Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First Indian meal in 6 years.

First Indian meal in 6 years.

Old Aug 26th 2006, 10:27 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Indian meal in 6 years.

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yeah they've got lots here but not the same as ours in epsom...the bombay pots here are just like little hard potatoes like you get in tins, we've eaten at about 6 or 7 indian restaurants here and not felt so good later on and always are disappointed so we just save ourselves for our local in blighty ...aww here it is

http://www.lerajrestaurant.co.uk/Scripts/homepage.asp....
I've been to more than ten Indian restaurants in my area (none in Raleigh yet) and no Indian meal (including buffets) have made me ill yet.

For the last Indian meal I ate, I asked for "Indian hot" and the heat level was much better.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 27th 2006, 12:54 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the Aakash last time we were back in the UK - claims to be the biggest indian restaurant in the world - not bad, not bad at all.Aakash - the biggest Indian restaurant in the world Best bit is the clocks showing the times in the cities where they have branches - New Delhi, Islamabad, Cleckheaton...

Trubrit -we got a new one opened on Mason road a few months back - the Mantra - very englsih style - the family found their way here via the UK- even do Onion Bhajis (though they're the flat round ones, not the balls). By the way, are you going to answer Swifty101 or am I...be gentle!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:02 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
My mate at the SUNOCO down the road is from Pakistan, his wife is a white American born and bred but had taken the muslim religion because as she says 'It is the one true religoin' ........ I like both of them, they are a nice couple and this week kate and I were invited to dine at their home.

It was the best meal I have had outside our house in 6 years, .... better than the Tajmahal in Marefair, Northampton anyway Lamb Tika, Bombay spuds, spicey vegies, loads of other stuff the names of which I can't remember ?
This guy who wanders around the town in Levis, tee shirt and a baseball cap answered the door in a long traditional outift and bare feet, he showed me his GUN COLECTION (lots of them) in his prayer room in which I had to remove my shoes. There was a huge framed photo of Ayatola Homieni (or what ever the blokes name was).

This was a real culture shock to me, but he will remain my mate and the meal was outstanding. Kate has invited them for a traditional US meal and he has to go and get whatever type of meat she wants because he can eat only specially butchered stuff .............. how do you specially butcher a hamburger ?
The other half has many Indian coworkers and as a result of saying he's a fan of Indian food has been given the inside scoop on the good Indian restos in the area. The lucky bugger is also able to go to many of these places with these coworkers at lunchtime.

I've yet to find any coworker in my place who's game for Indian so I usually go with Patrick (of Pagan Sex God "fame") for an Indian lunch.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
We went to the Aakash last time we were back in the UK - claims to be the biggest indian restaurant in the world - not bad, not bad at all.Aakash - the biggest Indian restaurant in the world Best bit is the clocks showing the times in the cities where they have branches - New Delhi, Islamabad, Cleckheaton...

Trubrit -we got a new one opened on Mason road a few months back - the Mantra - very englsih style - the family found their way here via the UK- even do Onion Bhajis (though they're the flat round ones, not the balls). By the way, are you going to answer Swifty101 or am I...be gentle!
hey yorkie...i was on mason yesterday visiting brendan's however next time i'll take a look at 'the mantra'..... how far along mason is it?

if anyone goes to london a favourite of ours is veeraswamy on regent st, it is reputedly the oldest surviving indian restaurant in the uk....

http://www.veeraswamy.com/rvshome_red.htm

now yorkie as for our mancunian newbie...think i'll leave it up to you being as you are in katy and that's were he's house hunting....besides i'm having a positive day today
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:05 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

hey yorkie...i was on mason yesterday visiting brendan's however next time i'll take a look at 'the mantra'..... how far along mason is it?

if anyone goes to london a favourite of ours is veeraswamy on regent st, it is reputedly the oldest surviving indian restaurant in the uk....

http://www.veeraswamy.com/rvshome_red.htm

now yorkie as for our mancunian newbie...think i'll leave it up to you being as you are in katy and that's were he's house hunting....besides i'm having a positive day today

Mantras in the same strip as Cici's pizza - bet you're a regular there eh Next door to Bistro 829 - maybe more up your street...

Veeraswamy's - used to go there a lot in the early 90's when I was working in London - veeeery nice!! Although if I were paying it'd be more like Brick Lane.

i spent a while last night putting up a very reasonable post to me newbie, only to find it was a bit of a waste of time!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

Mantras in the same strip as Cici's pizza - bet you're a regular there eh Next door to Bistro 829 - maybe more up your street...

Veeraswamy's - used to go there a lot in the early 90's when I was working in London - veeeery nice!! Although if I were paying it'd be more like Brick Lane.

i spent a while last night putting up a very reasonable post to me newbie, only to find it was a bit of a waste of time!
ok been to bistro 829 a few times so know where you mean,tks

i'll go and check out the newbie thread....

ok can't see your post perhaps you pm'd him...

found your fair and balanced post on another thread.

Last edited by TruBrit; Aug 27th 2006 at 3:44 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 3:57 pm

found your fair and balanced post on another thread.
I was quite proud of that one!! managed to tell the truth without slagging the place off once! Should've been in marketing
Old Aug 27th 2006, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

I was quite proud of that one!! managed to tell the truth without slagging the place off once! Should've been in marketing

lol now go tell that to pimpbot on the other thread about houston
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:14 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
so true - a lot of "relatives goin" to the mosque together
sorry my attempt at jokes are awful
Just wanted to make it clear to everybody (if anybody cares ) that I was not making fun of the muslim religion
but patricks' spelling (sorry Patrick!) - RELIGOIN.
RELI-GOIN. (get it? my dreadful attempt at humour!)

Just thought reading back on post I should make myself clear for the people that don't know me.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:18 pm

lol now go tell that to pimpbot on the other thread about houston
To be honest, he's right though - if you just look at the neighbourhoods, they do look nice - everywhere is well kept, reasonably well planned, the houses are reasonable by American architectural standards, etc etc. Its just a bit dull and characterless, but that wouldn't come across in the programme pimpbot had seen. And to be fair, I am sure its not the only part of suburban US (or UK for that matter) that that accusation could be levelled at..........................
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

To be honest, he's right though - if you just look at the neighbourhoods, they do look nice - everywhere is well kept, reasonably well planned, the houses are reasonable by American architectural standards, etc etc. Its just a bit dull and characterless, but that wouldn't come across in the programme pimpbot had seen. And to be fair, I am sure its not the only part of suburban US (or UK for that matter) that that accusation could be levelled at..........................

true, very true and going back to the newbie guy, that's why i suggested the newbie rent in katy or wherever as one never knows a place until they live in it....it all looks 'nice' on the surface which is so typical of the usa imo
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:27 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Wll to tell you the truth, I've never had lamb either. it was always chicken or king prawn for me - mmmmmmmm
Now I want a curry!!! special fried rice and a peshwari naan....

Special fried rice? Isn't that Chinese?

Both halal and kosher meat are animals killed by cutting their throats I think there is some sort of prayer said over it.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:56 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

better than the Tajmahal in Marefair, Northampton anyway
I love that restaurant!!! One of the best I've ever come across.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:58 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

My mate at the SUNOCO down the road is from Pakistan, his wife is a white American born and bred but had taken the muslim religion because as she says 'It is the one true religoin' ........ I like both of them, they are a nice couple and this week kate and I were invited to dine at their home.

It was the best meal I have had outside our house in 6 years, .... better than the Tajmahal in Marefair, Northampton anyway Lamb Tika, Bombay spuds, spicey vegies, loads of other stuff the names of which I can't remember ?
This guy who wanders around the town in Levis, tee shirt and a baseball cap answered the door in a long traditional outift and bare feet, he showed me his GUN COLECTION (lots of them) in his prayer room in which I had to remove my shoes. There was a huge framed photo of Ayatola Homieni (or what ever the blokes name was).

This was a real culture shock to me, but he will remain my mate and the meal was outstanding. Kate has invited them for a traditional US meal and he has to go and get whatever type of meat she wants because he can eat only specially butchered stuff .............. how do you specially butcher a hamburger ?

Sorry to go off track here but I just have to tell you that I had a chicken tikka marsala with onion naan bread on Friday and it was bloody lovely! It was from Quincy market in Boston and cost about $9.00 for more than I could eat. I wish I could eat there every day!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:02 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blaze
Sorry to go off track here but I just have to tell you that I had a chicken tikka marsala with onion naan bread on Friday and it was bloody lovely! It was from Quincy market in Boston and cost about $9.00 for more than I could eat. I wish I could eat there every day!
Now this is just getting spooky... I was in Beantown in April and had a chicken tikka marsala in Faneuil Hall... it was delish! And also way too big. I saw a ton of places there to have curries, so I indulged a bunch! LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.