Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding work in the USA

Finding work in the USA

Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Ilovepeas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work in the USA

Hi, I am currently a student in the UK and I will be graduating this year and would like to move to America with my boyfriend (also a student) for a year or perhaps longer in August.
At the moment we are just trying to find out if this is possible. We will both be wanting to work while we're out there but I contacted BUNAC (the people who organise jobs and placements) and they said it is impossible to just go to America and get a job independantly.
Is this really true? I can't see why it would be but perhaps I'm missing something?

Any advice would be massively appreciated.
Thanks
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:34 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work in the USA

Originally Posted by Ilovepeas
Hi, I am currently a student in the UK and I will be graduating this year and would like to move to America with my boyfriend (also a student) for a year or perhaps longer in August.
At the moment we are just trying to find out if this is possible. We will both be wanting to work while we're out there but I contacted BUNAC (the people who organise jobs and placements) and they said it is impossible to just go to America and get a job independantly.
Is this really true? I can't see why it would be but perhaps I'm missing something?

Thanks
I am in desperate need for someone to clean my office and take my virtual dog for walkies. Prime location (just behind the Alexandria Federal Courthouse where Zacarias Moussaoui is on trial for his life). Prime time to clean my office even if you will be knee deep in Federal Protective Service cops armed to the teeth and then some. Bomb sniffing dogs, crotch sniffing dogs ... even Blue Peter's Shep wants to sniff my garbage, so I need it moved from my office. Mosquito's are about to Queen break-free. Do you want the job? Can you handle the truth? Etc.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:37 pm
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

PS My office is not in Florida or sunny California ...
Old Mar 29th 2006, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

For you, BUNAC is right. Get 10-15 years of experience in the right field, get a few hundred grand and buy a business or invest a million or so, then you increase your chances to slim. Best you could do now is go on BUNACs work America program for 3 months in the summer.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by User Name
I am in desperate need for someone to clean my office and take my virtual dog for walkies. Prime location (just behind the Alexandria Federal Courthouse where Zacarias Moussaoui is on trial for his life). Prime time to clean my office even if you will be knee deep in Federal Protective Service cops armed to the teeth and then some. Bomb sniffing dogs, crotch sniffing dogs ... even Blue Peter's Shep wants to sniff my garbage, so I need it moved from my office. Mosquito's are about to Queen break-free. Do you want the job? Can you handle the truth? Etc.
Hey if an American isn't willing to do it......
Old Mar 29th 2006, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine came over to Boston back in December on a 12 month work visa (with the option to extend it to 18 months).

I think he fits into the "doing a job that Americans don't want to do category"... he's looking after mentally handicapped adults... (The perfect job for a person with a degree in Criminal Psychology )

I think it depends on if you want to use your qualifications or not. If you are just looking for an experience and a year away from home after graduating something like that might be an option (although cleaning User Names office might be preferable, and my basement could use a good once over as well).

He arranged his own interview, came over for it, got the job and then contacted the agency. His whole visa application took about three months from start to finish.

I don't know if he came over with BUNAC. I've just sent him an e-mail asking him to confirm how he got over here. I'll get back to you.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Junk the boyfriend and get one who is a USC.

Or possibly the Guest Worker programme, but if introduced there could be a bit of a queue.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking you should've given yourself the name, Ilovespam but just in case you're serious, have you seen this?

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/

Read it, digest and if you think you are eligible, post again.
Old Mar 29th 2006, 5:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Can have a look at internship programmes with J visa...but it depends on what your degree is, and tbh, without any experience, you'd be hard pressed to get anyone to bother sponsor you for an H1B...maybe if your qualified ski instructor you could get the seasonal version of the H1, the H2 I think, for the season...

But if you want to doss for a year, select another country.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:06 am
Account Closed

cabritpop is an unknown quantity at this point

Pull the other one it plays jingle bells
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Check out your Uni counsellors/Exchange people, they may be able to offer some advice???
You could possibly come & work as Camp councillors, maybe 3+ months, then I believe you can stay for several months after. I don't think a year.
Reg.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 11:41 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Don't do it. You can't get good peas in the States.
Old Mar 30th 2006, 2:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunroving
Don't do it. You can't get good peas in the States.
Thats a truism
Old Apr 1st 2006, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

sweeties_tweety is an unknown quantity at this point

If youre wanting to work in a field other than a summer camp, then BUNAC isnt possible for you (you have to be inbetween academic years to qualify for the working visa, and that visa is only for 3 months anyway) as youre going to be a graduate. It still doesnt count if youre going to do a postgrad degree afterwards as you have to be between academic years of a full time 3-4 year degree. If youre wanting to be a camp counsellor though this is still possible and I think your visa allows you to travel until the 1st October after your camp experience (though youre not eligible to work during this 'travelling' time).
If youre wanting to just travel then you could apply for a 6mth tourist visa, though if that fails youre still allowed to enter the states under the visa waiver program (you dont need to apply for this one) for 90 days.
Have you thought about going to canada for a year? You can live and work there for 12 mths through BUNAC on a student working visa (as your eligible for this as long as you travel in the same year youve graduated- then you can reapply after this for a 'under 35' visa, as anyone who is under the age of 35 is entitled to this visa. Just a thought mind as its near impossible to get someone to sponsor you for an American working visa (my boyfriend is a USC and were being 'forced into' marriage so that we can be together as theres no way I can get a work visa)
Good luck