Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding your comfort foods from the UK in the U.S.

Finding your comfort foods from the UK in the U.S.

Old Jan 14th 2004, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: London...But originally born, bred and raised in NY!!
NYState of Mind is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Finding your comfort foods from the UK in the U.S.

I have a very silly question to ask. I am an American married to a Belgian with an English heritage. Currently we live in London for the past two years and are in the process of going back home to NY!! I cannot wait as I am 8 weeks pregnant with no family here or friends really.

Even though he is Belgian he **LOVES** his Heinz baked beans with his steak and chips. I personally thing they are disgusting and volatile. I prefer my B & M bar-b-que baked beans back in the states. But that's just me

We were in NY for the holidays and he loves D'Agostino's Supermarket, and the Food Emporium. The quantity and quality of the food just amazed him. Couldn't believe the selection especially after 7 pm. He just loves the steaks, veggies and fruits. But one thing is missing his Heinz Baked Beans. I promised him I would search high and low for him to make sure we can get them. Are they available in the states? So far I haven't seen them in any supermarket where I live in NY yet.

For those who cannot do with out their beans on toast, etc. any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. As I'd like for him to be as comfortable as possible in NY/ U.S. Not like I felt in London. As it's a horrible feeling one that is very hard and very trying at times on a relationship.

Cheers to all..

Last edited by NYState of Mind; Jan 14th 2004 at 1:37 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:56 pm
Franklin

Default Re: Finding your comfort foods from the UK in the U.S.

Originally posted by NYState of Mind
I have a very silly question to ask. I am an American married to a Belgian with an English heritage. Currently we live in London for the past two years and are in the process of going back home to NY!! I cannot wait as I am 8 weeks pregnant with no family here or friends really.

Even though he is Belgian he **LOVES** his Heinz baked beans with his steak and chips. I personally thing they are disgusting and volatile. I prefer my B & M bar-b-que baked beans back in the states. But that's just me

We were in NY for the holidays and he loves D'Agostino's Supermarket, and the Food Emporium. The quantity and quality of the food just amazed him. Couldn't believe the selection especially after 7 pm. He just loves the steaks, veggies and fruits. But one thing is missing his Heinz Baked Beans. I promised him I would search high and low for him to make sure we can get them. Are they available in the states? So far I haven't seen them in any supermarket where I live in NY yet.

For those who cannot do with out their beans on toast, etc. any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. As I'd like for him to be as comfortable as possible in NY/ U.S. Not like I felt in London. As it's a horrible feeling one that is very hard and very trying at times on a relationship.

Cheers to all..
Getting a decent can of baked beans took a few tries ("they" put a funny piece of "pork" on top of the beans). Try "Bush Regular Beans", they might work as a substitute for Heinz Baked Beans.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Jan 14th 2004 at 3:00 pm.

Old Jan 14th 2004, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of places you can order them from. They will more than likely be more expensive and I am sure somebody more local to your area will be able to tell you where you can get them. But here is a place they can be ordered from http://www.britishgourmet.com/ and its just one of many places on the web for Brit food.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. That's great. Yeah, Bush Beans are another ones of my favorites besides B&M. I had my husband try them when we were in NY and he didn't like them.

I'll make a note of that website. Thanks.

Cheers.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 3:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

Cheers to all..
I think you should be me fortunate in the ability to buy British (or most imported) food products since you're moving to the New York area.

There's probably a handful of British or Irish specialty foodstores in the NY city/boroughs area. They'll be in the Yellow Pages or online (please conduct a search).

"World Market" is a good source for British tea, Heinz Baked Beans and British chocolate. However, when I've checked the choc is British branded but made overseas (Australia in most cases).

A cheaper source for Heinz Baked Beans could well be your neighborhood Indian grocery store. During my visits to such stores, their price for aforementioned beans is less than World Market. They sell other British foods and British products (but not such a great selection of foods as World Market).

Also, what does your husband think of the American take on a "Belgian waffle"?

NC Penguin
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:08 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I buy my Heinz baked beans from our local Meijer supermarket. They have a section there two isles long with world wide foods. I can get the beans for $1.56. Also Robinsons barley water, PG tips and quite a few other British things. They also have Chinese, Indian, Polish, Italian, German, Swedish and Spanish sections too. It's in the next town but well worth a trip for the baked beans. What is more they taste just like the ones back in UK. I don't know if they import them or not but they taste like the original to me!

Maggie

Cheers to all..
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers to all..

I'm assuming that you're going to be living in Manhatten?

There are a couple of places in Greenwich Village where he can go for his 'Brit Fix'! Of course, none of these places are inexpensive. I found some UK Heinz Baked Beans in a New Jersey supermarket yesterday at $1.85 each (the "King's" supermarket chain) along with some Marks & Spencer's tea bags - but I just think it's a one-off shipment for the Christmas period.

There is a traditional British Butcher's shop called "Myer's of Keswick". He can get proper sausages there, bacon, steak and kidney pies etc. There are also food items such as the HP and Heinz Baked Beans, tins of spaghetti in tomato sauce, Bird's custard powder etc.

Their website is:

http://www.myersofkeswick.com

Even better, in very close proximity is the authentic British chippie, "A Salt and Battery". Right next door to it is the twee English teashop, "Tea and Sympathy" which serves an afternoon tea with the three-tier cakstand with assorted sandwiches and cakes, with tea or coffee. It always seems to have a queue of people waiting for a table (it's not very spacious inside).

Next door is their British store selling lots of 'souvenirs' that you would find on Oxford Street. However, they also sell the Baked Beans, custard powders, orange squash, Cadbury's chocs, Easter eggs and Christmas selection boxes in season etc. etc.

Look here:

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com

http://www.asaltandbattery.com

There's also a chippie in Brooklyn somewhere but I can't remember what it's called (maybe they'll know at the Brit Consulate in NYC?).

Often if you're out and about in the Tri-State area, the larger chains of this supermarket - "Super Shop N Stop" often stocks British goods (eg. Jacob's Cream Crackers, Jaffa Cakes, Heinz Beans etc).

"Wholefoods" supermarket chain sometimes stocks the Heinz beans too, but it's hit and miss if they have them on the shelves when I go there. A great place for a curry is a little town called "Iselin" just off the Garden State Parkway in NJ, the same turning for the Metropark if you're going South. On Oak Tree Road there is a huge Indian expat community, even they call it "Little India". Some of them were merchants in Southall, London and bring in stuff like "Irn Bru", 'Lucozade', 'Vimto', Heinz Beans, 'Pears Soap' etc. etc. at very reasonable prices.

There is also a huge "International Food Mart" in Jersey City (near the PATH trains and Light Railway). They have food from all over the world and it's incredibly fresh and inexpensive. They have stuff from the UK and Ireland....and if you fancy some Red Kidney Bean or Sweetcorn Ice Cream manufactured by Wall's in the Philippines, then it's the place to find it!!!

Hope this helps!

Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by NC Penguin Also, what does your husband think of the American take on a "Belgian waffle"?

NC Penguin
Actually you know what I never really asked him since he never really eats Belgium waffles unless of course we're in Belgium. I can tell you what he thinks about the **french fry** though... Misconception is that they were invented in France when actually they originated in Belgium from what he tells me anyway..

Now that I think about it, where I am originally from outside of NYC there's a city near my town called Yonkers. There's a **huge** influx of Irish immigrants in the Yonkers area near McClean Avenue where there are numerous stores that import all loads of stuff. Thanks for the thought on that.

Cheers.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:27 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Heinz beans from World Market is your best bet, you can also get Heinz Tomato Soup.

If not, then try Heinz Premium Vegetarian Beans, most supermarkets stock them, they are practically the same as your regular British Heinz baked beans. Called "vegetarian" because Americans love to put meat and other stuff in their tinned baked beans, this line is meatless and is marketed as kosher!.
Attached Thumbnails Finding your comfort foods from the UK in the U.S.-hburj.jpg  
Old Jan 14th 2004, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Englishmum
I'm assuming that you're going to be living in Manhatten?

There are a couple of places in Greenwich Village where he can go for his 'Brit Fix'! Of course, none of these places are inexpensive. I found some UK Heinz Baked Beans in a New Jersey supermarket yesterday at $1.85 each (the "King's" supermarket chain) along with some Marks & Spencer's tea bags - but I just think it's a one-off shipment for the Christmas period.

There is a traditional British Butcher's shop called "Myer's of Keswick". He can get proper sausages there, bacon, steak and kidney pies etc. There are also food items such as the HP and Heinz Baked Beans, tins of spaghetti in tomato sauce, Bird's custard powder etc.

Their website is:

http://www.myersofkeswick.com

Even better, in very close proximity is the authentic British chippie, "A Salt and Battery". Right next door to it is the twee English teashop, "Tea and Sympathy" which serves an afternoon tea with the three-tier cakstand with assorted sandwiches and cakes, with tea or coffee. It always seems to have a queue of people waiting for a table (it's not very spacious inside).

Next door is their British store selling lots of 'souvenirs' that you would find on Oxford Street. However, they also sell the Baked Beans, custard powders, orange squash, Cadbury's chocs, Easter eggs and Christmas selection boxes in season etc. etc.

Look here:

http://www.teaandsympathynewyork.com

http://www.asaltandbattery.com

There's also a chippie in Brooklyn somewhere but I can't remember what it's called (maybe they'll know at the Brit Consulate in NYC?).

Often if you're out and about in the Tri-State area, the larger chains of this supermarket - "Super Shop N Stop" often stocks British goods (eg. Jacob's Cream Crackers, Jaffa Cakes, Heinz Beans etc).

"Wholefoods" supermarket chain sometimes stocks the Heinz beans too, but it's hit and miss if they have them on the shelves when I go there. A great place for a curry is a little town called "Iselin" just off the Garden State Parkway in NJ, the same turning for the Metropark if you're going South. On Oak Tree Road there is a huge Indian expat community, even they call it "Little India". Some of them were merchants in Southall, London and bring in stuff like "Irn Bru", 'Lucozade', 'Vimto', Heinz Beans, 'Pears Soap' etc. etc. at very reasonable prices.

There is also a huge "International Food Mart" in Jersey City (near the PATH trains and Light Railway). They have food from all over the world and it's incredibly fresh and inexpensive. They have stuff from the UK and Ireland....and if you fancy some Red Kidney Bean or Sweetcorn Ice Cream manufactured by Wall's in the Philippines, then it's the place to find it!!!

Hope this helps!

WOW sure does. Thank you. But the only thing he really wants is his beans and perhaps his jaffa cakes. Other than he's not too keen on british sausage. Likes Italian and American sausage much better.

If I can get him a lifetime supply of Heinz beans he'll be happier than a little piggy in his mud pile...

Everyone has been very helpful. Thank you. Our move won't be for about a couple of more months so I have some time to stock up while I'm fixing up the house in NY.
Old Jan 14th 2004, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

CaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really niceCaliforniaGroom is just really nice

I have a very silly question to ask. I am an American married to a Belgian with an English heritage.

Even though he is Belgian he **LOVES** his Heinz baked beans with his steak and chips.
Cost Plus World Market:

http://www.costplus.com/costplus/findstorelocation
Old Jan 14th 2004, 9:09 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales

If not, then try Heinz Premium Vegetarian Beans, most supermarkets stock them, they are practically the same as your regular British Heinz baked beans. Called "vegetarian" because Americans love to put meat and other stuff in their tinned baked beans, this line is meatless and is marketed as kosher!.
Nah, tried those myself and found them to be as sweet and unlikeable as all the other brands here.
Old Jan 19th 2004, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Britgrrl is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm American and my fiance British - and we're both quite lost without the UK style baked beans. I've tried all the American "vegetarian" styles and they still add the barbecue/honey flavor to them so they're nothing like the tomato flavored sort.

We're in upstate NY and I found them in the Wegman's supermarkets for $1.69 a can. I think you'll do just fine as long as you go to a huge supermarket that actually has a "world" food section. It's somewhat bizarre wandering through the "world" aisles and seeing Heinz beans, crumpets, Lucozade and Ambrosia custard, but I'm just glad they're there!

Good luck to you!
Old Jan 19th 2004, 8:46 pm
Essex Girl

helenw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Maggie

I am not sure what part of Chicago you are, but out in Elk Grove right near United Airlines HQ there is a large empty field with a large Meijer sign in it. So I am assuming they are going to build one there.

Me, I love Meijers! Better than Tesco anyday!

Originally posted by Maggs
Hello

I buy my Heinz baked beans from our local Meijer supermarket. They have a section there two isles long with world wide foods. I can get the beans for $1.56. Also Robinsons barley water, PG tips and quite a few other British things. They also have Chinese, Indian, Polish, Italian, German, Swedish and Spanish sections too. It's in the next town but well worth a trip for the baked beans. What is more they taste just like the ones back in UK. I don't know if they import them or not but they taste like the original to me!

Maggie
Old Jan 19th 2004, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

Durhams is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to the British store in Long Grove Chicago. Its called British Accents and they have a website and do shipping. The guy was really good and he said he could get anything I wanted as long as I didn't mind waiting 6 weeks!!!!

They had Christmas puddings, Mince Pies etc and said they would be getting some Cadburys Easter Eggs very soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.