British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Finding work once here? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/finding-work-once-here-718676/)

cdsw0901 May 28th 2011 4:22 am

Finding work once here?

HI everyone - new here! :-) My BF is planning on moving here next year (Boston area), but as he has a good job in the UK, he is very nervous about being able to find work once here. What has your experience been in getting gainful employment once here? I really really want him to come (not TOO selfish, eh?), so I'm hoping some others' experience might help convince him. Thank you in advance! :-)

Ash UK/US May 28th 2011 4:35 am

Re: Finding work once here?

A little more info please, He is your BF??? Will he be coming here on a K1? If not what visa will he be coming here on?

cdsw0901 May 28th 2011 5:01 am

Yes, boyfriend. :-) Haven't decided completely on which visa route to take, though we are leaning towards the IR-1/C-1 marriage visa...

Ash UK/US May 28th 2011 5:14 am

Originally Posted by cdsw0901 (Post 9392863)
Yes, boyfriend. :-) Haven't decided completely on which visa route to take, though we are leaning towards the IR-1/C-1 marriage visa...

What job does he currently do or what would he want to do when he arrives here... what educational background does he have?

cdsw0901 May 28th 2011 5:21 am

He currently works in security on the trains...CCTV. Unfortunately he has nothing more than high school education, which he is worried is really going to be a strike against him. He also has 10 years experience running a gift shop on the ferries, taking in millions of dollars each year and managing the staff, as well as managing a Blockbuster video store for a few years.

Peteusa May 28th 2011 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by cdsw0901 (Post 9392881)
He currently works in security on the trains...CCTV. Unfortunately he has nothing more than high school education, which he is worried is really going to be a strike against him. He also has 10 years experience running a gift shop on the ferries, taking in millions of dollars each year and managing the staff, as well as managing a Blockbuster video store for a few years.

I can only speak for Arizona, when I say - dont let him give up a good secure job in the UK until he can sort out employment here. Unemployment is at an all time high, and I understand its not so very much better throughout the entire US. Seriously, there are millions of people with similar or better CV's than he has, that just cant get work. Good luck though.

Pete

Bob May 28th 2011 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by cdsw0901 (Post 9392881)

he's going to struggle big time over here then...security work without military background will be tough, anything else with decent money and no degree with be tough too.

Also, he's got sod all US work experience which does work massively against you unless you're Irish and know someone in a bar in Boston.

Good chance to get a degree doing something, loads of great schools in the area, do something business related at Babson if he's had the management experience, should help him get in.

Derrygal May 28th 2011 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9394215)
he's going to struggle big time over here then...security work without military background will be tough, anything else with decent money and no degree with be tough too.

Also, he's got sod all US work experience which does work massively against you unless you're Irish and know someone in a bar in Boston.

Good chance to get a degree doing something, loads of great schools in the area, do something business related at Babson if he's had the management experience, should help him get in.

There are many Americans with college degrees (including graduate degrees) who are unemployed right now. It will be very difficult (probably close to impossible) for your boyfriend to get a decent paying job here. He would be a fool to give up his UK job.

meauxna May 28th 2011 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by cdsw0901 (Post 9392842)
HI everyone - new here! :-) My BF is planning on moving here next year (Boston area), but as he has a good job in the UK, he is very nervous about being able to find work once here. What has your experience been in getting gainful employment once here? I really really want him to come (not TOO selfish, eh?), so I'm hoping some others' experience might help convince him. Thank you in advance! :-)

I think you'd better get more specific about what type of work; the replies seem to be related to other types of employment? There's a couple of UK guys from here I can think of who went to work as booksellers, for example, and have been satisfied.

My husband has never really worked here (by agreement), and a lot of answers seem to assume that you wouldn't be OK on your income.

Your question is a little bit broad to answer., IWO.

cdsw0901 May 29th 2011 11:39 pm

Thanks for all the responses!

Yes, we would be okay financially without him working...not great, but we'd manage. He just doesn't want to be a "house husband" LOL! I like the idea of taking courses in a specific field when he gets here...I'll have to run that by him and see what he thinks! I know times are tough right now, but here in New England they seem to be improving ever so slightly, so I may be overly optimistic.. :-)

Thanks again! :-)