Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Finding a job

Finding a job

Old Jul 12th 2004, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

resu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a job

Could you share your experiences in being a foreigner and finding a job in the U.S.?

Do American companies "trust" foreigners?

Do they accept accents and people having other native tongues?

Do they have understandings for foreign educations?

I know it's more or less impossible to get a work permit unless a company in your home country transfers you, but that's not what I'm asking for. I've searched all over the web for experiences on finding jobs in America being a foreigner and living there, but can't really find what I'm looking for.

I'm Swedish and will move to the U.S. next year and get my work permit within a couple of months. I need a job, but to be honest I'm more than abit worried. I got a 4-year degree from Sweden (master degree in business) and could easily get a good job here, but have no clue about my future in America.

Thanks for any kind of help, advice or comments.

Ola
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding a job

Originally posted by occl
Could you share your experiences in being a foreigner and finding a job in the U.S.?

I know it's more or less impossible to get a work permit unless a company in your home country transfers you, but that's not what I'm asking for. I've searched all over the web for experiences on finding jobs in America being a foreigner and living there, but can't really find what I'm looking for.

I'm Swedish and will move to the U.S. next year and get my work permit within a couple of months. I need a job, but to be honest I'm more than abit worried. I got a 4-year degree from Sweden (master degree in business) and could easily get a good job here, but have no clue about my future in America.

Thanks for any kind of help, advice or comments.

Ola
If I were you, I'd post my resume/CV on the hot jobs website etc.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

From what I've heard, they only keep the resume for 6 months. And there's no point of applying for jobs before you got the actual work permit (which I won't have until 3 months after I arrive in America next summer). So what I'm doing now is just waiting and trying to do as much research as possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
Ola
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:05 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a couple of Swedish friends who live in Miami. They totally love it and I've certainly never heard them mention having a hard time with employment because of their accents or where they're from.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Just rang after a driving job at Dulles airport. First question they asked, have you got a green card. Nope, end of interview.. I thought it was illegal to do that ?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Just rang after a driving job at Dulles airport. First question they asked, have you got a green card. Nope, end of interview.. I thought it was illegal to do that ?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Did you tell them that you have a permanent work permit (if you have one)?

Ola
Old Jul 13th 2004, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

It is illegal unless the job requires a certain type of security clearance. I suspect many airport jobs do. Although I would have thought they would state that in the job ad.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Yeah got my green card April. Keep on applying but getting nowhere. I am guessing they either want a USC or a hispanic they can pay peanuts.

Last edited by doctor scrumpy; Jul 13th 2004 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant futureSteff has a brilliant future

Ola
They don't seem to in western PA, but maybe in other parts of the US.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Henry George is an unknown quantity at this point

Ola

YES
NO
NO
NO
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Henry George is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah got my green card April. Keep on applying but getting nowhere. I am guessing they either want a USC or a hispanic they can pay peanuts.
So why should you get a job over a USC? They have been here longer and are citizens. You are no different to the hispanics and thus deserve nothing but peanuts yourself, want a good job, though I doubt you ever have had one, go home. Simple.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

You are an original Native American then ? Or were your family immigrants too ? As for wanting a job, yes of course I want to work, may as well as too many of the local yanks are too damn idle to get a job it seems.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 4:07 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

You are an original Native American then ? Or were your family immigrants too ? As for wanting a job, yes of course I want to work, may as well as too many of the local yanks are too damn idle to get a job it seems.
Ignore the Moron Henry George..he is just a Dave W disciple...he come and goes with his drivel ...this one is in the 12 -14 year old range..
Old Jul 13th 2004, 5:29 pm
Steff

Originally posted by Henry George
    > So why should you get
a job over a USC? They have been here longer and are citizens. You are
no different to the hispanics and thus deserve nothing but peanuts
yourself, want a good job, though I doubt you ever have had one, go
home. Simple.
Don't worry, we aren't all complete idiots like
Henry :)

Henry, do you want to make Americans look stupid or what?

--
Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.