Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Fined by the Inland Revenue

Fined by the Inland Revenue

Old May 5th 2005, 3:54 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fined by the Inland Revenue

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
If you were going to rent your house via a management company they would have had you agree that they would deduct tax at source. I seem to remember that the IR require management companies to deduct tax at source whenever a landlord is not resident in the UK. The landlord then has the bother of claiming back any tax overpaid at the end of each year.
Foreign residents who rent out their UK homes can fill in a IR form requesting that the management company need NOT deduct tax at source. Anyone who is in 'good standing' with HM Inspectors of Taxes should have no problem getting this approved.
Old May 5th 2005, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Foreign residents who rent out their UK homes can fill in a IR form requesting that the management company need NOT deduct tax at source. Anyone who is in 'good standing' with HM Inspectors of Taxes should have no problem getting this approved.
You're right ... seems like forever since I left the UK and I got muddled. If you don't have a management company collect your rent, the IR actually require the tenant to deduct tax from the rent due ... of course, the tenant or management company can only do this if they are aware that the landlord is no longer resident in the UK ... and only if the landlord has not been able to get the IR to approve payments without tax first being deducted at source.

Thankfully, this is one issue that Rockgirl doesn't even have to think about (she did not actually rent her property to any tenant) - but, I do think it is wrong that the IR should expect a tenant to start collecting tax for them. Employers are used to being unpaid tax collectors ... but tenants? After all, how many tenants would even realise that there might be a tax issue to deal with just because their landlord is not resident in the UK!
Old May 5th 2005, 6:29 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Actually, I think I know why they wrote to me now. Before I moved I was planning on renting out my home, and had to fill in a tax form letting them know that I might get some income from this. I never actually rented my house out in the end so I didn't get a penny. I don't mind paying the fine if I am in the wrong, I just don't want them to come along and tax me a sh*t load of money from the proceeds of my house!
If your tax liability (zero) is less than the penalty (£100) then the penalty is waived. So don't worry, file a zero return and they should go away.

a.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:08 pm
I love Marmite, she don't

franc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to beholdfranc111s is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I didn't say that she 'needed to pay the fine' ... what I said was that if Rockgirl was resident in the UK during the tax year 2003/2004 she would need to complete the tax return.

I don't think a polite 'pxss off' would be accepted ... and an 'address unknown' would prevent her from clearing up outstanding issues, i.e. having a clean slate ... and would also result in her not receiving any refund of tax overpaid that may be due to her!
I concur except if she knows she is in the right, and has no plans to go back in the next 5 years to live, the IR as such idiots, you'll get a strain trying to address the problem and in that case, a polite "go away" and "your wrong" and "I don't live here any more" would suffice - IMHO
Old May 5th 2005, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I called the Inland Revenue several times to explain that my hubby no longer had any income in the UK but they still kept sending him reminders about not returning his self assessment form. During this time he received letters saying he had overpaid one year then letters saying he'd underpaid another year and eventually he got a refund. In the end I managed to speak to a woman who was extremely friendly and chatty. We talked about life in America before tax was even mentioned. In the end she said "don't worry love I'll get it sorted" and she did. We got a letter 5 days later explaining that he will no longer receive any correspondence from the Inland Revenue but if he does return to the UK to inform them. So keep on calling until you speak to someone who understands what your talking about.
Old May 5th 2005, 12:33 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

A big thank you to everyone that posted...you've all been a great help. I was worrying about this but you've all shown me that it's just a formality and nothing to worry about at all. I shall call them as soon as I get a chance. That's what I love about this board...somebody always has a logical, helpful and practical answer. Bless you all!