Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finger trouble

Finger trouble

Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finger trouble

So I've got the immigrant visa interview in London later this week, and I know part of the process is having fingerprints taken electronically. The problem is, my left index finger has a sore or dry skin or something, more at the tip but also extending partly onto the pad. My GP has prescribed basic hydrocortisone but quite frankly I don't think he really knew, judging by the puzzled expression on his face. I've been researching this on the interweb and it seems common enough to find loads of threads of people talkiing about it but with no real solution. The majority have had it for years, even decades. I've "only" had it for 2-3 months now and trying all sorts of things of late, including wearing cut-off fingers of latex gloves overnight with cream to keep it moist. Don't laugh!

So what are my options? One of the consulate websites just says to reschedule your appointment if you have a sore or cut finger but that's the only real comment I've seen from a US government website. Rescheduling is pointless if it's never going to resolve.

Can a visa be denied simply because one out of ten fingerprints cannot be read? I'm not even sure if that's a rhetorical question as I suspect the answer.

I guess I should just go and hope for the best!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finger trouble

Pee on your hands. Seriously, urea in urine kills off certain fungi that can infect your skin. I was recommended it for dry skin on my feet and it cleared up in about a week or so later, after having it for a few months.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

It may depend on the guy running the scanner on the day. He may or may not take your prints, the computer may or may not accept them, you may or may not get an RFE to redo them.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Hydrocortisone (group VII) is the weakest of all topical steroids and is relatively useless but is the only one available over the counter. Topical steroids constrict the blood vessels which causes the infection to disappear.

I use Desonide cream (group VI) which works great for zits, rashes, itches, etc. which eliminates the infection within a day or two. However even though it is about 5x more powerful than hydrocortisone, it probably wouldn't be strong enough for infections on the hands since the skin thickness on the hands is very thick and the topical steroid needs to penetrate the skin to get to the blood vessels.

The following is a list of different topical steroids with group I being about 1000x more powerful than hydrocortisone.

http://dermatology.about.com/cs/medi...roidgroups.htm

Last edited by Michael; Feb 6th 2012 at 9:54 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Worse comes to worse, could always get a cigar cutter and go all Yakuza on the finger in question as they don't like to discriminate against the disabled

Anyway, if it's a temp thing, you'll probably be asked to reschedule, but if it's permanent, you might get away with it.

There was a thread some time around Thanksgiving I think with a similar question in the visa section, wasn't sure of the out come though as I don't think the person came back to update things.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:14 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

I remember that one. Wasn't it something like they had cut their finger the day before and were really worried but then all was fine? I'll do some searching, I hate not remembering things!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ut+finger+scan

Sorry, think this was the one I was thinking of so not the same

Last edited by Weeze; Feb 6th 2012 at 10:33 pm. Reason: Link
Old Feb 7th 2012, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
Pee on your hands. Seriously, urea in urine kills off certain fungi that can infect your skin. I was recommended it for dry skin on my feet and it cleared up in about a week or so later, after having it for a few months.
You just needed an excuse to wet yourself? Sorry, but yes that's a good point - you'd hear about sailors weeing over their shipmate's wounds to clean them. Might get some odd looks at the urinal though, and is this something you can wash off after a few seconds or do you need to go around smelling of wee?

Originally Posted by Michael
Hydrocortisone (group VII) is the weakest of all topical steroids and is relatively useless but is the only one available over the counter.
Yes, it's the "catch-all", virtual placebo of the "get better" creams.

Originally Posted by Bob
Worse comes to worse, could always get a cigar cutter and go all Yakuza on the finger in question as they don't like to discriminate against the disabled
It has crossed my mind!

Originally Posted by Weeze
I remember that one. Wasn't it something like they had cut their finger the day before and were really worried but then all was fine? I'll do some searching, I hate not remembering things!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ut+finger+scan

Sorry, think this was the one I was thinking of so not the same
That's at least a little reassuring.

Thanks all. I guess I should just slather the cream (and wee) and hope for the best! Oh, and drink lots of water apparently.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Yes, it's the "catch-all", virtual placebo of the "get better" creams.
Desonide cream is probably the most popular of all the prescription topical steroids. Many women go to the doctor and complain about rashes to get the prescription and then use it as a wrinkle remover on their face (apparently it works great). One of the side effects is that redness can occur if used too frequently but can normally be eliminated by just stop using it for several days.

One of the major concerns when used as a wrinkle remover is that it is suspected of possibly causing glaucoma if used near the eyes or on the eyelids.

Normally only topical steroids in group VII and VI are recommended for the face unless someone has severe conditions such as lupus.

Last edited by Michael; Feb 7th 2012 at 9:16 am.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I saw the title of the thread and immediately thought of former Canadian Prime Minister, Pierre Trudeau. Those who remember will know what I mean!

Ian
Old Feb 7th 2012, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

is this something you can wash off after a few seconds or do you need to go around smelling of wee?
I just did it in the shower, so it was probably only covered for a 30 seconds at best before I got fed up and washed it away before taking a proper shower.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Whatever I did, it worked! After a near 4 hour wait and a bit of a gruelling interview, the visa was approved thankfully.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever I did, it worked! After a near 4 hour wait and a bit of a gruelling interview, the visa was approved thankfully.
Congrats
Old Feb 11th 2012, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
Congrats
Thanks. After reading various other peoples' experiences, I really wasn't expecting an intense interrogation on the contents of my original petition, plus numerous questions that definitely weren't in the petition! Then he disappeared for what seemed an age - Googling, gone to get a coffee, toilet break, or what I don't know. Then came back and asked a few more questions and eventually said he was satisfied with my answers and that the visa was approved! To which my wife let out a stifled shriek and grinning we left shortly afterwards.

In the end it was my wife who had the most finger trouble, needing alcohol wipes, rub fingers together, and rub on forehead before the machine eventually read them.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. After reading various other peoples' experiences, I really wasn't expecting an intense interrogation on the contents of my original petition, plus numerous questions that definitely weren't in the petition! Then he disappeared for what seemed an age - Googling, gone to get a coffee, toilet break, or what I don't know. Then came back and asked a few more questions and eventually said he was satisfied with my answers and that the visa was approved! To which my wife let out a stifled shriek and grinning we left shortly afterwards.

In the end it was my wife who had the most finger trouble, needing alcohol wipes, rub fingers together, and rub on forehead before the machine eventually read them.
Well done GeoffM and family! The journey begins..