Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fingerprinting when arriving?

Fingerprinting when arriving?

Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Bookworm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fingerprinting when arriving?

I just heard from a friend that the US immegration takes fingerprints from all non-US citizens returning to the US starting from 1st of January. Is that correct? I was chocked when I heard that. I'm going back to NY in January and want to be prepared what to expect on the airport.
Not that immegration officers are polite in the first place, but that might blow me off.

Last edited by Bookworm; Dec 4th 2003 at 12:38 am.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fingerprinting when arriving?

Originally posted by Bookworm
I just heard from a friend that the US immegration takes fingerprints from all non-US citizens returning to the US starting from 1st of January. Is that correct? I was chocked when I heard that. I'm going back to NY in January and want to be prepared what to expect on the airport.
Not that immegration officers are polite in the first place, but that might blow me off.
If that is true, then I think it is a good idea. Should have been instituted a long time ago, maybe 9/11 would never have happened.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Kinda wierd they would do that with permanent residents when they already have your finger prints on file... oh well I don't have a problem with it... I have nothing to hide and besides if it helps prevent something like 9/11 it is in a good cause.

Ash
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by effi
If that is true, then I think it is a good idea. Should have been instituted a long time ago, maybe 9/11 would never have happened.
Think again, its only required for non-US citizens. Half of the pilots on 9/11 also had US passports. Their fingerprints wouldn't have been taken...
And, whatever happened to civil liberties and infringement of personal rights? In most countries you need a court order or you need to be arrested under the suspicion of having committed a crime. I don't know yet, if this is really true, but if it is than I think it is just another piece of evidence that the USA is going down a very dangerous road...
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Think again, its only required for non-US citizens. Half of the pilots on 9/11 also had US passports. Their fingerprints wouldn't have been taken...
And, whatever happened to civil liberties and infringement of personal rights? In most countries you need a court order or you need to be arrested under the suspicion of having committed a crime. I don't know yet, if this is really true, but if it is than I think it is just another piece of evidence that the USA is going down a very dangerous road...
Like I said, if it is true, then it is a good idea. Civil liberties, what are they? They do not exist in this country anymore, but then again, this is not the UK. If you want to stay here then abide by the rules, no matter how dumb you think they may be, if you don't want to then go home, simple really.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:54 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Like I said, if it is true, then it is a good idea. Civil liberties, what are they? They do not exist in this country anymore, but then again, this is not the UK. If you want to stay here then abide by the rules, no matter how dumb you think they may be, if you don't want to then go home, simple really.
'We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.'

Doesnt ring any bells with you then?

I cant beat what was said before:

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary saftey, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Ben Franklin

and

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."
-- James Madison, Speech in the Virginia Convention; June 16, 1788

You might do well to think about some of this yourself because one day when they finish with the immigrants they will come for the US Citizens.

regards,

Duncan

(p.s. (9/11 might equally have been prevented if President Bush or VP Cheney had acted on the warning in July from CIA head George Tenet that terrorists might try to hijack planes to use as weapons. Instead he took the longest single holiday in presidential history. But hey lets blame the foreigners the good ole boys will vote for that right!!)

Last edited by Duncs; Dec 4th 2003 at 3:07 am.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Duncs
'We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.'

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary saftey, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Ben Franklin

and

"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."

You might do well to think about some of this yourself becuase one day when they finsh with the immigrants they will come for US Citizens.

regards,

Duncan

(p.s. (9/11 might equally have been prevented if President Bush or VP Cheney had acted on the warning of july from CIA head George Tenet that terrorists might try to hijack planes to use as weapons. instead he took the longest single Holdiay in presidential history. But hey lets blame the foreigners the good ole boys will vote for that right!!)
Go ask the same question to John Ashcroft!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

--Ben Franklin

and

You might do well to think about some of this yourself because one day when they finish with the immigrants they will come for the US Citizens.

regards,

Duncan

(p.s. (9/11 might equally have been prevented if President Bush or VP Cheney had acted on the warning in July from CIA head George Tenet that terrorists might try to hijack planes to use as weapons. Instead he took the longest single holiday in presidential history. But hey lets blame the foreigners the good ole boys will vote for that right!!)
Duncs
I am not a US citizen, just a greencard holder like many on this board. I don't like the way things are going in this country any more than you seem to, but it is not my country. However I enjoy living here, have done for the past 15 years, so until I decide to become a US citizen and have the right to vote I feel that I don't have the right to run them down at every opportunity. Like I said before, if people do not like the policies in this country, then go home.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:20 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Duncs
I am not a US citizen, just a greencard holder like many on this board. I don't like the way things are going in this country any more than you seem to, but it is not my country. However I enjoy living here, have done for the past 15 years, so until I decide to become a US citizen and have the right to vote I feel that I don't have the right to run them down at every opportunity. Like I said before, if people do not like the policies in this country, then go home.
I am not a US citizen YET but i dont believe in abrogating civic responsibilty just because i am not a local. If i am to pay taxes then i will have my say until such times as i get my chance to vote. If its wrong then say so your visa status has bugger all to do with it. Oh i would have said something about the jews but i wasnt a german citizen, that would be a good excuse then?

If your here 15 years why not become a citizen? i have the date marked on my calender when i am eligible and i will be filing my papers 90 days prior to that as i am entitled.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

Simple? Maybe for you. What about all the those Americans who are concerned as well about were this country is heading? Where do they go? It's really simple to say everytime "Go home if you don't like it" instead to think what the infringements of civil rights mean in the long run.
Since 9/11 more civil liberties were step by step dismantled by this government than ever before. Not only that this is humiliating for visitors and temporary residents to this country it has an impact on every US citizens as well.
But, go put your head in the sand and feel that "you have nothing to hide".

What exactly do you think the registration of fingerprints and humiliating question at the airport would have done to prevent terrorists on coming, staying here for years, getting an education, taking a pilot license and than highjacking the planes? That is exactly the problem with that kind of terrorism - they strike, killing themselves so there won't be a "previous" record that could have stopped them at the border...
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Simple? Maybe for you. What about all the those Americans who are concerned as well about were this country is heading? Where do they go? It's really simple to say everytime "Go home if you don't like it" instead to think what the infringements of civil rights mean in the long run.
Since 9/11 more civil liberties were step by step dismantled by this government than ever before. Not only that this is humiliating for visitors and temporary residents to this country it has an impact on every US citizens as well.
But, go put your head in the sand and feel that "you have nothing to hide".

What exactly do you think the registration of fingerprints and humiliating question at the airport would have done to prevent terrorists on coming, staying here for years, getting an education, taking a pilot license and than highjacking the planes? That is exactly the problem with that kind of terrorism - they strike, killing themselves so there won't be a "previous" record that could have stopped them at the border...
Geeze guys, enough already. Like I already said, I don't like it any more than you do. Duncs, you are so hostile. I am entitled to my opinion just the same as you right? I think that you will find when you eventually get a job that the Americans do not appreciate you airing your views on their countries policies, president etc. especially if you are not a citizen.

As far as the fingerprint thing. Well we shall never know now shall we if it would have prevented the 9/11 attack. If it had been instituted back when these people first came into the US to do their flight training then who knows. It is all speculation. America has always been so complacent about terrorism not happening here, they have changed their minds now though and I for one think it is ok. If you have nothing to hide then why worry about it.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:40 am
BE Enthusiast

I am not a US citizen YET but i dont believe in abrogating civic responsibilty just because i am not a local. If i am to pay taxes then i will have my say until such times as i get my chance to vote. If its wrong then say so your visa status has bugger all to do with it. Oh i would have said something about the jews but i wasnt a german citizen, that would be a good excuse then?

If your here 15 years why not become a citizen? i have the date marked on my calender when i am eligible and i will be filing my papers 90 days prior to that as i am entitled.

regards,

Duncan
Good for you, go for your citizenship. My husband did it a few months ago. I am in no hurry. My 5 years was up in March. The reason I did not do it before was I was not eligible. I was here on an A2 visa for 10 years , working for the British government. What is so great about becoming a citizen by the way?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I find that attitude scary! Ever read Orwell's '1984' Effie? Now there was a prophet if ever there was one- a bit out on the timing though.

Fingerprinting wouldn't have stopped 9-11 from happening. In addition to what Bookworm said two of the highjackers were here legally on student visas.

I agree with Duncs Ben Franklin said it perfectly.

Also, this is a place for British ex-pats to help one another and talk freely, something that is not possible for many of us in every day life, because we are given the same crap you just spouted, 'if you don't like it here go home,' if we dare to say anything other than praise about the US..... we pay our taxes, we contribute to society, we are all legal, law-abiding members of society -we have a right to our opinions!

Last edited by Taffyles; Dec 4th 2003 at 3:46 am.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:48 am
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Originally posted by effi If you have nothing to hide then why worry about it.
You just dont get it do you?

i am not trying to be hostile to you but i will not be putting my head in the sand and i dont care if Americans like it or dont. This is big place some might not like it, some will agree with me i will take my chances. those that respect democracy and free speech will have no problem. just the republicans that will bitch then i suppose!

i spent the last 10 years in Northern ireland where people tried to kill me(several times) for my opinions. do you really think a few small minded americans will stop me having an opinion(and expressing it forcefully)

regards,
Duncan

Last edited by Duncs; Dec 4th 2003 at 3:51 am.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Taffyles
I find that attitude scary! Ever read Orwell's '1984' Effie? Now there was a prophet if ever there was one- a bit out on the timing though.

Fingerprinting wouldn't have stopped 9-11 from happening. In addition to what Bookworm said two of the highjackers were here legally on student visas.

I agree with Duncs Ben Franklin said it perfectly.

Also, this is a place for British ex-pats to help one another and talk freely, something that is not possible for many of us in every day life, because we are given the same crap you just spouted, 'if you don't like it here go home'- we pay our taxes, we contribute to society, we are all legal, law-abiding members of society -we have a right to our opinions!
Sweetie, I try not to spout crap ok. Just like I told the other guy, I am entitled to my opinion the same as the next person. Now if you don't like what I have to say then put me on your ignore list, that way it will avoid your blood pressure getting too high. If you don't like the policies in this country then the phrase "go home" seems perfectly reasonable to me. You have obviously had experience of "spouting your opinion" to the citizenry of this country, you may be legal and paying taxes but you are not American. What right do you have to criticize.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.