Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

First Album you ever bought?

First Album you ever bought?

Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:15 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Album you ever bought?

I haven't gotten into the MP3 / Ipod player thing. I still listen to CD's in the car, and a combination of CD's, cassette tapes, and even vinyl records at home. But overwhelmingly most of my music listening is in the car.

Does an Ipod play through the speakers in the car, or what? No idea how this stuff works. LOL

As an aside, I just bought third row tickets to go see Roger Daltrey (solo) in Tucson in 2 weeks! WOO HOO!!! Soooo excited!

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Does an Ipod play through the speakers in the car, or what? No idea how this stuff works. LOL
They have these kind of car adapters for ipod/MP3 players but as the reviews point out, there tends to be a lot of static/interference especially when near power lines. They work by using the FM band and tune into a supposedly unused frequency:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_599F8M0...al.html?tp=121

The best way is to hard-wire to the radio/CD unit in your car. Newer cars often have a min-jack socket you can plug into. My Honda surprisingly didn't have one although the new style Civics do.

Last edited by Brit3964; Jun 7th 2010 at 10:51 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brit3964
They have these kind of car adapters for ipod/MP3 players but as the reviews point out, there tends to be a lot of static/interference especially when near power lines. They work by using the FM band and tune into a supposedly unused frequency:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_599F8M0...al.html?tp=121

The best way is to hard-wire to the radio/CD unit in your car. Newer cars often have a min-jack socket you can plug into. My Honda surprisingly didn't have one although the new style Civics do.
My Honda is a 2004 Accord so it probably doesn't have that, either.

Edit...I moved the rest of my post here to a new thread since it deals with ipods.

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

My Honda is a 2004 Accord so it probably doesn't have that, either.

Edit...I moved the rest of my post here to a new thread since it deals with ipods.

Rene
Does your honda have a trunk mounted CD Player? If so you are in luck. My old 1993 Acura had a trunk-mounted 6-CD changer, and all I had to do was buy an 'adapter' that converted the interface to an ipod. The '6 CDs' became the first 6 playlists on the iPod. 'Next Track' became 'next song', and so on. It was very cool. My newer Acura now has a plug

I just gave away a perfectly fine 60 Gig Ipod since I never use it; I'm having dinner tomorrow with the person I gave it to; if she's not using it, I'll pull it back and give it to you!

PS - I am looking for a used Honda Accord - wanna sell yours?!

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 7th 2010 at 11:19 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are, the head unit has a audio in socket, so you can connect any mp3 player with a audio out or the head phone socket to the cars stereo.

If your stereo doesn't have a input, you can get a tape converter for a tape deck, which you can hook up to the mp3 player, or use the radio transmitters, but those are a bit rubbish, especially in built up areas.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Does your honda have a trunk mounted CD Player?
Nope.

PS - I am looking for a used Honda Accord - wanna sell yours?!
Hmmm, maybe? Not sure I can afford a new one, though...LOL We need to have dinner at Pars to discsuss it!

Rene
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I just gave away a perfectly fine 60 Gig Ipod since I never use it; I'm having dinner tomorrow with the person I gave it to; if she's not using it, I'll pull it back and give it to you!
I forgot to say thanks for this!

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Chances are, the head unit has a audio in socket, so you can connect any mp3 player with a audio out or the head phone socket to the cars stereo.
It does. The Generation 7 Accords use the dash-mounted radio/CD changer units. I almost bought one of those Denison ICE adapters which are Honda wiring specific. The bad thing is getting to the back of the unit, have to remove half the dash to do it! It plugs into the XM radio socket (ext-CD changer input) but then you loose the XM radio facility. There's a Y adapter available but I'd read it doesn't work too well. Tends to not suppress the XM radio channel so you still hear it under the MP3 player during the quiet bits. It's easier just to use CDs instead.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It was either Bad Girls (Donna Summer) or the soundtrack from Saturday Night Fever. Damn the Torpedoes (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) was in there somewhere too.

I remember in junior high a girl brought the newly released Off the Wall to gym class and the coach let us play it during class. It was a tween frenzy with all the girls dancing together. Rock with You is still one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:29 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
It was either Bad Girls (Donna Summer) or the soundtrack from Saturday Night Fever. Damn the Torpedoes (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers) was in there somewhere too.

I remember in junior high a girl brought the newly released Off the Wall to gym class and the coach let us play it during class. It was a tween frenzy with all the girls dancing together. Rock with You is still one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs.
Happy days! I still have Damn the Torpedoes on cassette; my mom had the LPs of Saturday Night Fever.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:20 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my this takes me back some! First LP is kinda like your first kiss, a never to be forgotten memory, and trust me my first kiss was scarred on my memory ( no -one told me you did the breathing through the nose thing ) It was more akin to an endurance feat than enjoyable! Plus of course he let everyone know I couldn't kiss! Thanks for that Steven Adams! Well what did I know I was 12 Fortunately, I had a slightly older g/friend who was more than happy to help me learn... YAY!!

Opps sorta got off track here... back to my first album < tada >

Electric Warrior - wonderful stuff!!

Favorite track : Life's A Gas

I could have loved you girl
Like a planet
I could have chained your heart
To a star

But it really doesn't matter at all
No it really doesn't matter at all
Life's a gas,
I hope it's gonna last

Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
Oh my this takes me back some! First LP is kinda like your first kiss, a never to be forgotten memory, and trust me my first kiss was scarred on my memory ( no -one told me you did the breathing through the nose thing ) It was more akin to an endurance feat than enjoyable! Plus of course he let everyone know I couldn't kiss! Thanks for that Steven Adams! Well what did I know I was 12 Fortunately, I had a slightly older g/friend who was more than happy to help me learn... YAY!!

Opps sorta got off track here... back to my first album < tada >

Electric Warrior - wonderful stuff!!

Favorite track : Life's A Gas

I could have loved you girl
Like a planet
I could have chained your heart
To a star

But it really doesn't matter at all
No it really doesn't matter at all
Life's a gas,
I hope it's gonna last

Yay hiya Songbird, have been wondering how you're doing!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:55 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Yay hiya Songbird, have been wondering how you're doing!
Hey up Sweetie!

Well I'm back .. alive and kicking, female hormone deprivation will do that to you amongst other things! ( you don't want to know about the increase growth in facial hair - tweezers have become my new best friend! TMI? )

Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Hey up Sweetie!

Well I'm back .. alive and kicking, female hormone deprivation will do that to you amongst other things! ( you don't want to know about the increase growth in facial hair - tweezers have become my new best friend! TMI? )

Oh I've got that anyway with advancing age

Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:16 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

TMI? )
Er yes. Nice to see you back and hear you are doing well.

I like the Christmas hat still btw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.