Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding A State-Based Executor To A Will!

Finding A State-Based Executor To A Will!

Old Nov 3rd 2015, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finding A State-Based Executor To A Will!

Hey all, it's been a long time. I haven't visited this site for nearly 4 years! Did ya miss me?

Quick update for those who care: We've now lived Stateside for 8 years and became US citizens 3 months ago, so we're definitely in it for the long haul! Contrary to what my profile says, we now live in Nashville, Tennessee, but are yet to embrace the music or the accent... yee haw.

Anyhoo, I've a question that's stumping me...

Hubs and I aren't getting any younger, so figured that it's high time we had our wills drawn up so that in the awful event either one of us went toes up, our daughter wouldn't be fighting the probate system for what's rightfully hers.

After a visit to our lawyer yesterday, she informed us that, yes, we can designate family members in the UK to be our main choice of executor or executrix of each of our wills, but legally, as we live over here, we also need to designate someone that's resident in Tennessee, who is contactable and can fill in the duties of an executor/trix over here if the Court fails to establish a connection with the person in England.

Having only lived in Tennessee for a year or so, neither hubs nor myself know anyone well enough that I'd even put them as emergency contacts on my daughter's school list, let alone be entrusted to sorting out our worldly funds should we both be squashed flat by one of Nashville country star's tour buses tomorrow!

Has anyone ever come across something similar to this? And if so, what did you do? I can't just pull a name out of a hat, and I'm not going to just knock on my neighbor's door and say, "Hi, how are you? By the way, fancy being my executor?"

We literally have NO family in the United States, and although we have some friends we've made over the last 8 years, there's none that live in Tennessee and none that we'd feel all that comfortable with saddling such a morbid task upon OR that we could guarantee wouldn't make off into the sunset with our bank balance and family heirlooms... of which we really don't have any, but you get my point?

It's got me concerned enough to track you all down and see if anyone's had the same ish, and if you can impart your wonderful wisdoms upon me and help a girl out.

Thank you!
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding A State-Based Executor To A Will!

Do you trust your lawyer to do it?
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 9:13 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Do you trust your lawyer to do it?
Some lawyers consider it a conflict of interest. Some don't. But many do.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute

Our lawyer did actually ask if we knew a lawyer that was in Tennessee that we could possibly ask to do it, but she did mention that it would be a conflict of interest for her. Obviously she couldn't do it, so it had to be someone else.

Unfortunately we've never used a lawyer here, so we don't know of anyone. But that's a good point. Maybe I could just contact a different reputable lawyer in the area and vet them thoroughly and see if they'd be willing to act as the alternate executor in that event.

My lawyer did say that in all the 20-something years she's been doing wills and estates, she's never known the alternate executor be called upon because, frankly, you'd have to be pretty unfortunate to have both spouses killed the same day, and then have BOTH executors of the decedents that are in the UK be uncontactable and hence needing the alternate options to come into play. But I'd still rather cover all bases as securely as possible! (Not that I'm overly pessimistic or anything, but still...)
Old Nov 4th 2015, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Our lawyer also said that he could not do it but recommended the trust department of a local bank. We met with them and were very satisfied with what they offered. In our wills they are the back-up in the event of other executors not being available or willing to serve.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 12:00 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Our lawyer also said that he could not do it but recommended the trust department of a local bank. We met with them and were very satisfied with what they offered. In our wills they are the back-up in the event of other executors not being available or willing to serve.
This is exactly where we ended up.

I am happy to report that we have had no need to see how well it works in practice.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's a great idea. I didn't realize that banks offered such a service. I'll look into it.

Thanks so much for your input!
Old Nov 4th 2015, 9:10 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
That's a great idea. I didn't realize that banks offered such a service. I'll look into it.

Thanks so much for your input!
Yes banks are an option. But you can also take a lot of your money out of the entire "will and probate" thing and pass it directly to your daughter. Any money you have in retirement accounts like IRA, ROTH, 401k etc can be left directly to your daughter simply by making her the beneficiary. The money in those accounts will not be included in your estate when you die and will pass directly to your daughter.
Old Nov 4th 2015, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, you're right. Our lawyer mentioned that things like insurance polices have named beneficiaries and so are dealt with separately to the estate when a person passes away. But you make a good point about IRAs and 401Ks. Another thing for me to look into...

Thank you so much.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:06 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Yes, you're right. Our lawyer mentioned that things like insurance polices have named beneficiaries and so are dealt with separately to the estate when a person passes away. But you make a good point about IRAs and 401Ks. Another thing for me to look into...

Thank you so much.
Lots of people just ignore assigning beneficiaries to IRAs etc and that is a big mistake as it means they all go into the will and through probate. FYI your beneficiary designations on retirement accounts trump anything you put in your will.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Lots of people just ignore assigning beneficiaries to IRAs etc and that is a big mistake as it means they all go into the will and through probate. FYI your beneficiary designations on retirement accounts trump anything you put in your will.
Does the same apply to bank and brokerage accounts?
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:14 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Does the same apply to bank and brokerage accounts?
No, just stuff like ROTHs, IRA, 401k, 403b etc. Just take a look at your accounts and any that ask for beneficiaries can be kept out of probate. If you don't designate anyone they get included in your estate and must go through probate.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
No, just stuff like ROTHs, IRA, 401k, 403b etc. Just take a look at your accounts and any that ask for beneficiaries can be kept out of probate. If you don't designate anyone they get included in your estate and must go through probate.
Thanks nun, good info as always.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, thanks, Nun. Very helpful.

You learn something new every day.

In fact, in my case, I seem to be learning lots of somethings new every day!
Old Nov 5th 2015, 7:04 pm
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

Now is also a time to explore whether or not a Trust is of benefit to your situation too, even as beneficiary; (and whether they can be held/managed/registered in another state) and how that also affects its/your tax position etc. They differ from state to state by means of different state laws regarding trusts, creditors and subsequent tax. Probate obviously vary from state to state and subsequent timeframes. So, always run the hypothetical scenario ahead of time and plan accordingly, as you are currently doing.

As part of Probate, the court records the Will - ie they become public record and details of such; that's why creditors often troll PRs (Trust details, at least in CO, remain confidential and are not recorded) and have different tax implications.

Also, make sure your Title (not deed) of any real estate match your wishes of a Will etc as Title, in many states, determine survivorship rights regardless of what a will says and is a very common area why Wills are contested regarding property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.