British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fireworks....against my better judgement! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fireworks-against-my-better-judgement-646902/)

lisa67 Jan 1st 2010 3:20 pm

Fireworks....against my better judgement!

So against my better judgement I let my OH buy the kids some fireworks to see in the New Year!
I didn't realise exactly what he'd bought ( a huge box of mortar type things) until they started letting them off.
All was going well with my teenage son and one of his friends handling them very sensibly. Then just after midnight they decided to let the rest of them off and my OH (who by this stage had had several drinks!) decided to go and "help".
I was in the kitchen when their was a huge explosion and one of the plastic mortar tubes smashed through the kitchen window, missed me by cms and landed at the other side of the hallway.:ohmy:
Glass everywhere....F*ing fireworks.
Hope your New Year's went with a bang! (rant over!!):curse:

sime303 Jan 1st 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Fireworks....against my better judgement!

I am coming to yours for the next New Years Eve.

traceym Jan 1st 2010 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 8210842)
So against my better judgement I let my OH buy the kids some fireworks to see in the New Year!
I didn't realise exactly what he'd bought ( a huge box of mortar type things) until they started letting them off.
All was going well with my teenage son and one of his friends handling them very sensibly. Then just after midnight they decided to let the rest of them off and my OH (who by this stage had had several drinks!) decided to go and "help".
I was in the kitchen when their was a huge explosion and one of the plastic mortar tubes smashed through the kitchen window, missed me by cms and landed at the other side of the hallway.:ohmy:

:rofl:

scrubbedexpat097 Jan 1st 2010 4:18 pm

:eek:..........I think you must still be feeling the trauma from this and I prescribe at least a day of pampering from your OH:sneaky:

joto Jan 1st 2010 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 8210938)
:eek:..........I think you must still be feeling the trauma from this and I prescribe at least a day of pampering from your OH:sneaky:

And a few drinks to help with the shock.:drinkwine::drinkwine::drinkwine:

AmerLisa Jan 1st 2010 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by sime303 (Post 8210899)
I am coming to yours for the next New Years Eve.

lol, no kidding! :D

Happy New Year!

penguinsix Jan 1st 2010 5:36 pm

When I lived in Indiana you could buy basically anything up to an RPG. It was a bit crazy on the 4th of July--kind of like Beirut.

Toward the end of the evening, after we had run out of matches, lighters, and expended all the gas in a butane torch (using it to light the fireworks) we decided to stuff everything in a grill, soak it in lighter fluid, and run like hell. We had stuff coming out of there for about 20 minutes in all different directions.

Oh the fun of law school.

lisa67 Jan 1st 2010 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 8210938)

oh yeah...he owes me big time!!! Still finding shards of glass despite sweeping twice and hoovering twice!:sneaky:

nettlebed Jan 1st 2010 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 8210980)
lol, no kidding! :D

Happy New Year!

Me too! And I'm bringing a couple of Claymores!

Steerpike Jan 2nd 2010 6:31 am

We took the easy route - drove for 6 hours from Phoenix to Las Vegas, checked into a hotel, had a nice dinner (Emeril's at MGM Grand - not bad), then fought with about 300,000 people on the strip in 40 degree weather to watch the 7 minute fireworks extravaganza ... then spent another 45 minutes getting back to our hotel through all the barricades and people.

The fireworks were pretty spectacular, and the atmosphere overall pretty cool. But the best part was the drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas - great scenery for the entire journey. Worst part - way too many drunk people!

Today we took in a Cirque du Soleil show, and tomorrow it's the drive back - will probably go a different route.

lisa67 Jan 2nd 2010 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 8212224)
We took the easy route - drove for 6 hours from Phoenix to Las Vegas, checked into a hotel, had a nice dinner (Emeril's at MGM Grand - not bad), then fought with about 300,000 people on the strip in 40 degree weather to watch the 7 minute fireworks extravaganza ... then spent another 45 minutes getting back to our hotel through all the barricades and people.

The fireworks were pretty spectacular, and the atmosphere overall pretty cool. But the best part was the drive from Phoenix to Las Vegas - great scenery for the entire journey. Worst part - way too many drunk people!

Today we took in a Cirque du Soleil show, and tomorrow it's the drive back - will probably go a different route.

all in all it'll probably work out cheaper than what it's going to cost me to replace a 2x4 ft tinted, double glazed window!!! :unsure:;)

Tarkak9 Jan 2nd 2010 1:43 pm

a party isn't a party until something gets broken!!

Still, lucky they didn't think about making a creamer/sawdust cannon afterwards....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

lisa67 Jan 2nd 2010 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tarkak9 (Post 8212840)
a party isn't a party until something gets broken!!

Still, lucky they didn't think about making a creamer/sawdust cannon afterwards....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRw4ZRqmxOc

:ohmy::ohmy: