Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

finding Wensleydale (LA)

finding Wensleydale (LA)

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all
Default finding Wensleydale (LA)

Folks, having a craving. I'm Los Angeles based, trying to track down some plain Wensleydale cheese. I have expat friends in Seattle that get it in Whole Foods, and more in Connecticut that get it at Trader Joes. None of my local stores have it. Trader Joes has nothing, and Whole Foods only has it with cranberries. Yesterday I called 4 Whole Foods around the westside, and went to one in Santa Monica this morning that said it had it to find out they were mistaken. Popped into the Kings Head shop also, and they didn't have any.

Anyone in the LA area have a spot to get some Wensleydale??

I have two packets of Jacobs cream crackers that desperately need it.
thanks in advance,
Matt
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finding Wensleydale (LA)

I live in Marina Del Rey, I have bought Wensleydale from Trader Joes in Westchester and Vons in the Marina, the Vons store has a Deli that has a good selection of cheeses, Trader Joes can be a bit random
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

I just asked OH she said try Cost Plus World Market on Sepulveda and Rosecrans, they have a ton of Brit stuff, including McVities digestives, and even more Cream Crackers for you
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

thanks for the response - the Trader Joes - is that the Trader Joes Sepulveda & Manchester? That's our local TJ's also, but I've never seen it there - have you seen it recently?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

the Vons - do you mean the Pavilions just off Mindanao Way in the Marina?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 7:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmhendrie
Folks, having a craving. I'm Los Angeles based, trying to track down some plain Wensleydale cheese. I have expat friends in Seattle that get it in Whole Foods, and more in Connecticut that get it at Trader Joes. None of my local stores have it. Trader Joes has nothing, and Whole Foods only has it with cranberries. Yesterday I called 4 Whole Foods around the westside, and went to one in Santa Monica this morning that said it had it to find out they were mistaken. Popped into the Kings Head shop also, and they didn't have any.

Anyone in the LA area have a spot to get some Wensleydale??
I feel your pain! I'm in CT, but the stores here also carry versions with cranberries or melon/ginger, rather than the-original-is-still-the-greatest! Good luck with your search.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Wensleydale?

Old Feb 23rd 2016, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

We were in Yorkshire over Xmas and my 5yr old boy watched 'a close shave' - now, you say to him "I don't like cheese" he immediately responds with "not even Wensleydale?"

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

so my friend in CT that gets plain Wensleydale says they sell it at the Costco in Milford CT... 1718 Boston Post Road - no idea if that's close to you...
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

so my friend in CT that gets plain Wensleydale says they sell it at the Costco in Milford CT... 1718 Boston Post Road - no idea if that's close to you...
No, but perhaps I can ask my local Costco to stock it -- thanks for the tip!
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I feel your pain! I'm in CT, but the stores here also carry versions with cranberries or melon/ginger, rather than the-original-is-still-the-greatest! Good luck with your search.
Trader Joe's, can get it if you ask. Our local ones have it.

Boston Cheese Cellar

Don't know how close to the Boston area you are, but this place in Roslindale is run by a Brit and seems popular place to get a bunch of Brit cheeses.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

thanks for the response - the Trader Joes - is that the Trader Joes Sepulveda & Manchester? That's our local TJ's also, but I've never seen it there - have you seen it recently?
Yes but you pretty much need to check weekly, have a good rummage around in the cheese section!
And yes to Pavillions/Vons off Mindano
Where do you live?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

I'm in Ladera Heights - the Pavilions in the Marina would be perfect, that's 3 minutes down the 90 and I'm there! I'll go have a look-see tonight!

Originally Posted by dj6372
Yes but you pretty much need to check weekly, have a good rummage around in the cheese section!
And yes to Pavillions/Vons off Mindano
Where do you live?
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:49 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by Bob
Trader Joe's, can get it if you ask. Our local ones have it.

Boston Cheese Cellar

Don't know how close to the Boston area you are, but this place in Roslindale is run by a Brit and seems popular place to get a bunch of Brit cheeses.
I'm at the opposite end of CT from MA. There's a Trader Joe's about three-quarters of hour away, but I go in that direction about once a year, so next time . . . . A local British store did carry it, but every time I went there, they'd run out, and I basically gave up. It was also stupidly expensive! So I forget about it until a thread like this reminds me how good Wensleydale is!

MY OH is sometimes in the vicinity of the Milford store that was mentioned, so I'll ask him to check there -- my local Costco just has the varieties with foreign bodies.
Old Feb 23rd 2016, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

The Costco Milford store its 7oz for $4.89 - that's cheaper then the American crap!!

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm at the opposite end of CT from MA. There's a Trader Joe's about three-quarters of hour away, but I go in that direction about once a year, so next time . . . . A local British store did carry it, but every time I went there, they'd run out, and I basically gave up. It was also stupidly expensive! So I forget about it until a thread like this reminds me how good Wensleydale is!

MY OH is sometimes in the vicinity of the Milford store that was mentioned, so I'll ask him to check there -- my local Costco just has the varieties with foreign bodies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.