British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   First Citation since moving to the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/first-citation-since-moving-us-769773/)

DavidLemon Aug 28th 2012 4:50 pm

First Citation since moving to the US

Hi All

Today i got a citation from a state trooper for travelling in the breakdown lane on my scooter.
There is a small section on Route 1 South that meets with the off ramp of 95 South. 4 Lanes merge into 2 instantly at the point the roads meet, and it is always mayhem with cars trying to beat each other for space. So me being on a small scoot, i tend to just zip into the breakdown lane at this point and then pass the hazard and then rejoin the road about 200ft or so past. Alas today there was a copper there waiting and he pulled me over.

Im not trying to justify my actions, i know it is a violation and will be more than begrudgingly happy to pay the $100 fine that came with it. However my question is this.

Does this citation for traveling in the breakdown lane affect my insurance? I have fully comprehensive insurance on both my bike and my car, and it is not cheap. Is it likely that it will increase my premiums?

I dont know much about how insurance works over here, but back home you only get higher premiums if you have points attached to your License. This i believe is just a citation with a fine. I could be wrong hence coming here to be educated :)

Michael Aug 28th 2012 4:58 pm

Re: First Citation since moving to the US

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10250996)
Hi All

Today i got a citation from a state trooper for travelling in the breakdown lane on my scooter.
There is a small section on Route 1 South that meets with the off ramp of 95 South. 4 Lanes merge into 2 instantly at the point the roads meet, and it is always mayhem with cars trying to beat each other for space. So me being on a small scoot, i tend to just zip into the breakdown lane at this point and then pass the hazard and then rejoin the road about 200ft or so past. Alas today there was a copper there waiting and he pulled me over.

Im not trying to justify my actions, i know it is a violation and will be more than begrudgingly happy to pay the $100 fine that came with it. However my question is this.

Does this citation for traveling in the breakdown lane affect my insurance? I have fully comprehensive insurance on both my bike and my car, and it is not cheap. Is it likely that it will increase my premiums?

I dont know much about how insurance works over here, but back home you only get higher premiums if you have points attached to your License. This i believe is just a citation with a fine. I could be wrong hence coming here to be educated :)

Normally most states allow you to attend a 4-8 hour driver education class (held by private companies so you must pay for it) every 18 months to 3 years for normal traffic citations. Once that is complete and recorded with the traffic court, the citation is removed from your record and will not affect your insurance rates.

DavidLemon Aug 28th 2012 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 10251015)
Normally most states allow you to attend a 4-8 hour driver education class (held by private companies so you must pay for it) every 18 months to 3 years for normal traffic citations. Once that is complete and recorded with the traffic court, the citation is removed from your record and will not affect your insurance rates.

How does one go about that then? Do i have to go to court to ask for it or do i just call up said private company and explain why im there?

Actually the latter sounds like a plan, will start there :)

Giantaxe Aug 28th 2012 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10250996)
Im not trying to justify my actions, i know it is a violation and will be more than begrudgingly happy to pay the $100 fine that came with it.

Think yourself lucky it's $100. Here it would be over $300!

md95065 Aug 28th 2012 5:33 pm

Normally, if you are eligible for traffic school, that will be listed as an option when you get the notice of the citation in the mail and it will include instructions on what you have to do.

DavidLemon Aug 28th 2012 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 10251059)
Think yourself lucky it's $100. Here it would be over $300!

Its all good. Not sure how your comment helps me, but your point is noted.

Would rather stay on topic though and not deviate into a we get charged more than you do scenario. It is what it is (finally get to use this statement :D)

DavidLemon Aug 28th 2012 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10251064)
Normally, if you are eligible for traffic school, that will be listed as an option when you get the notice of the citation in the mail and it will include instructions on what you have to do.

ok so even though i have the ticket given to me in hand with the envelope to send payment in, im likely to get something in the post? Damn might have to tell wifey what happened now lol

Sally Redux Aug 28th 2012 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10251045)
How does one go about that then? Do i have to go to court to ask for it or do i just call up said private company and explain why im there?

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 10251064)

Yes, wait and see what they tell you to do when it comes in the mail.

Michael Aug 28th 2012 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10251045)

Depends on the state. Some times you have to attend traffic court and the presiding officer will set the fine (sometime reduced) and ask if you want to attend traffic school and if you want to, you pay the fine and cost of the traffic school and when you attend (your choice of which company), you send the completed form to the traffic court.

Also some states allow you to ask for traffic school by showing up at the courthouse to pay your fine and even others may allow a request by mail.

So contact the traffic court to see what procedure is used.

Bob Aug 28th 2012 5:59 pm

In MA, you get one free pass for certain moving violations/speeding every 3 or 5 years, I can't remember which, as long as booze/drugs weren't involved.

So don't worry about it.

Bob Aug 28th 2012 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10251070)
ok so even though i have the ticket given to me in hand with the envelope to send payment in, im likely to get something in the post? Damn might have to tell wifey what happened now lol

The citation will have the details of the offence and an address to send the cheque to Boston and a contact number if you want to contest the ticket.

If you contest it and win, that's that, if you lose, the fine increases usually.

For $100 and being guilty, just suck it up and pay and ignore it, won't be worth the hassle of going to Boston to court it out, plus parking for the day would be half the ticket anyway.

DavidLemon Aug 28th 2012 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10251121)
In MA, you get one free pass for certain moving violations/speeding every 3 or 5 years, I can't remember which, as long as booze/drugs weren't involved.

So don't worry about it.

Cheers Bob. I like the sound of that :)

Im not going to contest it, never even thought about it. Im as guilty as they come to be fair. However i was interested in knowing if they would up my insurance because of it. Someone mentioned it and i thought that is going to get me in a whole heap of trouble with the wife when she finds out.

I will just put it behind me :)

Bob Aug 28th 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 10251194)

Im not going to contest it, never even thought about it. Im as guilty as they come to be fair. However i was interested in knowing if they would up my insurance because of it. Someone mentioned it and i thought that is going to get me in a whole heap of trouble with the wife when she finds out.

If booze was involved or you were 30 over the limit, I think it is, then it would. The next offense will be the kicker, so hopefully you have a bit more luck in the future :)

DavidLemon Aug 29th 2012 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10251637)
If booze was involved or you were 30 over the limit, I think it is, then it would. The next offense will be the kicker, so hopefully you have a bit more luck in the future :)

Cool no drink or drugs involved and speed was not an issue. The civil violation was literally just driving in the break down lane.

I'm not planning on a second violation :)

englishman_in_NY Aug 29th 2012 4:24 am

Don't know about MA but I get the impression that in some places a good lawyer can usually get minor moving violations reduced to a fine without points. Whether or not it's worth the cost depends on the circumstances.