Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fingerprinting when arriving?

Fingerprinting when arriving?

Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fingerprinting when arriving?

Originally posted by Taffyles
A relative of mine was murdered by the IRA, but I still value my freedom and privacy and that of my children and grandchild (who is a born American). Emigrating may mean leaving "your" country behind but since when did it include leaving your brain and becoming a mindless sheep? If we are to integrate into American society we should all be concerned by events around us and what is happening in the country, or are we supposed to opt out of society? Living here isn't a holiday- we are LIVING here. As permanent residents who have almost all the rights of US citizens- of course we have a right to criticize- especially on this forum for British ex-pats, because we can't do that in the workplace (as I said before). You speak like we're all asylum seekers coming in from a war torn or politically oppressed country who should be eternally grateful to the US for taking us in, or something.
Jeeze I had ex-pat friends when living in UK and I never once told them to go home when they criticised the country, I'm glad to say. In fact their opinions usually offered a unique perspective. They were working, raising families, paying taxes and contributing to the system, they had every right to voice their opinion.

BTW my blood pressure is never raised - its always bang on normal- must be all the tea I drink. And I'm very popular with my co-workers- they love my accent You were so busy leaping to conclusions you missed da point!
No sweetie, I did not miss the point, and I never jump to conclusions if I can help it. As you stated, you have almost all of the rights of an American citizen, but you are not one are you? So, I say again, what gives you the right to critisize the way things are done in this country? Please don't get me wrong, I hate Bush and everything he stands for. A president who proclaims that he was put into office by God has got to have a few screws loose. As for Ashcroft, well, he is a religous zealot. The fact remains though that he was voted in, therefore what he does in regard to policies in this country is on the behalf of the people who voted for him, he is their voice. By voting for him the US public gave him the right to do things on their behalf. I also still believe that if I had voted for him (by the way I was not eligible at the time) it still would have made no difference. Look at the thousands of people who did vote, only to have their votes thrown out. All the people on this board want to be here in the US, including me. Why is it though that once people move to this country and discover it is not the land of opportunity they thought it was going to be, that they all start whining about what a raw deal they are getting. To answer the original posting, yes I agree with being fingerprinted if I am not a US subject. What is so bad about it, you have all been fingerprinted for your applications to be here, did you whine about it when you were down the INS office applying, or refuse to do it, I think not. Respect my opinion, just as I respect yours and stop acting like a 5 year old who has had his toys taken away from him.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Duncs
I looked at the DHS info and it seems to apply to visitors so i would hazard a guess that perm residents would not be treated the same. Wont know until someone goes through after jan 1st.

Still doesnt change the point about expressing your opinion in the USA. My wife will tell you you could never shut me up anyhow.

Taffyles. sorry to hear about your relative.

regards,

Duncan
Also, you will never shut me up either. If I disagree with something you say, then I am going to come back in your face. Like I said, everyone is entitled to their opinion, if you don't like mine then put me on your ignore list, easy innit.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:00 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by JerseyBoy
Wow - you really are hostile to Bush aren't you? Just out of interest, do you favor the Democrats (if you don't mind me asking) or do you see them as all as bad as each other?
Yes he's an embarrasment to the Presidency. I am a big admirer of USA history and the constitution so it angers me to see someone like him just wiping his feet on it.

I like Howard Dean for his straight(ish)talking thing but i dont belive he has a good chance to win in the key states like Michigan, Tennessee, Arkansas, Ohio, Florida etc. He's too northern and to upper class(the whole Andover Yale thing gets buried by Bush under his pretend Texas heritage but for Dean the St George's Yale thing will make him unattractive to 'guys with confederate flags on their trucks.' personally i think Gen Clark is the best option. He negates the Republican advantage on Defence (war record medal in Vietnam vs AWOL from Texas national guard) he has a limited record in politics, so less stuff to dig up to contradict his campaign statements, he is fiercely intelligent(top of class at West Point, Rhodes Scholar), i was very impressed by his interview on 60 minutes with Dan Rather when he was clearly genuinely moved by the pictures of war crimes in Bosnia/Kosovo and he just looks Presidential. Unfortunately his campaign team in Arkansas dont seem very focussed yet and seem like a bunch of kids to me, brilliant kids but still kids, politics is not just book smarts. But i might be bitter having volunteered to work for his campaign HQ(for free) and been given the blow off by them, even though i probably have more experience than most of them.

does that answer your query. i can rant on Bush all day by the way. my wife will vouch for that.

regards,

Duncan

Last edited by Duncs; Dec 4th 2003 at 4:03 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by effi
......, you have all been fingerprinted for your applications to be here, did you whine about it when you were down the INS office applying, or refuse to do it, I think not.
You were fingerprinted for your visa application??? I wasn't.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:15 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Why am I so annoying to you, is it because I don't agree with what you say? Are you the only one who is right? Remind me when you eventually find employment not to hire you as a lawyer. You have a major chip on your shoulder. Get over the fact that things went tits up for you in Ireland. All a lot of people can see is "gotta get over there", they don't do their homework, just turn up and expect everyone to fall all over themselves because of the UK qualifications they purport to have. Well as you found out, the qualifications you had in UK mean shit here, and why should they? You do have TV in Ireland I presume, you must have had some idea of the policies of this country, you obviously don't like them, so why did you come? Also, no, I am not Sparkster, I check my spelling.
what do you mean purport? i have an LL.B(hons) an LL.M a Certficate of Professional Legal Studies and i am a Barrister. But for the umpteenth ****ing time i was more than aware that my qualifications were no good here that is why i had already taken the Law school admissions test(LSAT) and made arrangements to apply to law colleges before i even arrived. My degrees will hopefully get me into Law School but i know after that i need to start again and i am.

I dont have a chip on my shoulder but i do argue vociferously for those things in which i believe, freedom being one of them.

I dont like the polices in the USA right now on lots of issues and i intend to exercise my democratic right to argue against them. As long as i agitate peacefully for change what wrong with that? i am not about to stay away from the USA because i cant agree with all its govt policies. i came here becuase my wife is American by the way and she doesnt like the policies either but where would you suggest she 'goes home' to?

By the way if you wouldnt hire a lawyer who was agressive in defending their point of view, then you must have had some pretty shit lawyers in your time.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Duncs
what do you mean purport? i have an LL.B(hons) an LL.M a Certficate of Professional Legal Studies and i am a Barrister. But for the umpteenth ****ing time i was more than aware that my qualifications were no good here that is why i had already taken the Law school admissions test(LSAT) and made arrangements to apply to law colleges before i even arrived. My degrees will hopefully get me into Law School but i know after that i need to start again and i am.

I dont have a chip on my shoulder but i do argue vociferously for those things in which i believe, freedom being one of them.

I dont like the polices in the USA right now on lots of issues and i intend to exercise my democratic right to argue against them. As long as i agitate peacefully for change what wrong with that? i am not about to stay away from the USA because i cant agree with all its govt policies. i came here becuase my wife is American by the way and she doesnt like the policies either but where would you suggest she 'goes home' to?

By the way if you wouldnt hire a lawyer who was agressive in defending their point of view, then you must have had some pretty shit lawyers in your time.

regards,

Duncan
First off, don't get so excited, it makes the bad language come out, very juvenile. Secondly, luckily I have never needed to hire a lawyer and hope I never need to.

I also do not agree with the policies in this country, I think they suck big time. The only piece of advice I would give you is be careful in expressing your opinions, especially to Americans. A lot of them feel the same as us, but the majority of them are fiercely patriotic. If you are seen to oppose what the moron and his cronies are doing you are labeled as being unpatriotic, and whether you like it or not, big brother is watching you.

I guess I have come to the conclusion that you and I will never agree on either politics or religion. That is ok, you are entitled to your opinion just as I am. I am what is commonly known in the UK as a 'gobshite", I have an opinion on everything and everyone and am not afraid to express it, but in this day and age you have to think before you speak sometimes. I hate political correctness, I think it is the biggest bunch of bullshit ever. I also have no time for idiots, just cannot be bothered by them.

I am sure if we were to meet, you would probably like me, most people do, I am funny, opinionated (as you know), extremely generous to the point where I will give away my last penny if I think it will help someone. I have a son the same age as you and one little 18 month old grandson who I would fight to the death for. The fact though that my opinion differs from yours does not make me a bad person, so personal attacks are really not called for. Let's just agree to disagree, but I am sure we shall come across each other on this forum many times. If you are ever in AZ, look me up, I will even put you up for the nite and give you a beer.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

croesx is an unknown quantity at this point

No sweetie, I did not miss the point, and I never jump to conclusions if I can help it. As you stated, you have almost all of the rights of an American citizen, but you are not one are you? So, I say again, what gives you the right to critisize the way things are done in this country? Please don't get me wrong, I hate Bush and everything he stands for. A president who proclaims that he was put into office by God has got to have a few screws loose. As for Ashcroft, well, he is a religous zealot. The fact remains though that he was voted in, therefore what he does in regard to policies in this country is on the behalf of the people who voted for him, he is their voice. By voting for him the US public gave him the right to do things on their behalf. I also still believe that if I had voted for him (by the way I was not eligible at the time) it still would have made no difference. Look at the thousands of people who did vote, only to have their votes thrown out. All the people on this board want to be here in the US, including me. Why is it though that once people move to this country and discover it is not the land of opportunity they thought it was going to be, that they all start whining about what a raw deal they are getting. To answer the original posting, yes I agree with being fingerprinted if I am not a US subject. What is so bad about it, you have all been fingerprinted for your applications to be here, did you whine about it when you were down the INS office applying, or refuse to do it, I think not. (wow, this must be one of the most stupid retorts I have ever heard.) Respect my opinion, just as I respect yours and stop acting like a 5 year old who has had his toys taken away from him.
After having read this thread it became clear to me that you are a very old passive-aggressive patronizing person who is not quite clear on her own position whether a non-U.S. Citizen is allowed to criticize or not. You have stated that you are a green card holder and in your remarks quoted above you clearly criticize the president and ashcroft (both of whom I despise).

"I am not a US citizen, just a greencard holder like many on this board. I don't like the way things are going in this country any more than you seem to, but it is not my country."

In the above statement there clearly is a criticism on how the USA is governed given the context of this thread.

"If you don't like the policies in this country then the phrase "go home" seems perfectly reasonable to me." (whatever......)

"Still though it does not give non US citizens the right to get in their faces and point out what is wrong with their country." (??????????)

"After the last debaucle they called an election, do you really think my vote would have made a difference. The retard was going to get in no matter what. Still though it does not give non US citizens the right to get in their faces and point out what is wrong with their country." (You criticized the electoral process of 2000 in those statements you made: that means you criticized how things are done here at some point in your green card tenure.... Do you still think non-citizens should not voice their opionion?)

"The fact though that my opinion differs from yours does not make me a bad person, so personal attacks are really not called for."(You've made yourself guilty of attacking personally yourself throughout this thread, so stop acting like a 80-year old who hasn't gotten some in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!)

"What is so bad about it, you have all been fingerprinted for your applications to be here, did you whine about it when you were down the INS office applying, or refuse to do it, I think not. " (stupid retort)

Last edited by croesx; Dec 4th 2003 at 9:55 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point

.... I also do not agree with the policies in this country, I think they suck big time. The only piece of advice I would give you is be careful in expressing your opinions, especially to Americans. A lot of them feel the same as us, but the majority of them are fiercely patriotic. If you are seen to oppose what the moron and his cronies are doing you are labeled as being unpatriotic, and whether you like it or not, big brother is watching you.
So, it looks to me as if you have some issues as well. The very fact that you say yourself that some opinions are better not expressed these days and critique being labeled as "unpatriotic" and "big brother is watching you" - that doesn't bother you? One of the biggest democratic countries in the world and people should be careful what they say out loud? I think that is very much troublesome. I have to agree with Duncan, although I wouldn't use the same language, it is our duty as people who believe in democracy to raise our voice and point that out. Because, there is an underlaying danger in being quite. Once a government takes steps to infringe on rights of individuals than where is it going to stop?
And excuse me, but "go home" is an argument I do not buy. Because it doesn't address the problem and is usually used by people you don't like either (as I understood from parts of your comments).
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by croesx
After having read this thread it became clear to me that you are a very old passive-aggressive patronizing person who is not quite clear on her own position whether a non-U.S. Citizen is allowed to criticize or not. You have stated that you are a green card holder and in your remarks quoted above you clearly criticize the president and ashcroft (both of whom I despise).

Ok so I am old, not very old, unless you consider 51 to be very old, so what does that have to do with anything, does it stop me from having an opinion? I am neither passive-aggressive nor patronizing, and sorry don't quite get where you are going with the last sentence, can you explain it a bit better.

"I am not a US citizen, just a greencard holder like many on this board. I don't like the way things are going in this country any more than you seem to, but it is not my country."

In the above statement there clearly is a criticism on how the USA is governed given the context of this thread.

Yeah, so what is your point?

"If you don't like the policies in this country then the phrase "go home" seems perfectly reasonable to me." (whatever......)

"Still though it does not give non US citizens the right to get in their faces and point out what is wrong with their country." (??????????)

"After the last debaucle they called an election, do you really think my vote would have made a difference. The retard was going to get in no matter what. Still though it does not give non US citizens the right to get in their faces and point out what is wrong with their country." (You criticized the electoral process of 2000 in those statements you made: that means you criticized how things are done here at some point in your green card tenure.... Do you still think non-citizens should not voice their opionion?)

I have had my green card for almost 6 years, that means it was a bit before 2000 that I received it, am I right? As for non citizens not voicing their opinion, I think that in these times you need to be careful who you go giving your opinion to.

"The fact though that my opinion differs from yours does not make me a bad person, so personal attacks are really not called for."(You've made yourself guilty of attacking personally yourself throughout this thread, so stop acting like a 80-year old who hasn't gotten some in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!)

Grow up.

"What is so bad about it, you have all been fingerprinted for your applications to be here, did you whine about it when you were down the INS office applying, or refuse to do it, I think not. " (stupid retort)
Why pray is this remark stupid? Can you expand on that remark?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Why pray is this remark stupid? Can you expand on that remark?

the last remark, or one of, or all of the ones you made?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Bookworm
So, it looks to me as if you have some issues as well. The very fact that you say yourself that some opinions are better not expressed these days and critique being labeled as "unpatriotic" and "big brother is watching you" - that doesn't bother you? One of the biggest democratic countries in the world and people should be careful what they say out loud? I think that is very much troublesome. I have to agree with Duncan, although I wouldn't use the same language, it is our duty as people who believe in democracy to raise our voice and point that out. Because, there is an underlaying danger in being quite. Once a government takes steps to infringe on rights of individuals than where is it going to stop?
And excuse me, but "go home" is an argument I do not buy. Because it doesn't address the problem and is usually used by people you don't like either (as I understood from parts of your comments).
Of course it bothers me, it should bother everyone in this country. Unfortunately in this country you have to be careful nowadays about raising your voice. Most of the time though it does no good. Example. Bush was here in AZ I think it was last week. Protestors gathered and were moved over a quarter of a mile away from the venue. Bush could neither see nor hear them. What good did they do? This is the type of thing that is going on.

Sorry but I don't get the last sentence you wrote, who don't I like? The only person I said I did not like was Bush, is that wrong in your opinion? I also think the phrase "if you don't like it here, then go home" is perfectly reasonable. You are not going to change anything unless Bush gets voted out next year and someone more reasonable gets in. That is a big if though isn't it, after what he did last time, who is to say it will not happen again.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

After re-reading your reply, I am convinced that you are a prize prick!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

the last remark, or one of, or all of the ones you made?
Never mind, I don't want to confuse you any more than you appear to be.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Never mind, I don't want to confuse you any more than you appear to be.
Thank you, Sweetie, how thoughtful, you seem to excell in being a C.NT!!!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thank you, Sweetie, how thoughtful, you seem to excell in being a C.NT!!!!!!
I guess it takes one to know one, isn't it past your bedtime?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.