British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Fines (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/fines-747905/)

E3only Feb 9th 2012 3:04 am

Fines

hello,

unfortunately got cited today for speeding (1-15 over 65 mph) in contra costa county, california.

It's a huge pain not only because of the penalty but i assume it will tarnish my license record and increase my insurance (I am currently paying ridiculously high premium of nearly 600 for 6 months for one car one driver)

- where you i check up how much my fine will be (my research telling me $214)
- i heard there may be a way to pay the ticket and take a course so that it does not appear on my license

any help would be appreciated.

Havnfun Feb 9th 2012 3:20 am

Re: Fines

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9892095)
hello,

unfortunately got cited today for speeding (1-15 over 65 mph) in contra costa county, california.

It's a huge pain not only because of the penalty but i assume it will tarnish my license record and increase my insurance (I am currently paying ridiculously high premium of nearly 600 for 6 months for one car one driver)

- where you i check up how much my fine will be (my research telling me $214)
- i heard there may be a way to pay the ticket and take a course so that it does not appear on my license

any help would be appreciated.

You will get a notice in the mail telling you the amount of the fine. There will be two prices one with traffic school and one without.

If you pay the fine and take the traffic school course (can be done online) it will not be recorded on your license. You can only do this once every 18 months.

I have never had a speeding ticket but have a husband and son who both think they are race car drivers:eek:

We are in Orange County, CA so I am assuming it is the same where you are.

E3only Feb 9th 2012 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Havnfun (Post 9892110)
You will get a notice in the mail telling you the amount of the fine. There will be two prices one with traffic school and one without.

If you pay the fine and take the traffic school course (can be done online) it will not be recorded on your license. You can only do this once every 18 months.

I have never had a speeding ticket but have a husband and son who both think they are race car drivers:eek:

Thank you. I will have to wait for the ticket.

I did sweet talk but I didn't work. He was sure he was goin tO cite me.

E3only Feb 9th 2012 7:41 pm

quick question - is there a criteria for who qualifies for the driving school? Is 18 month the only criteria?

Bob Feb 9th 2012 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by E3only (Post 9893297)
quick question - is there a criteria for who qualifies for the driving school? Is 18 month the only criteria?

If the info isn't on the back of the ticket, which would be weird if it weren't, you'd probably find it on the DMV website at a guess.

Jerseygirl Feb 9th 2012 8:36 pm

I've read that engaging a lawyer to talk down your points is well worth the fee...as you save on insurance costs. Don't know if that's true 'cos I've never had a speeding fine. :angel:

Brigette Feb 9th 2012 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9893447)
I've read that engaging a lawyer to talk down your points is well worth the fee...as you save on insurance costs. Don't know if that's true 'cos I've never had a speeding fine. :angel:

I had a speeding ticket, and went to traffic school. Going to traffic school does not automatically erase the ticket from your driving record. I found out about this the hard way. It has to be expunged. A simple process but a separate one from going to traffic school. NOt sure if that is how it is done in California, but in my state, that's how it's done

Bob Feb 9th 2012 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9893447)

Depends on the state...and it's usually only to save you time from having to be there in person, but some states, such as ME, require you to appear in court even if you do have a lawyer, so less of a saving and if you do use a lawyer and lose, would end up with a bigger fine as well as costs than if you just paid up.

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 9th 2012 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 9893460)
I had a speeding ticket, and went to traffic school. Going to traffic school does not automatically erase the ticket from your driving record. I found out about this the hard way. It has to be expunged. A simple process but a separate one from going to traffic school. NOt sure if that is how it is done in California, but in my state, that's how it's done

In TX, you just have to send the certificate from the defensive driving school to the court your case was assigned to, within 90 days of the hearing date.

Michael Feb 9th 2012 9:00 pm

No. Certain violations cannot be erased by going to traffic school such as reckless driving.

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 9893460)

In California, you have to send in the paperwork because usually the school doesn't do that for you.

Poppy girl Feb 10th 2012 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Havnfun (Post 9892110)

YEP 100% Correct I got one last year, E3, just take the online traffic school and when done go to the court house which is stated on the citation and pay the fee, the online traffic school should submit it immediately but call the court house before you go to make sure they have got it their end...mine was in Calaveras county but all of CA is the same and IT IS wiped from your license for sure.

I used these guys http://simplefastfun.com/

Bob Feb 10th 2012 1:42 am

Originally Posted by Poppy girl (Post 9893771)

I used these guys http://simplefastfun.com/

And was it simple, fast and fun? :D

What's really scary, had a mate up in Maine have to do one of these classes and the person next to him as back for his 10th class...as he had lost his license 10 times for DUI's.

Heaven forbid they actually decide when enough might be enough and not give a license back :lol:

Brigette Feb 10th 2012 1:48 am

Maybe I am in the wrong state. It speeding ticket and subsequent traffic school showed up on a background check. Imagine how shocked I was because I thought it was taken off. When I indignantly called the court, I was told that it had to be expunged and that there was a separate paper work for that. They offered to waive the fee though, so ended up ok

Poppy girl Feb 10th 2012 1:55 am

Originally Posted by Brigette (Post 9893879)
Maybe I am in the wrong state. It speeding ticket and subsequent traffic school showed up on a background check. Imagine how shocked I was because I thought it was taken off. When I indignantly called the court, I was told that it had to be expunged and that there was a separate paper work for that. They offered to waive the fee though, so ended up ok

Move LOL.....my mate is a CHP officer he did a double check for me, I always like a 2nd opinion even though the court house told me it would not show up.
I also got done 2 years prior to that for a red light violation, same story different court house. ;)

Poppy girl Feb 10th 2012 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9893870)
And was it simple, fast and fun? :D

What's really scary, had a mate up in Maine have to do one of these classes and the person next to him as back for his 10th class...as he had lost his license 10 times for DUI's.

Heaven forbid they actually decide when enough might be enough and not give a license back :lol:

No it bloody wasn't I tried to cheat back fired on me and took 5hours LOL
The 1st time I went to traffic school it was boring, but met some nice folk, and had coffee and biscuits :)....but 8 hrs I think it was :(