They don't have crime in Canada
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Antstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really niceAntstar is just really nice

It's against the law - didn't you know?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muskoka
Canada is like USA, but without the crime. Never been to USA, so not sure, but is my belief
With all due respect, your 'belief' is a sweeping generalisation and incorrect. There are many areas of the US that are much safer and have less crime than areas of Canada.

Perhaps wait until you've actually visited somewhere before jumping to conclusions and believing cliches?!?

P.S. I should add that the only place I've ever been a victim of crime was Toronto, where I was once attacked - despite travelling the world for 3 years including 10 different countries in Africa, most of South America, and cities like New York, Miami, LA, Las Vegas, etc, etc!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 2nd 2009 at 8:25 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

Muskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond reputeMuskoka has a reputation beyond repute

I did point out that I haven't visited USA....... I think that was fairly clear to one & all Of course there is bad & good everywhere. I've been travelling the world for 4 years now - hmm, need to settle down err, sometime soon....maybe

I prefer to see the good in places if at all possible. (Smile and the world smiles with you)

Last edited by Muskoka; Apr 2nd 2009 at 8:26 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:18 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi Thomas,

The US is notoriously difficult to get into and I think from what you've said, it's highly unlikely you'd qualify for any visa.

But check out this link and see if you would fit the criteria for any of them.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulaski's_Ways:_How_to_Live_and_Work_in_the_USA

If not, then consider another country. Good luck.
Thanks for the Link and reply I really appreciate it friend
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:20 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Antstar
If you're 25 look at working holiday visas (WHV's), Canada offers one year WHV's through bunac (www.bunac.org), New Zealand has an unlimited number of WHV's from 12 to 23 months, you can apply online at http://www.immigration.govt.nz/ (a medical is required to extend the 12 month to 23 month visa). Apart from that I believe Australia will also offer a similar visa but you have to change jobs every 3 months (I believe).

Forget about the USA.

Timescale wise:

Canada - 6 to 8 weeks to process (you also require a police check) - total cost roughly 1000 GBP with flights, insurance, Bunac fees etc...

New Zealand - Takes a few days, apply direct, it is much cheaper than through bunac. I believe about 85 pounds.

Thanks for the informative message, Will those countries you mentioned be interested in me? because I dont have a particular skill or degree, Just a Diploma at the Highest level?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sir Denis Eaton-Hogg
thomas,

My suggestion...if you are outgoing and self motivated and don't mind your own company. (If you don't want to do it alone look for a similarly minded friend who could be a travelling companion?)

Take a month holiday from work, if you can. Don't give up a good job to try this.

Fly to fairly cheap hub destination like Atlanta or Chicago on a tourist visa-waiver (gives you up to 90 days for a HOLIDAY) on a return ticket that flies out of the country in a completely different location 4 weeks later, rent a car and spend those 4 weeks driving across the county to your departure airport, stopping in non-tourist places and trying to meet real people. Stay in cheap motels and hostels and go where other 25 years olds hang out and strike up conversation. Most Americans are warm and friendly and a British accent is an immediate ice breaker. Try to take in the good and the bad places and experience as broad a range of places as possible. You won't be able to see it all, every town and place is different and 2 weeks in Orlando does not count.

Worst case scenario you will have had an adventure and it should not set you back that much cash, plus you will have broadened your horizons.

Best case once you get home if you liked what you experienced of 'America' you can consider spending the next 5+ years of your life trying to find a legitimate way to come back more long term. Although be warned it is a difficult, expensive and complicated process. There is NO easy way to sample it. Sadly truth is that simply being British affords us marvelous opportunities to go wherever we like in the EU and live and work in a number of exciting countries... but it puts us pretty much at the bottom of the pile when it comes to the USA.

Good luck!

Sir D
Thanks you gave me some great advice, I didnt think of the EU, I dont speak any other language other than English thats my problem, I really am interested in Holland thinking about it now
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 10:24 pm
Banned

Thanks everyone who replied, I really Really Appreciate it, I replied but I cannot see my messages, But I want to take this opportunity to thank you all,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.