Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First interview in 13 years!!

First interview in 13 years!!

Old Mar 23rd 2004, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Default First interview in 13 years!!

I knew this day would eventually come around. But now I am actually rather nervous. I got a call today for a job I had applied for on saturday regarding a assistant production manager for a printing/copy firm. They called this morning and I swear I must have sounded like a nervous little school girl!. lol Took me a few minutes to snap into interview mode.

So what advice would you all give me to help razzle dazzle myself a job on thursday?
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 6:39 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First interview in 13 years!!

Originally posted by Pimpbot
I knew this day would eventually come around. But now I am actually rather nervous. I got a call today for a job I had applied for on saturday regarding a assistant production manager for a printing/copy firm. They called this morning and I swear I must have sounded like a nervous little school girl!. lol Took me a few minutes to snap into interview mode.

So what advice would you all give me to help razzle dazzle myself a job on thursday?
Congrats, you always come across as a decent bloke Pimp, but use your real name for a start.....

go get em tiger!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 6:40 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First interview in 13 years!!

Originally posted by Pimpbot

During my job hunting in the US, there's a tendency of interviewers to unwittingly ask definite "no no" questions since you're not an American. e.g. how long have you been in the US? Are you married to an American? Do you have a Green Card?

Such questions are definitely not OK 'cos any questions should relate directly to the job you're applying for. At the worst, your answers could be held against you and you'd lose the job because of discrimination/favoritsm for an American. At the best, you'd get the job 'cos of the novelty of having a Brit in the workforce.

When it comes to eligbility to work, you should stick to keep your answer(s) brief and to the point, i.e. that you have approrpriate documentation that entitles you to work legally in the US.

The average HR person in the US probably does not run across many British or European candidates and interviewing managers even fewer.

Be prepared to explain how your experience/qualifications are transferable to the job you're applying for. The interviewer may not apparently see the connections between what you've done/qualifications gained overseas with the job on offer.

The aim is to come across as a somebody who's experience and qualities make them a great asset to the employer, regardless of where the experience was gained.

Of course, you have to gauge the interviewer's reaction to you and it helps to "mirror" their body language.

I wish you a lot of luck at the interview. Maybe your spouse can fire questions at you and the two of you can see how you react and how well you answer.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:01 pm
Professional Mover

Location: Derry, NH Via Salem, NH via Ma, NC, ex Manchester, UK.
RoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to beholdRoB1833 is a splendid one to behold

The interviews I've had have seemed less formal than the one's in the UK. The questions weren't as detailed and there weren't as many, plus I've not had to go through the whole 'workshop' day (interview, testing, role play, etc) which I would have to have done for similar roles back home.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:04 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Smile a lot and keep what you say to a concise minimum. Use silence to your advantage!
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

I would also add, to try to make/ give the impression of what you did in the UK is almost/is the same as what you will be doing in the USA.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
I would also add, to try to make/ give the impression of what you did in the UK is almost/is the same as what you will be doing in the USA.
Thats pretty much how I sold myself today in the phone interview. The job is very similar in regards to the actual work and the fact that I would be supervisory, but reporting to a manager above myself. The main difference is that its more of a retail job, rather than a factory/print shop type setting. I have no retail/money handling experience.

I'm putting together a folder with two very good references that my former bosses put together before I left the U.K. and I have also printed off a small amount of pictures from my previous job to give them some kind of idea of the equipment we used.

I am definately going into this interview with the thoughts that if I don't get it, it wouldnt be the end of the world. It would be more about getting through an American interview process which will give me a better understanding of how things work come the next time. Plus I am still waiting for ASU to contact me regarding a job I applied for at the weekend. Even though that one was part time, I'd much rather get my foot in the door there.
Old Mar 23rd 2004, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

To continue with the good news. My EAD arrived today. Yeah!. I can finally go get a state ID or drivers license and not have to carry my passport around at all times.
Old Mar 24th 2004, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

All good experience whatever happens Pimbot. One thing that's always worked for me when asked at interview if I've had experience of something I haven't- I answer "no, but I'm a very quick learner." Smile and be positive even if you have to answer with a negative. I agree with Princess too- use silence to your advantage.
Congrats on getting an interview and good luck!
Old Mar 24th 2004, 9:07 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Try this website to help with your interview http://www.austingrouplp.com/files/ivq.htm
Old Mar 25th 2004, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well, it went rather well. No real nerves when I got there and I think I did a good job answering the questions I was asked. It seemed fairly similar to what I did in the U.K. only with slightly different equipment. The money seems pretty good also and there is a rather nice bonus plan. Infact, salary wise I'd be earning anything from a small amount more than I was earning in the U.K. to a possible large increase. They seemed very happy, but I guess I'll find out next week.
Old Mar 27th 2004, 4:17 pm
Wabbit Lord

waxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant futurewaxwabbit has a brilliant future

good luck pimp!