Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Firearms License / US Vs Uk Culture

Firearms License / US Vs Uk Culture

Old Jul 17th 2003, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough
Default Firearms License / US Vs Uk Culture

I'm just wondering if I am the only one who thinks this is unnecessary and plain frightening.

My Sister (USC) has recently been through a hard time with her Ex-Husband. They were in court recently battling it all out. My Sister's lawyer advised her to keep a 'Mace Pepper Spray' handy and applied for a firearms interview for her at the local police station. She went along and got approved, and now plans to have a key ring mace and a big can for her bag. She could even have a gun if she wanted to! (How could she be approved??? She has a psychiatric history and in the past, has attempted suicide!!!!)
This scares me A LOT! but when I asked her to 'please be more British and just put a 'screamer alarm' in her bag, or a tin of everyday hairspray', she would not even consider alternative options and turned it around to make me out to be the odd one!!!
I really don't think this kind of thing is helpful at all and in my opinion, if someone ever felt that indangered, they could protect themselves in less violent ways - what's stopping an attacker from stealing a 'mace key chain' (that will probably be on show), and using it on the owner?
Also, I have a child, what if he 'came across it' and decided to investigate? This is the only part of the US culture that would stop me from moving to the USA. How do others feel about this?
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Firearms License / US Vs Uk Culture

I agree... let her have a screamer alarm and next time her ex-husband is battering her to death the noise will drown out her screams... Terrible the culture that allows people to protect themselves... Tony Martin would not be jailed in this culture.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by ray6
I agree... let her have a screamer alarm and next time her ex-husband is battering her to death the noise will drown out her screams... Terrible the culture that allows people to protect themselves... Tony Martin would not be jailed in this culture.

That is a disgusting assumption. Her ex husband has not acted violently towards her in the 19 years they've known each other - the battle was one of finance, custody and property. You shouldn't jump to conclusions.
I do not know who Tony Martin is so I don't know what you are getting at, therefore I can't comment.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:52 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Tony Martin was the guy who was jailed because he shot two burglars who broke into his house while he was asleep. One of them died and now the remaining burglar is suing Tony Martin for lost earnings, even though he has never had a job!!!

I think the US is just so different in that respect. The UK has retained some of its innocence, but the US seems to choose guns as a first resort. I find it frightening too, but if you live in a gun culture, I suppose guns are the best defence. I'm not condoing it, and I don't agree with it, but I'm trying to understand it.

By the way, I don't think Tony Martin should have been jailed.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 5:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever
That is a disgusting assumption. Her ex husband has not acted violently towards her in the 19 years they've known each other - the battle was one of finance, custody and property. You shouldn't jump to conclusions.
I do not know who Tony Martin is so I don't know what you are getting at, therefore I can't comment.
If there was no violence, why would her lawyer suggest defensive weapon..and why do you suggest she has a screamer, you inference was clearly the relationship was violent.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 6:07 pm
Ray

Originally posted by whatever
you do write crap then ...from a previous posting you say

"My sister is our sponsor and she is under immense pressure at the moment - she is in court today because her ex husband has been abusing her and her children. I am waiting to hear how it went and whether she has managed to get the restraining order extended"

restraining orders are not about people who disagree with one another
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

It always makes me laugh when I read about Americans who sleep with a gun under the pillow. Because I am sure when an intruder bursts through the door and you're waking up from a deep sleep, that you'll be able to find your target in the dark lol. I'm sure I read a stat a while back that reported more people get shot by their own weapons in their home, than actually shoot the intruder.

The right to bear arms was a wonderful law when Billy the Kidd and wyatt Earp(sp) roamed the wild wild west. I'll take my chances without a gun thanks.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

If there was no violence, why would her lawyer suggest defensive weapon..and why do you suggest she has a screamer, you inference was clearly the relationship was violent.

Okay so to clarify, after their divorce the property belonged to both him and her but as she was awarded custody, she was allowed to live in the house with the children until they both reach 18. He would not leave, he did not have a job and was behaving like a bum. She got a restraining order to have him removed. He has been told (in court yesterday) that he has no right to walk into the house whenever he wants and on that understanding the restraining order will not be extended. She said she wanted a mace to 'blind him' if he ever attempted to enter the house again without her permission. I think she is just angry. I am worried that if she had a mace and aimed it at him, she would be confronting him so what's stopping him from taking it off her and spraying it her way instead? Weapons and angry people don't go well together.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

you do write crap then ...from a previous posting you say

"My sister is our sponsor and she is under immense pressure at the moment - she is in court today because her ex husband has been abusing her and her children. I am waiting to hear how it went and whether she has managed to get the restraining order extended"

restraining orders are not about people who disagree with one another
Ray 6, do you not realise there is more than one kind of abuse?????? What about mental?? Did i say physical or violent abuse ANYWHERE on that post???? Did I??? Take another look. Mental abuse is Far worse because no one can see the bruises it leaves inside the victim and the long term affect it has!!!
Why are you so agressive towards me on this subject? I just wanted to know what other people thought and there you are digging out my previous posts to try to make a point and put me down??? What is your problem exactly??
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Tony Martin was the guy who was jailed because he shot two burglars who broke into his house while he was asleep. One of them died and now the remaining burglar is suing Tony Martin for lost earnings, even though he has never had a job!!!

I think the US is just so different in that respect. The UK has retained some of its innocence, but the US seems to choose guns as a first resort. I find it frightening too, but if you live in a gun culture, I suppose guns are the best defence. I'm not condoing it, and I don't agree with it, but I'm trying to understand it.

By the way, I don't think Tony Martin should have been jailed.
Thanks for explaining I don't think he should have gone to jail either.... (as long as that's okay for me to think that RAY6??)
Old Jul 17th 2003, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Pimpbot
It always makes me laugh when I read about Americans who sleep with a gun under the pillow. Because I am sure when an intruder bursts through the door and you're waking up from a deep sleep, that you'll be able to find your target in the dark lol. I'm sure I read a stat a while back that reported more people get shot by their own weapons in their home, than actually shoot the intruder.

The right to bear arms was a wonderful law when Billy the Kidd and wyatt Earp(sp) roamed the wild wild west. I'll take my chances without a gun thanks.

Here Here!!! But watch out Pimpbot - Ray6 is no doubt, at this very moment digging through the archives and scanning all your previous posts and trying to find something that contradicts what you have just said LOL
Bless him.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Tony Martin was jailed for murdering a 16 year old child . He shot the youth in the back twice. I agree they were in the wrong breaking in to his house, but two wrongs do not make a right. The police charged him with being a child killer, and he deserved life from the evidence presented.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:22 pm
Ray

[QUOTE What is your problem exactly?? [/QUOTE]

My problem is with the stupid english people who want to come here and then dictate the terms and condition of how things are done over here...You will have a real hard time when you live here if you don't accept the way things are done here.. there are things I don't like here, but I certainly would not criticise (except the BCIS, they are fair game...) Be anti-gun if you wish, I have no problem with that...And as for your point about mental Cruelty, I totally agree, Only having about 15 years experience in that field, Believe me when I tell you, that in most cases mental cruelty will end up in violence, especially when the aggressor start to fail in their pattern of victim control.. Your choice by your sister of carrying oleoresin capsicum spray, would suggest she is scared for herself. but as least if the aggressor uses it on her, it is not usually considered a deadly weapon and recovery in usually in 45 minutes..At least I have got your dander up for a while..and it took your mind of your own problems for a short time...
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Tony Martin was jailed for murdering a 16 year old child . He shot the youth in the back twice. I agree they were in the wrong breaking in to his house, but two wrongs do not make a right. The police charged him with being a child killer, and he deserved life from the evidence presented.

Terribly unfortunate circumstances, it's just tragic - no-one wins.
Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

The Tony Martin case was unfortunate, but he is no more a hero than the two scumbags who broke into his farm house. The only things that are out of order in this case, is the burgler who made it out of the house, although with injuries, taking court action against Martin, despite being a career criminal pikey scum and also the fact that they didnt release Martin when he was first up for parole because they said he was a danger to society and they couldnt be sure for his safety, as the pikey community has put a price on his head. The only people who were in danger from Tony Martin, were the people who kept trying to rob him on his own property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.