Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fingerprinting when arriving?

Fingerprinting when arriving?

Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fingerprinting when arriving?

Originally posted by effi
.... If you have nothing to hide then why worry about it.
Why I have something against it? Probably where I come from this is strongly associated with being a suspect. I don't like being treated as one if the only "reason" is that I'm not a US citizen.

And to your question what's so great about becoming a citizen: living in a country for many years and apparently planning on staying (as it sounds in your case) and not taking part in the country's political course looks to me like a very poor thing to do. Voting is one of the most important rights in a democracy. Waving them is for me not taking one's democratic responsibilities seriously.

I don't want to attack you, but I really think you should reconsider your choice. It doesn't mean that you have to give up your old citizenship (most European countries allow now dual citizenships).
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

I think that you will find when you eventually get a job that the Americans do not appreciate you airing your views on their countries policies, president etc. especially if you are not a citizen.
On the contrary, I have found that many Americans are very critical of their country's policies, president etc, and are fine with you airing your views, even when they do not agree.

Mind you, I'm in San Jose, California, where, despite electing the Governator, the people are pretty open-minded and tolerant. Your mileage may vary in Dogshit, Arkansas.

Cheers,

Pat
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:58 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

[i]Originally posted by effi [/iWhat is so great about becoming a citizen by the way?
You get to vote for one thing. You get to express your opinion without being told to go home. You cant be arrested by the FBI and held indefinately without being informed of why or actually charged with any specific offence, or getting to see a lawyer, or come before a judge, purely on the say so of the Attorney General for in his (subjective)belief associating with terrorists.

by the way i have under the rules associated with terrorists when as a unionist i helped negotiate the Good Friday agreement(in a very small way).

those seem like good reasons to me,

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Bookworm
Why I have something against it? Probably where I come from this is strongly associated with being a suspect. I don't like being treated as one if the only "reason" is that I'm not a US citizen.

And to your question what's so great about becoming a citizen: living in a country for many years and apparently planning on staying (as it sounds in your case) and not taking part in the country's political course looks to me like a very poor thing to do. Voting is one of the most important rights in a democracy. Waving them is for me not taking one's democratic responsibilities seriously.

I don't want to attack you, but I really think you should reconsider your choice. It doesn't mean that you have to give up your old citizenship (most European countries allow now dual citizenships).
I know sweetie, my husband is a dual national. After the last debaucle they called an election, do you really think my vote would have made a difference. The retard was going to get in no matter what. Still though it does not give non US citizens the right to get in their faces and point out what is wrong with their country. Would you do the same thing in other parts of the world? I think not.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Duncs
You get to vote for one thing. You get to express your opinion without being told to go home. You cant be arrested by the FBI and held indefinately without being informed of why or actually charged with any specific offence, or getting to see a lawyer, or come before a judge, purely on the say so of the Attorney General for in his (subjective)belief associating with terrorists.

by the way i have under the rules associated with terrorists when as a unionist i helped negotiate the Good Friday agreement(in a very small way).

those seem like good reasons to me,

regards,

Duncan
Like I said before, write to John Ashcroft and tell him you are not happy. I am just a mild mannered grandma who has seen first hand what terrorism can do (IRA). Whatever measures can be taken to keep these people out of the US, then I say, "go for it".
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:15 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

do you really think my vote would have made a difference.
You are really getting quite annoying now aren't you?

By the way the fundemental principles of freedom are not subject to my national background.

But hey maybe things would be better if before crossing the Delaware and winning the battle of Trenton Washington had said 'i got a letter here from some fella Thomas Paine in england but hey hes not an american so we are not interested in his views.'

i am not trying to be rude but you are getting frustrating, you are not called sparkster are you?

regards,

Duncan

Last edited by Duncs; Dec 4th 2003 at 4:18 am.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:18 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

who has seen first hand what terrorism can do (IRA).
Me too on lots of occasions and it just reinforces my zeal in defending freedom for all regardless of national origins.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

I know sweetie, my husband is a dual national. After the last debaucle they called an election, do you really think my vote would have made a difference. The retard was going to get in no matter what. Still though it does not give non US citizens the right to get in their faces and point out what is wrong with their country. Would you do the same thing in other parts of the world? I think not.
We'll never know - maybe you and a some more who didn't vote or didn't register or what ever might have made a difference. A different president might have handled the situation and the legitimate security concerns in a more subtle and nuanced way. Anyhow, re-elections are coming up....
By the way, I lived in so many different countries, both as a child and as an adult, I had to submit the countries on a separate paper when I filed for my visa because it didn't fit in the space provided on the form... The US is just the last on my list So, I think I do have a right to have an opinion on a law that treats me as suspected criminal. Not for anything I've done but simply for something I am.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:23 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bookworm
I just heard from a friend that the US immegration takes fingerprints from all non-US citizens returning to the US starting from 1st of January. Is that correct? I was chocked when I heard that. I'm going back to NY in January and want to be prepared what to expect on the airport.
Not that immegration officers are polite in the first place, but that might blow me off.
But not if you are on a visa waiver... take a photo too

http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/interap...orial_0333.xml
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said before, write to John Ashcroft and tell him you are not happy. I am just a mild mannered grandma who has seen first hand what terrorism can do (IRA). Whatever measures can be taken to keep these people out of the US, then I say, "go for it".

A relative of mine was murdered by the IRA, but I still value my freedom and privacy and that of my children and grandchild (who is a born American). Emigrating may mean leaving "your" country behind but since when did it include leaving your brain and becoming a mindless sheep? If we are to integrate into American society we should all be concerned by events around us and what is happening in the country, or are we supposed to opt out of society? Living here isn't a holiday- we are LIVING here. As permanent residents who have almost all the rights of US citizens- of course we have a right to criticize- especially on this forum for British ex-pats, because we can't do that in the workplace (as I said before). You speak like we're all asylum seekers coming in from a war torn or politically oppressed country who should be eternally grateful to the US for taking us in, or something.
Jeeze I had ex-pat friends when living in UK and I never once told them to go home when they criticised the country, I'm glad to say. In fact their opinions usually offered a unique perspective. They were working, raising families, paying taxes and contributing to the system, they had every right to voice their opinion.

BTW my blood pressure is never raised - its always bang on normal- must be all the tea I drink. And I'm very popular with my co-workers- they love my accent You were so busy leaping to conclusions you missed da point!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 4:57 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

I looked at the DHS info and it seems to apply to visitors so i would hazard a guess that perm residents would not be treated the same. Wont know until someone goes through after jan 1st.

Still doesnt change the point about expressing your opinion in the USA. My wife will tell you you could never shut me up anyhow.

Taffyles. sorry to hear about your relative.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 4th 2003, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

I looked at the DHS info and it seems to apply to visitors so i would hazard a guess that perm residents would not be treated the same. Wont know until someone goes through after jan 1st.

Still doesnt change the point about expressing your opinion in the USA. My wife will tell you you could never shut me up anyhow.

Taffyles. sorry to hear about your relative.

regards,

Duncan

I checked it out too. I'm confused. I'm going end of December and am coming back middle of January. So, I will know for sure. I just wanted to be prepared so I don't blow of steam at the border. Immegration officers here seem to be recruited on the basis "who is the most rude". It actually reminds me a lot of things I remember from Eastern Europe and what I experienced recently by going to those parts of the world, like Ukraine. The parallel was striking.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 6:07 am
Only the Strong Survive

JerseyBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

(p.s. (9/11 might equally have been prevented if President Bush or VP Cheney had acted on the warning in July from CIA head George Tenet that terrorists might try to hijack planes to use as weapons. Instead he took the longest single holiday in presidential history. But hey lets blame the foreigners the good ole boys will vote for that right!!)
Wow - you really are hostile to Bush aren't you? Just out of interest, do you favor the Democrats (if you don't mind me asking) or do you see them as all as bad as each other?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

You are really getting quite annoying now aren't you?

By the way the fundemental principles of freedom are not subject to my national background.

But hey maybe things would be better if before crossing the Delaware and winning the battle of Trenton Washington had said 'i got a letter here from some fella Thomas Paine in england but hey hes not an american so we are not interested in his views.'

i am not trying to be rude but you are getting frustrating, you are not called sparkster are you?

regards,

Duncan
Why am I so annoying to you, is it because I don't agree with what you say? Are you the only one who is right? Remind me when you eventually find employment not to hire you as a lawyer. You have a major chip on your shoulder. Get over the fact that things went tits up for you in Ireland. All a lot of people can see is "gotta get over there", they don't do their homework, just turn up and expect everyone to fall all over themselves because of the UK qualifications they purport to have. Well as you found out, the qualifications you had in UK mean shit here, and why should they? You do have TV in Ireland I presume, you must have had some idea of the policies of this country, you obviously don't like them, so why did you come? Also, no, I am not Sparkster, I check my spelling.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Me too on lots of occasions and it just reinforces my zeal in defending freedom for all regardless of national origins.

regards,

Duncan
I agree, so then why are you so opposed to being fingerprinted if you are not a US subject? If this in some small way helps to keep these people out of this country, then like I said before, I am all for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.