British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Finding a job without a ss number (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/finding-job-without-ss-number-424810/)

Mister_Sam Feb 7th 2007 3:32 pm

Finding a job without a ss number

Hey guys, before you say anything let me explain my situation.

Basically, I have a place at NYU studying for a masters. However that starts in May and thats when my student visa begins.

However I am living in NYC on a tourist visa until the end of April, then I will return to England, get my student visa and then return.

Until then, I would like to find some sort of job, even though i'm only on a tourist visa but i've been told I will be able to find cash in hand work, at a bar or suchlike.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to start? I've been thinking of just asking in random bars but i'm not sure.

Duncan Roberts Feb 7th 2007 3:52 pm

Re: Finding a job without a ss number

My advice would be look into the penalties for working illegally, then decide if it's worth it. Personally I would forget the idea.

another bloody yank Feb 7th 2007 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mister_Sam (Post 4374656)
I've been thinking of just asking in random bars but i'm not sure.

That would be better than asking on the internet.

Jerseygirl Feb 7th 2007 3:55 pm

Basically, I have a place at NYU studying for a masters. However that starts in May and thats when my student visa begins.

However I am living in NYC on a tourist visa until the end of April, then I will return to England, get my student visa and then return.

Until then, I would like to find some sort of job, even though i'm only on a tourist visa but i've been told I will be able to find cash in hand work, at a bar or suchlike.

Can anyone give me any advice on where to start? I've been thinking of just asking in random bars but i'm not sure.

Yes...don't ask on a public forum how to obtain work illegally :rolleyes:

another bloody yank Feb 7th 2007 4:05 pm

On second thought, can you handle a rake and a lawnmower?

The U.S. job office for people in your situation is called "Home Depot" It's a big orange and white building, they are in most cities and suburbs. You should see a group of fellows standing around in the parking lot. Join the group and before you know it, you'll be employed!

Mister_Sam Feb 7th 2007 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by another bloody yank (Post 4374747)
That would be better than asking on the internet.

Well, im only asking, nothing illegal in that.

Also, I wouldnt use my real name on a public forum would I? :)

BigDavyG Feb 7th 2007 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mister_Sam (Post 4374810)
Well, im only asking, nothing illegal in that.

Actually I think soliciting for work might be.
Check out your local irish bar would be my suggestion.

Bob Feb 7th 2007 4:36 pm

You ain't allowed to work on the VWP, it'll throw major spanners in the works and get you deported.

Student visa, you wouldn't be allowed to work for the first semester, and when allowed to work, it will only be on campus work...to get the visa in the first place, you have to show that you had the funds to support yourself to begin with, so how did you get around that?

Dan725 Feb 7th 2007 5:56 pm

As you have said, you can try asking in bars and what have you.

But being as you will have little to gain, and a lot to lose as you are pending a proper visa, I wouldn't want to risk it personally. Why not go back to England now, get a job in a bar in London, then come back in May? You'll get to spend plenty of time in New York after that, if you want to build up some cash in the meantime, go home and build it, to be safe.

Celsius Feb 7th 2007 6:18 pm

A tourist visa is just that. It's for visitors and not for those who will work in the US. If you're short of money, it'd be best to return to the UK and work till you begin your Masters.

If you're serious about studying in the US and you already have the student visa ready to activate, why are you jeopardizing that?