Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fingerprinting when arriving?

Fingerprinting when arriving?

Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

croesx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fingerprinting when arriving?

Originally posted by effi
I guess it takes one to know one, isn't it past your bedtime?

Ah, so you can agree on something!!!! You can dish but can't take. I don't believe in being passive aggressive, I just tell you what I think, baby...

Old Dec 4th 2003, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course it bothers me, it should bother everyone in this country. Unfortunately in this country you have to be careful nowadays about raising your voice. Most of the time though it does no good. Example. Bush was here in AZ I think it was last week. Protestors gathered and were moved over a quarter of a mile away from the venue. Bush could neither see nor hear them. What good did they do? This is the type of thing that is going on.

Sorry but I don't get the last sentence you wrote, who don't I like? The only person I said I did not like was Bush, is that wrong in your opinion? I also think the phrase "if you don't like it here, then go home" is perfectly reasonable. You are not going to change anything unless Bush gets voted out next year and someone more reasonable gets in. That is a big if though isn't it, after what he did last time, who is to say it will not happen again.
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. What I meant was that "go home" is usually used by rather narrow-minded people and/or people who are on the border between being patriotic/nationalistic. I'm not implying by anyway that you belong in either group, as you were clearly quoting people who use that phrase. I see from most of you postings that you don't like what's going on. We just disagree on a) taking it silent vs. opposing b) is there anything you/we can do.
So, if you want Bush removed from office, than apply for you citizenship and make a difference by voting. You have the chance. I don't - so all I can do is open declare my criticism. You can not hide behind "my vote wouldn't make a difference". That doesn't work! The basis of democracy, that you and I advocate, depends on exercising your democratic rights.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:28 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bookworm
.......So, if you want Bush removed from office, than apply for you citizenship and make a difference by voting. .....
You seem to imply that this is the only way to make a difference or remove Bush from office. Why do you think this? Having one vote among 200 million (estimate) can be far less effective than having one voice...... so I think we should be encouraging people to use their voices (regardless of their immigration status), rather than telling them to go home.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough. What I meant was that "go home" is usually used by rather narrow-minded people and/or people who are on the border between being patriotic/nationalistic. I'm not implying by anyway that you belong in either group, as you were clearly quoting people who use that phrase. I see from most of you postings that you don't like what's going on. We just disagree on a) taking it silent vs. opposing b) is there anything you/we can do.
So, if you want Bush removed from office, than apply for you citizenship and make a difference by voting. You have the chance. I don't - so all I can do is open declare my criticism. You can not hide behind "my vote wouldn't make a difference". That doesn't work! The basis of democracy, that you and I advocate, depends on exercising your democratic rights.
Maybe I will do it next year. Got nothing to lose I guess, and yes maybe my vote will make a difference.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Maybe I will do it next year. Got nothing to lose I guess, and yes maybe my vote will make a difference.
awesome!!!!! I'm sorry about the c.nt remark, that was low of me, I apologize.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dunroving
You seem to imply that this is the only way to make a difference or remove Bush from office. Why do you think this? Having one vote among 200 million (estimate) can be far less effective than having one voice...... so I think we should be encouraging people to use their voices (regardless of their immigration status), rather than telling them to go home.
Sorry to butt in, but the way things are going in this country, the voices are not being heard either. When protestors are being kept a distance away to render their protest meaningless, how can you get the point across? I watched Sean Penn on 60 minutes last nite and he said that because he spoke out about the war, he was being labeled unpatriotic. This seems to be the new "buzz word" at the moment. No one wants to be labeled as unpatriotic, they just want to have their say. Unfortunately they are being shot down all over the place.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by croesx
Ah, so you can agree on something!!!! You can dish but can't take. I don't believe in being passive aggressive, I just tell you what I think, baby...

So do I "baby", and I am telling you once and for all, it is past your bed time.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

So do I "baby", and I am telling you once and for all, it is past your bed time.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by croesx
awesome!!!!! I'm sorry about the c.nt remark, that was low of me, I apologize.
I should think so too, apology accepted.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 1:06 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to butt in, but the way things are going in this country, the voices are not being heard either. When protestors are being kept a distance away to render their protest meaningless, how can you get the point across? I watched Sean Penn on 60 minutes last nite and he said that because he spoke out about the war, he was being labeled unpatriotic. This seems to be the new "buzz word" at the moment. No one wants to be labeled as unpatriotic, they just want to have their say. Unfortunately they are being shot down all over the place.
Sorry to butt in? What are you sorry about?

Certainly, speaking out can get you "in trouble" and doesn't always literally get heard by those for whom it was intended. However, the fact that you are aware of the issues you mention illustrates my point - the publicity associated with speaking out can be a powerful tool, and affect the votes of many. So, their protest was not "meaningless" (despite the fact they were kept out of earshot from the people their protest was aimed at) if it is broadcast over the airwaves and affects voters.

On the other hand, not only will you get just one vote, it will only count as one vote. And no one else's vote will be affected by your vote.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dunroving
Sorry to butt in? What are you sorry about?

Certainly, speaking out can get you "in trouble" and doesn't always literally get heard by those for whom it was intended. However, the fact that you are aware of the issues you mention illustrates my point - the publicity associated with speaking out can be a powerful tool, and affect the votes of many. So, their protest was not "meaningless" (despite the fact they were kept out of earshot from the people their protest was aimed at) if it is broadcast over the airwaves and affects voters.

On the other hand, not only will you get just one vote, it will only count as one vote. And no one else's vote will be affected by your vote.
C'mon! You don't really want to imply that you have to make a choice between voting and voicing. That's ridiculous! You can do both and you know that.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

You were fingerprinted for your visa application??? I wasn't.
I was fingerprinted when I adjusted my status from K1 to permanent resident in Jan 2003... another reason I don't really care if I am fingerprinted every time I re-enter the US... they have my prints anyway.

Ash
Old Dec 5th 2003, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

No sweetie, I did not miss the point, and I never jump to conclusions if I can help it. As you stated, you have almost all of the rights of an American citizen, but you are not one are you? So, I say again, what gives you the right to critisize the way things are done in this country? Please don't get me wrong, I hate Bush and everything he stands for. A president who proclaims that he was put into office by God has got to have a few screws loose. As for Ashcroft, well, he is a religous zealot. The fact remains though that he was voted in, therefore what he does in regard to policies in this country is on the behalf of the people who voted for him, he is their voice. By voting for him the US public gave him the right to do things on their behalf. I also still believe that if I had voted for him (by the way I was not eligible at the time) it still would have made no difference. Look at the thousands of people who did vote, only to have their votes thrown out. All the people on this board want to be here in the US, including me. Why is it though that once people move to this country and discover it is not the land of opportunity they thought it was going to be, that they all start whining about what a raw deal they are getting. To answer the original posting, yes I agree with being fingerprinted if I am not a US subject. What is so bad about it, you have all been fingerprinted for your applications to be here, did you whine about it when you were down the INS office applying, or refuse to do it, I think not. Respect my opinion, just as I respect yours and stop acting like a 5 year old who has had his toys taken away from him.

Excuse me lady- you were the one peeing everyone off telling them to go home and that THEY don't have an opinion- you have respected no-one's opinion. That was what people were objecting to---That was the point. You're right don't jump to conclusions- you leap to them...I'm a her not a him BTW...I rest my case.
I have every right to an opinion and every right to voice it where I choose- paying taxes and everything I do in the community I live in gives me that right- now toddle off and go bake some mince pies or something (there we are I can get personal, like you, too).
Oh and Happy Christmas- we agree on one thing at least Bush is a Moron- unfortunately he is a very powerful one and we will have no freedoms left by the time he's finished. Big Brother isn't coming- he's already here. You'd better hope plenty of us whine loud enough- to stop some of this gross invasion of privacy (we are now all open to) and I don't mean fingerprinting, because complacent people aint going to notice till they've all gone, sunshine.

you seem to insist that I'm angry? I'm actually laughing ..okay. I don't get angry over message boards LOL.

Last edited by Taffyles; Dec 5th 2003 at 5:21 am.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Duncs
I looked at the DHS info and it seems to apply to visitors so i would hazard a guess that perm residents would not be treated the same. Wont know until someone goes through after jan 1st.

Still doesnt change the point about expressing your opinion in the USA. My wife will tell you you could never shut me up anyhow.

Taffyles. sorry to hear about your relative.

regards,

Duncan

Thanks Duncs- it was many,many years ago now.. Thank you for all you did towards the Peace Process!! We need more people like you in this country, so hurry up and get qualified
Old Dec 5th 2003, 1:03 pm
Ping-ponger

C'mon! You don't really want to imply that you have to make a choice between voting and voicing. That's ridiculous! You can do both and you know that.
What you inferred was not what I implied. I'm not sure what part of my posting led you to think I was saying you have to choose one or the other. If you go back and read through my posts, I think you'll realize that.

Both voting and voicing opinion are valid means of "having your say". My point is that voicing your opinion has the potential of carrying more weight (depends who you are, what your forum is, what opinion you're voicing and how you voice it, etc., etc., etc.). So we shouldn't be discouraging people from voicing their opinions (again, see the earlier posts I was responding to, and I think you'll see my point). My point was that a single voice has the potential for having a greater effect than a single vote....

Last edited by dunroving; Dec 5th 2003 at 1:27 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.