Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a Job in Charlotte, NC (Finance)

Finding a Job in Charlotte, NC (Finance)

Old Aug 2nd 2020, 9:57 am
Just Joined

vealie28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a Job in Charlotte, NC (Finance)

Hi all,

New user here so if this topic is already being discussed please point me in the right direction!

I currently live in London with my US Fiancé, I work in asset management operations and have done so for c.9 years. We are due to be married next year and plan to move to Charlotte, NC to be closer to her family.

I know that BAML and Wells Fargo are headquartered here, but are there any other smaller boutique asset managers offering something other than the big corporate roles?

Also, and I think most importantly, how would you recommend securing a job there before actually moving? I’m concerned about moving there with no job and income to find one once we are there. Is this the only way?

Possibly worth noting I aim to be a full CFA holder by the time we arrive.

Appreciate the help!!!

Tom
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 2:48 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a Job in Charlotte, NC (Finance)

After reading so many scenarios here in BE, it seems that it's nearly impossible to secure a job in the USA prior to moving there.

Your USC future spouse will need to complete an I-864 Affidavit of Support to be your financial sponsor. Hopefully you guys will be able to show enough in savings, or you'll have to use a joint sponsor, if your USC spouse is not working back in the USA by then.

You need to plan the finances carefully. Don't count on you having a job waiting for you in the USA.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Hi Rene,

Thank you for your response. So if she is transferred with her current job she will be able to complete the affidavit to show financial support before I find a job?

If she isn’t working and we both move unemployed we have to show enough in savings to show we can support ourselves until a job becomes available?

Thanks again!
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 3:52 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Finding a job ahead will be difficult, though not impossible - I did so myself (though that was 19 years ago), but you will make things immeasurably more difficult if you insist on a specific location. As we often advise people under similar (spousal-sponsorship) situations as yourself, if you're looking for a job, be thankful if you can find one anywhere, and once you're over and established, say after a couple of years, the consider trying to find a job closer to your preferred location.

I started in NY, but you might also consider looking at Boston, Chicago, and St Louis, and presumably New York, if trying to get a job lined up ahead is as important to you as it was to me.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - I assume that its best for me to have my spousal visa in place and then start looking for work? I can't imagine many employers giving anyone any time who does not even have the right to work there yet.

Is there a recruitment firm over in the US that I could look at just to scope out the availability of jobs within my area?

This is all very helpful by the way - very much appreciated!

Tom
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:13 pm
Lt Col (Retd)

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vealie28 View Post
Thanks - I assume that its best for me to have my spousal visa in place and then start looking for work? I can't imagine many employers giving anyone any time who does not even have the right to work there yet.

Is there a recruitment firm over in the US that I could look at just to scope out the availability of jobs within my area?

This is all very helpful by the way - very much appreciated! .....
​​​​​​I had three job offers on the table before my spouse visa had been approved, but I had a great recruitment agent who put in the leg work. As that was nearly 20 years ago, and not in asset management, I don't know how it might work today. YMMV.

The advice here is often "networking through LinkedIn", though honestly I don't know how realistic that is.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 2nd 2020 at 4:54 pm.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
​​​​​​I had three job offers on the table before my spouse visa had been approved, but I had a great recruitment agent who put in the leg work. As that was nearly 20 years ago, and not in asset management, I don't know how it might work today. YMMV.

he advice here is often "networking through LinkedIn", though honestly I don't know how realistic that is.
Oh wow, a good position to be in!
Ill try anything! Ill fire up LinkedIn and see if there is any traction on there.

Tom
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:35 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene,

Thank you for your response. So if she is transferred with her current job she will be able to complete the affidavit to show financial support before I find a job?

If she isn’t working and we both move unemployed we have to show enough in savings to show we can support ourselves until a job becomes available?

Thanks again!
Look up the I-864 form and instructions at www.uscis.gov for details.

Rene
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:52 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I currently live in London with my US Fiancé, I work in asset management operations and have done so for c.9 years. We are due to be married next year and plan to move to Charlotte, NC to be closer to her family.
Where do you plan to get married? The visa you choose could have an impact on how far down the road you are looking before you are going to be eligible to work in the US. If you haven't decided, the marriage section of the forum has lots of folks who will be happy to help you.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

We are getting married in the UK. Im assuming this option will be the one that means a longer wait!

Thanks - ill have a look at the marriage section too
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
Look up the I-864 form and instructions at www.uscis.gov for details.

Rene
Thanks. T
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:03 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

IMO, you should be saving now in the expectation that you may not find your 'ideal' job for awhile. The job market here is not exactly great right now, and although we are talking over a year from now, it may still be sluggish at that time.
Old Aug 4th 2020, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

JosiesJourney is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

You definitely need to be eligible to work before you will get interviews. I just started a new job and the process was loooooong. Not only because all interviews are remote - which is actually not a bad thing - but I get the sense employers are being so much more stringent than before. 2 years ago I just had one f2f interview and presentation. This job I now had took me 10 interviews and assessments/ presentation, etc. for 1 job! in fintech. If you post your resume on Monster/ indeed and glassdoor, you'll do better than linked in - I found it is a bit more vague in job searching and some jobs stay posted for months when they've been filled. Once you have your resume posted a million recruiters will be contacting you so you can choose the most professional ones. ALL job applications ask you if you are eligible to work in the US and you can't lie so if you select no then you will be gated out of the application which is why I think it's best to post your resume first. Linked in is prob good to just update your profile and set yourself as open to offers and then recruiters will find you.
Good luck!
Old Aug 4th 2020, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Tons of jobs in finance here at all sizes.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Would anyone be interested a couple of years out, unless you are the bees knees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.