British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Finding UK Christmas Goodies in the US (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/finding-uk-christmas-goodies-us-772959/)

NatashaB Sep 27th 2012 3:56 pm

Finding UK Christmas Goodies in the US

OK, Christmas is coming up... so I thought I would steer the thread in a festive direction and get some ideas on where to track down festive foods! :) Where's the best/cheapest place to locate a Christmas pudding? I ordered a Matthew Walker one last year from Amazon and it was hideous :(

N1cky Sep 27th 2012 4:03 pm

Re: UK Foods in the US Share your finds!

Originally Posted by NatashaB (Post 10303159)
OK, Christmas is coming up... so I thought I would steer the thread in a festive direction and get some ideas on where to track down festive foods! :) Where's the best/cheapest place to locate a Christmas pudding? I ordered a Matthew Walker one last year from Amazon and it was hideous :(

This is a great idea, maybe we should a seperate thread for it though?

We got a fantastic Chistmas Pudding (as a gift) from Bettys in Harrogate last year, along with a iced Christmas cake. Both were fantastic, it wasn't cheap, but for a one off special treat for Christmas it's really worth it. I'll definately be ordering them this year.

Jerseygirl Sep 27th 2012 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 10303165)

We got a fantastic Chistmas Pudding (as a gift) from Bettys in Harrogate last year, along with a iced Christmas cake. Both were fantastic, it wasn't cheap, but for a one off special treat for Christmas it's really worth it. I'll definately be ordering them this year.

Good idea Nicky. Done...although I've titled it goodies not food...as locating Christmas crackers is a common question in the run up to Christmas. You can buy luxury crackers from Costco.

sir_eccles Sep 27th 2012 4:13 pm

Re: Finding UK Christmas Goodies in the US

a) It's still September, we have to get past Halloween and Thanksgiving first!

b) make your own.

N1cky Sep 27th 2012 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles (Post 10303180)
a) It's still September, we have to get past Halloween and Thanksgiving first!

b) make your own.

I made the mistake first year I was hear of thinking, I'll start after Thanksgiving. Then discovered the last post date was 3 days after TG

I can never find any currants

Nutek Sep 27th 2012 4:21 pm

I ended up getting stuff from Goodwoods last year.

Prices were ok (but not great), but the items were well packaged and the delivery was as promised.

http://www.goodwoods.com/christmas2012.aspx

N1cky Sep 27th 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky (Post 10303165)

Here's the link to Bettys

http://www.bettys.co.uk/

joto Sep 27th 2012 4:34 pm

I did find some Walkers mince pies, crackers and selection boxes in World Market last year. I guess there won't be any choccies there this year.

lisa67 Sep 27th 2012 4:38 pm

World market and TJMaxx usually has a plethora of British goodies....don't know if they're stocking them just yet.
Bought a massive tin of walkers shortbread from Costco yesterday :thumbsup:

Mummy in the foothills Sep 27th 2012 4:41 pm

Home Goods get the nice Christmas crackers in.
World Market had selection boxes and Advent calenders last year, but I wonder if they will this year as they were Cadbury.

Nutek Sep 27th 2012 4:47 pm

I suspect all my chocolate will have to be shipped here by my parents this year.

I hope this cadburys thing gets resolved.

GeoffM Sep 27th 2012 4:49 pm

Has anybody asked a British shop to import a job lot (and thus cheaper) on a promise to get enough people to exhaust the supply?

celticgrid Sep 27th 2012 4:53 pm

At a price....britsuperstore.com

Used them last year with mixed results, but if you need a wide range of sources, including M&S, they fit the bill.

Nutek Sep 27th 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by GeoffM (Post 10303229)
Has anybody asked a British shop to import a job lot (and thus cheaper) on a promise to get enough people to exhaust the supply?

I was wondering... Is it actually legal for them to sell it? I'm not sure how this really works.

GeoffM Sep 27th 2012 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Nutek (Post 10303238)
I was wondering... Is it actually legal for them to sell it? I'm not sure how this really works.

I don't really know - as long as it's not got any banned ingredients and relevant duties paid then maybe it's okay. Some imported things have a US-style nutrition label, some don't :confused:.